View Full Version : Any other Law Students/Lawyers Here?

binstpa
04-27-2004, 03:41 PM
As a veteran (read, 1L) law student I was wondering if there were any other law students on the board. If so, do you use your pocket pc in ways that are good for school? What related uses have you found for your device? What games/programs do you find the best?

Stephen Beesley
04-27-2004, 04:31 PM
I have used my Pocket PCs pretty extensively as an aid to both studying law and working in the area of law and public policy.

With the addition of a Stowaway Keyboard I used it for taking notes in lectures etc and for drafting essays and work documents. The ideal companion software for this task is Textmaker (http://www.softmaker.de/tm_en.htm) especially as it handles footnotes and endnotes (where would the law be without footnotes :D). With this combination I have been able to edit pretty complex documents on my Jornada and then synce them back to my Desktop or laptop.

I also use my Jornada along with Transcriber/Calligrapher for taking notes in meetings or when doing library research - notes which I can then easily transfer to my PC for editing or inclusion in larger documents.

I have also used my Jornada (with a wifi card) to collect and send emails when out and about. This is particularly good for sending or receiving word documents as attachements which, if receiving, can then be opened in Textmaker.

All in all I would not be without my Pocket Pc!

piperpilot
04-27-2004, 06:13 PM
When I was in law school, way back in the 80s, I was using a 256k Leading Edge Model D PC with two 5-1/4 inch floppy drives, a monochrome screen and no hard drive. I was one of the few people who even thought of using a computer to do school work. I used that computer to do course outlines and write my law review paper. If there were such a thing as a Pocket PC back then, I would have been using it. I use my H5455 iPAQ all the time to take notes, manage my calendar and tasks and . . . most importantly, to play music and games.