View Full Version : Watching movies. Battery life on 2215?

nategesner
04-26-2004, 02:17 PM
OK, I just purchased a 1GB CompactFlash card ($107!!) and will be loading some movies for an up-coming business trip. How long will the battery last watching movies with sound?

I'm not worried because I have three batteries, so I can survive even a REALLY long trip. Just curious if one battery would last through a couple movies and maybe have enough left for some games or music.

Jeff Rutledge
04-26-2004, 03:34 PM
You should be fine. I just flew back from Toronto Friday (about a 4 hour flight) and my iPAQ was on most of it. I watched a movie (Airplane :)) and then listened to mp3's and processed some mail. When all was done, I still had about 30%. This was all using the stock battery that comes with the 2215.

prismejon
04-27-2004, 12:23 AM
I watched a movie (Airplane :)) and then listened to mp3's and processed some mail.

PocketPCs are soooooooo cool :D

Neo001
04-27-2004, 08:13 AM
Hey . . . whats up every body , let me just start by saying this . . . you guys have created a great forum . . . :werenotworthy: ok now down to bussiness , im really new to this pocket pc stuff , i just bought my first pocket pc , its a wonderfull , and really good looking 2215 , and i want to know if you guys can tell me what sw to use to view movies . . . im a really huge matrix fans , and it will be great to have revolutions on my 2215 , i have a 256 sd and a 256 cf card . . . hope you can help , cheers !!! :helpme: :confused totally: :bangin:

prismejon
04-27-2004, 09:49 AM
Hi and welcome to PPCT!

I use Windows Media Player (which is already installed on your PocketPC) and I'm very satisfied. You need the free Windows Media Encoder (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx) to convert your movie-files to wmv(windows media video)-format.

You'll find a great tutorial on how to convert your dvd's to wmv-files here (http://percontifamily.com/speedzone/vid.html).
There is also lots of good advice in the media forum (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewforum.php?f=44).

Good luck!

nategesner
04-27-2004, 02:44 PM
I tried using WM Encoder last night and it kept locking up on me. I would select the AVI file to encode (file was created using PocketDivxEncoder) using the wizard. As soon as I click "finish" in the wizard, the program locks up. I tried reinstalling and all that jazz, but to no avail.

Is it possible I need to use a different program to create the AVI file? Any help would be appreciated.

prismejon
04-27-2004, 02:54 PM
I tried using WM Encoder last night and it kept locking up on me. I would select the AVI file to encode (file was created using PocketDivxEncoder) using the wizard. As soon as I click "finish" in the wizard, the program locks up. I tried reinstalling and all that jazz, but to no avail.

When you press "Finish" the application starts loading the selected file. If the file is large, or maybe your machine a little slow, this could take some time. When media encoder loads the file on my computer the application seems to freeze for some time, so I just have to wait. Not good GUI design to not give feedback to user...

nategesner
04-27-2004, 08:58 PM
Thanks. I'll try to give it another shot tonight. It's strange that it would take so long because none of the guides mention any kind of delay. They make it sound like clicking on "Finish" takes me right into the main window. However, this is where mine hangs and seems to do nothing. I get the hour glass, but it doesn't spin or anything. After several minutes, I just gave up.

I have a very fast, very new HP so it is unlikely due to my computer speed.

nategesner
05-19-2004, 02:50 PM
For anyone still reading this thread, I have an update. I loaded some movies on a 1GB CompactFlash card and headed to the airport. I had a full battery to start. I played MP3s for about an hour with the screen off. After boarding the plane, I watched "We Were Soldiers Once", which is over 2.5 hours long. My screen brightness was about 30%. The movie played back great using BetaPlayer. After all this was over, I still had 40% battery life.

Those results are pretty good, considering the length of the movie. I have a spare battery, and could realistically watch three movies and still listen to some MP3s. However, I hope I don't have to take that long of a plane ride again!

Brad Adrian
05-19-2004, 02:54 PM
Your results sound pretty typical. I usually have my screen set to full brightness, so I can only watch one movie before I have to be concerned about it running dry.