View Full Version : Portable Music player

Trimac20
04-28-2004, 02:31 AM
What type of portable device do you usually use to listen to music? Of which is your primary device for listening to music? (not which device you'd like to have). I suppose I should include 'ipaq' as one of the options, but I was wondering how many of you also own an MP3 player. I've got a cheap MP3 player, Portable CD Player and ipaq but tend to use my ipaq as a music device as I bring it with me most of the time. Anyway, it'll be interesting to see the results.[/b]

Trimac20
04-29-2004, 04:23 AM
Its surprising to see so few people own the Old Walkmans, considering they WERE the best-selling music devices. Kind of a pity to see their decline, but then you remember how crappy casettes were. We really have come a long way...:-)

Kowalski
04-30-2004, 07:36 PM
why should i buy an additional music player when i have my georgious ipaq!!!

Jeff Rutledge
04-30-2004, 08:41 PM
I'm very happy using my iPAQ 2215 and Sony Fontopia headphones. Great sound!

Trimac20
05-03-2004, 03:58 AM
The results look conclusive, it is very convenient that the ipaq has stereo quality sound (in my opinion, better than the ipod). This may start a debate, but I wonder if there is any difference between the sound quality of different ipaq models from the headphones? I would think they would have the same sound chip, but I wonder if there is any difference between the old Compaq models and the new 4350? Whatever the case, the 4350 audio sounds great. Pity it can only store so little music :( .

Kacey Green
05-03-2004, 04:13 AM
There IS at least some difference, a couple of the iPAQs didn't have the bass & treble controls in iPAQ audio, probably due to a lack of hardware support

Janak Parekh
05-03-2004, 04:26 AM
There IS at least some difference, a couple of the iPAQs didn't have the bass & treble controls in iPAQ audio, probably due to a lack of hardware support
Only the 36xx and 37xx units had no direct UI for bass/treble control -- but the DSP was actually embedded in the units, and given an appropriate playback program you could utilize them.

All of the newer units (starting with the 38xx models) have had DSP-based bass/treble controls in Control Panel. And the quality has generally remained quite good. :) Trimac20, which old iPAQ gave you lousy quality? I've been happy with the quality of my iPAQs since my original 3650. In fact, I've also found them a bit better than my iPod, although I use the latter due to its flexibility.

--janak

tanalasta
05-03-2004, 04:52 AM
I use my portable sony CD-player with a decent set of headphones for all my portable music. Why? Because although my toshi e310 works great as an MP3 player, I don't have enough space on my storage card; it takes too long to transfer music over via the usb cradle and a set of AA rechargables last 30+ hours vs 3-4 hours i get on my PPC :P

Kacey Green
05-03-2004, 11:45 AM
only three to four hours

I was complaining before I was able to juice out 6 from Rex, my iPAQ 2200

Trimac20
05-04-2004, 05:21 AM
The 4350 is my first ipaq (and PDA), and compared to other music devices I would rank it right up there. It's better than most MP3 players (ipod included) - the sound sounds richer. But I do remember listening to some music on my friend's old 3xxx series (no idea what model), and I remember it didn't sound too good at all, as if recorded from the radio. But then it's probably just the song.
On the topic, what about Pocket PC vs Palm in terms of MP3 quality? I am betting the Pocket PCs sound far superior to anything Palm can offer, but the most expensive Sony Clies.

Janak Parekh
05-04-2004, 05:57 AM
I am betting the Pocket PCs sound far superior to anything Palm can offer, but the most expensive Sony Clies.
Well, not all Pocket PCs sound the same. In particular, the e3xx units were supposed to have particularly "flat" sound. On the opposite end is the iPAQ series, and rumor has it the Toshiba e805 also has amazing sound (although I haven't tried it, thanks to my iPod).

--janak