View Full Version : What happens when you drop one of those acrylic clear cases.

hhong
04-30-2004, 07:35 AM
I've had my ipaq 2215 for just under a month now. The first thing I did when I got it was put on a screen protector (of course) and order a new case. The case I chose was one of those clear acrylic types. The most well known is probably the one by JavoEdge, but regardless of the seller, I think they all come from the same source. I got mine from meritline for half the price.

I chose this case for the novelty. It looked cool. But I also trusted that it would protect my ipaq from normal wear and in the event of a fall. I assumed that if I dropped it, the ipaq would be okay, because the case would absorb the impact by shattering. Apparently, I was wrong.

Today I had my first spill. I dropped the ipaq about 3 feet onto concrete. It wasn't a pleasant experience. :( I should also mention, I had added protection in that the ipaq was not only in the clear case, but also in the slip case that came with the unit. (to clearify, I had the ipaq in the clear case and the entire thing in the slipcase) However, the clearcase is a little large for the slipcase and the top of it protrudes out. The bundle actually landed on the top corner of the clearcase. So the clearcase actually absorbed the initial and hardest impact of the fall.

When I inspected the ipaq, It seemed okay. It turned on fine. No problems and no dents or scratches, yeah! But what surprised me is when I inspected the clearcase, there were no scratched on it either. Nor did it shatter or crack or have its little joint pins bust off. :mrgreen:

Not so say there was no damage. When I opened the case the ipaq had come loose. If you are familiar with this case you know that the unit is secured by tabs that fit into the accessory holes in back of the 2215. I was sure these had cracked off. But when I removed the ipaq, they were still firmly attached to the case. They had not broken off, they had actually been stretched upwards. The force of the impact pulled the pins upward and they were frozen into that stretched out shape. I tried to see if I could push the tabs back into place but I could only force it so far for fear of finally snapping them off. Anyway, the tabs are still a little tweaked but still hold the ipaq in place. The case is still useable and I can't find any other signs of damage. Apparently I was wrong about the case being made of acrylic. I read in another review that the plastic was similar to lexan. I guess it has some unique qualities.

I'm really glad chose this case. Not only does it look great, it actually protected my Ipaq. Just thought I would share this info for people who are considering this case.

hollis_f
04-30-2004, 08:12 AM
That's really great news. It was the only thing that worried me about these cases. I've dropped mine from about 5 feet onto a carpeted floor with no effect. They do seem extremely strong for their weight.