View Full Version : Start Menu

AYahoo2000
04-27-2004, 09:33 PM
I'm looking for a way to change the - "Programs" and "Settings" on the Start menu on the PPC, I would like to change the text but I can't find where it is stored, I've looked in any file \ DB \ Reg key... anything that I thought of but I couldn't find where it is stored, anyone has ANY idea how \ where I can find it?

Steven Cedrone
04-28-2004, 03:03 AM
AFAIK, this can't be done! Sorry!

Steve

Deltrevan
04-28-2004, 05:55 AM
Where there is a will...there IS a way!

AYahoo2000
04-28-2004, 05:57 AM
I know that there is a way cause I once installed a program that changed it to something else... the only question is how?!

Steven Cedrone
04-28-2004, 01:24 PM
You know, when I posted that this can't be done, I didn't even realize this was the developer forum. :oops: I think I need a vacation! :wink: Anyway, the begining of this post was meaningless, so I removed it. If you do find the answer, let us know.

You may want to contact "Ctitanic" (do a search on his user name). He would probably be able to do this (he wrote Tweaks2K2)...

Good luck!

Steve

AYahoo2000
04-28-2004, 07:40 PM
I've sent him mail, Hope he will know what to do, I was looking on the "ProgramMenuPlus" App and I saw that it changes the Start menu. now, I think they do so by api event? that the system calls when we push the start button? than taking over the menu and replacing it by another one?
could it be?

Kowalski
04-30-2004, 07:32 PM
lack of good programmers here! especially reverse engineers who does this kind of job!
thats why we dont have cool apps

Pony99CA
05-15-2004, 12:34 PM
I'm looking for a way to change the - "Programs" and "Settings" on the Start menu on the PPC, I would like to change the text but I can't find where it is stored, I've looked in any file \ DB \ Reg key... anything that I thought of but I couldn't find where it is stored, anyone has ANY idea how \ where I can find it?
Whatever you do, do not just try to rename the folders in the \Windows\Start Menu folder (at least not in Resco Explorer).

I tried renaming the Programs and Settings folders by adding an "x" at the end of their names and got errors saying that I could not delete the Programs and Settings folders. I had folders called Programsx and Settingsx, but also new empty folders called Programs and Settings. The Programsx folder contained the shortcuts normally seen in the Programs folder.

However, the Start Menu was messed up. It showed the icons for all of the items I had previously, but no text. Selecting an icon would display the text, but it disappeared again the next time I displayed the menu. A soft reset did not fix this, nor did changing themes. Copying the items in the Programsx folder to the Programs folders didn't work, either.

I eventually tried renaming the Programsx folder to Programs. I was asked if I wanted to delete the Programs folder and its contents, so I said yes. I got errors, but the Start Menu then showed the correct items. However, the Programs folder now had nothing in it!

Copying the items again from the Programsx folder to the Programs folder finally got things working.

Why would somebody want to do this?

Steve

Pony99CA
05-15-2004, 12:36 PM
lack of good programmers here! especially reverse engineers who does this kind of job!
Yeah, there are no cool programs for the Pocket PC. :roll:

Steve

Wiggster
05-15-2004, 06:13 PM
Yeah, there are no cool programs for the Pocket PC. :roll:

Steve

Well, I suppose Pocket Hack Master (http://www.pocketgear.com/software_detail.asp?id=7258) or XCPUScalar (http://www.immiersoft.com/) could be used to underclock your PDAs, and thus keep them from heating up so much, thus being "cool"ing apps.

Kowalski
05-15-2004, 07:31 PM
i am afraid you have a sense of humor different than mine but anyway this made me laugh thank you