View Full Version : ActiveSync not picking up

OSUKid7
04-28-2004, 08:47 PM
OK, here it is: I can't get ActiveSync (3.7.1.4034) to recognize/connect to my iPaq 3870 w/ PPC2003. I have reset my iPaq and done everything short of a hard reset. I also just reformatted my computer, and I'm STILL having the problem.

Before I reformatted, I had been having this problem for a few weeks - off and on. Sometimes I could get it to sync by disabling weird options on my iPaq and computer. I've tried the same things, and nothing seems to be working. I haven't been able to sync since I reformatted my computer (but before I reformatted, it took a ton of work to get it to sync).

Any ideas??? I am willing to do a full reset, but as a LAST resort only. HELP! lol :cry:

edit: the weird thing is, when I put my iPaq in the cradle, I hear the ActiveSync connect sound - but only sometimes...usually I just hear the default Windows connection sound. Also, when I take out my iPaq from the cradle, the "Microsoft ActiveSync cannot recognize this device" dialog comes up. Any ideas????

Steven Cedrone
04-28-2004, 09:21 PM
When things started to fail, had you changed anything on the device? If it were me (just for peace of mind) I would back up the Pocket PC and do a hard reset and see if the problem goes away...

Steve

OSUKid7
04-28-2004, 09:30 PM
Nope, nothing out of the ordinary. I guess I had installed some freeware apps, but I've tried uninstalling those too.

Hmm, for a backup, wouldn't I need ActiveSync? or do you mean backup to an SD card? If I do that, would I just restore everything back -- including the problems?

Steven Cedrone
04-29-2004, 01:36 AM
Nope, nothing out of the ordinary. I guess I had installed some freeware apps, but I've tried uninstalling those too.

Hmm, for a backup, wouldn't I need Active Sync? or do you mean backup to an SD card? If I do that, would I just restore everything back -- including the problems?

Yes, backup to SD card. If the problem is not with your software, you would restore the backup. If it is a problem with your software, you start reinstalling apps until you find the culprit!

Steve

OSUKid7
04-29-2004, 01:40 AM
Alright, so do a backup, then immediately restore from that? or do a hard reset, test it, and then restore if it doesn't work?

Steven Cedrone
04-29-2004, 01:54 AM
Alright, so do a backup, then immediately restore from that? or do a hard reset, test it, and then restore if it doesn't work?

Do the backup, hard reset, try and see if ActiveSync behaves. If it doesn't, restore, you have another problem. If it does behave, you have some sort of software conflict, start reinstalling your apps one at a time and keep testing...

Steve

Brad Adrian
04-29-2004, 03:32 AM
You also might just make sure that your cradle isn't the culprit. If you have access to another cradle or a synch/charge cable, give it a try, just to rule out a back connection as the culprit.

OSUKid7
04-29-2004, 03:38 AM
You also might just make sure that your cradle isn't the culprit. If you have access to another cradle or a synch/charge cable, give it a try, just to rule out a back connection as the culprit.
That was my other idea. Unfortunately, I don't have another cradle, and wouldn't like to have to buy another one.

What about trying to sync via IrDA on my Tablet PC? At least setup the sync? But even if that worked, I'd still prolly want to do a hard reset to make sure it was the cradle.

BTW, does anyone know the warrenty on an iPaq 3870? I bought it about two years ago (if I remember correctly). Any chance that HP would help me if I called?

Ripper014
04-29-2004, 03:52 AM
The warranty on most devices is one year... so I would assume the same would apply to you.

If your issues are that bad.. I would first try to sync via I/R if you have the capacity for it. Next I would do a full backup, I would then rebuild my PocketPC from scratch.

Note that the backup that you make is still useful... yes you are correct that doing a "FULL" restore would most likely also restore all your issues... however... by doing the backup you can selectively recover some important data.. such as an Ewallet File... or a Cash Organizer File... etc... Just because you did a full backup does not mean you need to do a full restore. After you have your PocketPC back up and running go through the backup and restore the data files that you need.

Your dBase files for Outlook will be taken care of... I am talking about any 3rd party programs that you might use.

If your PocketPC will not sync after a hard reset then the problem probably lies either in your cradle or the serial port on your PDA...

OSUKid7
04-29-2004, 03:58 AM
Alright. Thx for the help all. I'll post how everything turns out. Doubt I'll have time to get much done before the weekend.

waterboy
04-30-2004, 10:14 PM
Like you, I have a 3870, WM2003, and an expansion pack with CF wireless at home. I use bluetooth to sync at work. I also have had occasional problems syncing at both places. What usually works for me is using Task Manager on my PC to kill the processes WCESMgr.exe and wcescomm.exe, then soft reset the iPAQ, and and finally restart ActiveSync on the PC. That generally solves the problem. :D

OSUKid7
04-30-2004, 10:59 PM
Like you, I have a 3870, WM2003, and an expansion pack with CF wireless at home. I use bluetooth to sync at work. I also have had occasional problems syncing at both places. What usually works for me is using Task Manager on my PC to kill the processes WCESMgr.exe and wcescomm.exe, then soft reset the iPAQ, and and finally restart ActiveSync on the PC. That generally solves the problem. :D
Interesting...it looks like when I kill those processes and restart ActiveSync, it automatically comes up with the "Microsoft ActiveSync cannotrecognize this device" error - even before I put my iPaq in the cradle. When I put it in, on my iPaq it says Connect To `USB
[Cancel] [Hide Status]
And on my computer, the device not recognized screen disappears, but ActiveSync just says No partnerships
Not connected
:( Darn. Very strange. Will hopefully get a chance to try IrDA sync with my Tablet PC later tonight, and then maybe do a hard reset after backing up.

waterboy
04-30-2004, 11:37 PM
To me, the message that comes up before you cradle the iPAQ implies a bad cable or bad cradle connection.

Have you tried syncing using your wireless network connection? You'll need to enable the ActiveSync - Connections Settings - Allow Network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS) Connection...

OSUKid7
04-30-2004, 11:52 PM
Have you tried syncing using your wireless network connection? You'll need to enable the ActiveSync - Connections Settings - Allow Network (Ethernet) and Remote Access Service (RAS) Connection...
The problem with that is I just reformatted my hard drive, so I don't have an ActiveSync connection setup, so I can't sync remotely. My iPaq gives this message when I try:
You cannot syncronize information with this PC until you have established an ActiveSync partnership with it. To do so, reconnect your device and you will be prompted to establish a partnership.

Also, when I remove my iPaq from the cradle, I get the same "Device not recognized" error message. I guess I can call HP sometime, but they'll prolly just tell me to do a hard reset.

OSUKid7
05-02-2004, 01:11 AM
Can someone help me out? How do you do a hard reset on an iPaq 3870 again? I thought it was the 1st and 4th buttons, and hit the soft reset button for a couple of seconds, but I've tried that several times, and it just does a soft reset.

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 06:01 AM
Can someone help me out? How do you do a hard reset on an iPaq 3870 again?
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25724

In particular, you must hold the two buttons down, and while doing so, soft-reset for at least 3-5 seconds. Then, let go and the screen should disintegrate and clear completely (about a minute). Then soft-reset again, and you've got a hard reset.

--janak

OSUKid7
05-02-2004, 03:49 PM
Thanks! That worked, and it looks like it's syncing fine. Now to find all the exe's to reinstall my programs. I should really make a CD of those lol.