View Full Version : Sony Clie PEG-UX40.... Help!

Flamingyak
04-28-2004, 03:56 AM
For my birthday, my parents purchased for me the Clie PEG-UX40, a Palm powered device with a built in camera, 480x320 resolution, clamshell design, OS5.2, and many other features. It was on sale for $299, normally goes for $499.

Is there another Pocket PC that would give me as many options as this one would? Keep in mind that this is more highly rated than the T3. I am concerned that I would be hard pressed to find as good of a deal for only $299.

I feel so bad, almost being a convert away from the PPC realm! :oops: Help would be appreciated! :lol:

Thanks!

Yak out.

Aerestis
04-28-2004, 06:45 AM
That's a nice device. I would keep it maybe... But if you're an anti-palm, I imagine you could sell the thing on ebay for more than 300 if it's brand new, and then pick up something else.

Stephen Beesley
04-28-2004, 08:32 AM
I hate to say it, but I do not think that there is anything in the Pocket PC world with a feature list like that at them moment. There are some good devices out there with some of the features but none that would match up exactly. The Motorola PPCE device that is due out sometime in the next few months would probably be the closest but that is still in the future.

That said it really depends on which of the features really appeal to you. If you want to stay in the PPC world but crave the higher resolution, for example, then the e805 might be the device for you. Or if it is the camera you want you might want to wait for the Asus 730.

If it was me (I wish :D) I would probably keep the Clie - they look like a nice device. If after a few months you just cannot "bond" with it then you would still probably get a good price for it on ebay second hand and by then who knows what might have come out in the Pocket PC world!

arnage2
04-28-2004, 01:43 PM
how bout a zire 72?

Flamingyak
04-28-2004, 02:23 PM
I'm gonna venture a no on the Zire idea. For the money, this is just the best bang for the buck. A FANTASTIC deal my parents took advantage of. It just feels so weird, abandoning the PPC realm so suddenly! Anyone know of any good Palm games? :lol:

Thanks for the input.

Yak out.

Stephen Beesley
04-28-2004, 04:05 PM
I'm gonna venture a no on the Zire idea. For the money, this is just the best bang for the buck. A FANTASTIC deal my parents took advantage of. It just feels so weird, abandoning the PPC realm so suddenly! Anyone know of any good Palm games? :lol:

Thanks for the input.

Yak out.

'fraid I cannot help you with that one! I have never used a palm for more than a few minutes myself, but if I was in your shoes I would become a convert pretty damn fast :D

Seriously - I know there are lots of Palm dedicated sites out there where you will probably get lots of suggestions. Of course just because you might be using a palm for the moment shouldn't mean that you don't still feel welcome here!

Fishie
04-28-2004, 04:46 PM
Dont like the UX devices, screens are way too small for what they offer and the machine is not exactly stable or fast.

jonathanchoo
04-28-2004, 06:19 PM
Warfare, Inc. Snails (which looks way better on PalmOS HVGA - if you own the PPC license you also own the PalmOS license), Magic World, Stone Age+, all the usual Astraware games (including the latest release Hellfire), Handmark Solitaire, Monopoly, Legacy, Dreamway, Intersteller Flames, Jack or 100 Ways to Barbecue, SpyChase 3D, Duke Nukem (July) etc

For emulation, NesEM can play old NES games.

But UX s**** in gaming, there are no proper buttons and is dead slow. I rather have the T3 or Zire 72 (which uses the new Bulverde processor at 312Mhz - slower than T3 but benchmarks indicate it to be alot closer to 400Mhz XScale than those numbers represent).