View Full Version : Just ordered an SL-C860.

dh
04-30-2004, 10:35 PM
I've been waiting for something exciting in the PPC world for a while but I've just given in to tempation and ordered a Sharp C860 from Japan.

Knowing my luck, by the time it arrives there will be new VGA PPCs all over the place.

I use my Axim every day, but it's been really stable and configuared just how I want it for months now - basically boring really. I want something that will be fun to try and learn about again and I'm hoping the Zaurus will do the trick.

I've always loved the Cxxx hardware since I first saw one a couple of years ago. I just hope I will be able to find some good apps to use. I know there is an open source PIM program that is supposed to be pretty good, I'll miss PI though I'm sure. What would be great is if the Linux versions of Textmaker and Planmaker can be made to work.

If anyone's interested there is a review of the C760 (a close relative) at Brighthand http://www.brighthand.com/article/Sharp_SL-C760_Review

Just have to see now if I can live with it or it ends up at EBay. :D

CTSLICK
04-30-2004, 11:00 PM
AWESOME. I came so very close to buying one of these from someone on eBay since he was local and I simply think the whole form factor rocks!. The ONLY thing that stopped me is the apparent lack of a Citrix client for any of the handheld Linux flavors. Seriously, my finger was hovering over the Buy It Now button. If I could find someone who has made Citrix work then I would be getting one. Citrix is crucial to my work existence

dh
04-30-2004, 11:14 PM
I assure you, my finger hovered over the BUY button many times before going ahead. I was tempted by the Tosh e805 as well, but it didn't really seem to be enough of a step forward from to Axim to justify.

Now, if Sharp were to sign up with MS and offer this hardware with WM SE(and add the built-in wireless) it would be just about perfect. Still Linux should be a challange.

Fishie
05-01-2004, 02:40 AM
I assure you, my finger hovered over the BUY button many times before going ahead. I was tempted by the Tosh e805 as well, but it didn't really seem to be enough of a step forward from to Axim to justify.

Now, if Sharp were to sign up with MS and offer this hardware with WM SE(and add the built-in wireless) it would be just about perfect. Still Linux should be a challange.

Dude dont compare the brilliance of the e800 with the low level Axim

dh
05-01-2004, 03:30 AM

Dude dont compare the brilliance of the e800 with the low level Axim
Specification wise I agree with you. However in my opinion the e805 was very flimsy and poorly made compared with my X5. If the build quality had been as good as the Dell I would have bought one. My local Circuit City has an "Open Box" one right now for about $500.00, nice deal.

The memory and screen were certainly tempting I must admit. Mind you the C860 is 128 and 64 for memory and VGA so it's up there as well.

I honestly didn't feel that any of the current PPCs were a big enough step up to replace the Axim. The Asus A730 is going to be THE PPC when it arrives, whenever that might be.

Fishie
05-01-2004, 04:13 AM
The Axim feels so cheap when i hold it.
Cheap plastic cheap looks and way too big for what it offers.
Feels like I can just squueeze and break it.

Aerestis
05-01-2004, 06:08 AM
It seems that palms are more tough feeling. But wow, I wouldn't care to have to deal with flimsy devices if they were as nice as the zaurus or the e805 :) I hope that the linux style handheld works out for you, I'm hoping to try one out one day as well.

SoftMaker
05-01-2004, 10:42 AM
I've always loved the Cxxx hardware since I first saw one a couple of years ago. I just hope I will be able to find some good apps to use. I know there is an open source PIM program that is supposed to be pretty good, I'll miss PI though I'm sure. What would be great is if the Linux versions of Textmaker and Planmaker can be made to work.
You mean like this?
http://www.softmaker.com/down/zaurus.jpg

In fact, TextMaker for Zaurus is close to beta. Contact me at martin-k (at) softmaker.de if you want to be part of the beta program.

Martin Kotulla
SoftMaker Software GmbH

Qman
05-01-2004, 01:12 PM
Hey Martin you got email!

dh
05-01-2004, 01:27 PM
I'm feeling really good about this decision now. :D

billbuckner
05-01-2004, 06:21 PM
[quote="Fishie"]The Axim feels so cheap when i hold it.
quote]
I don't think the Axim is that bad. The X5 seems sturdy, while the X3 seems fragile rather than cheap