View Full Version : CE acting as an AP?

felixdd
04-26-2004, 01:42 AM
Anyone know of any program that allows a CE device attached to a PRISM-based WLAN card to act as an AP? I have a CE device that I want to connect to a dial-up connection, and then use WiFi so I won't be tied to the chair.

Mitchybums
04-26-2004, 04:39 AM
Are you connecting your Windows CE device to a dialup internetconnection like a cellphone, and then use the wifi connection for accessing the internet from a laptop or something?

if so
It might be easier to use IR or get a bluetooth adapter for the other device to hook it up to a cellphone that way.

felixdd
04-26-2004, 07:15 AM
Are you connecting your Windows CE device to a dialup internetconnection like a cellphone, and then use the wifi connection for accessing the internet from a laptop or something?

if so
It might be easier to use IR or get a bluetooth adapter for the other device to hook it up to a cellphone that way.

Nope. I'm using my HPC to access the internet. I have a WiFi card on my HPC and I also have a WiFi card on my Ipaq. Hardware wise I know my card can act as an AP, and I've heard of something like this being done before. I just wanted to try it out myself.

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 01:08 AM
The problem is there's two aspects to what you want to do:

1. Establish a connection between the two WiFi cards. You should be able to do this, assuming the drivers support "Ad-Hoc Mode". That's not strictly an AP, but it's usually sufficient for two-node communication.

2. Set up Internet Connection Sharing that shares the dial-up interface with the WiFi interface. This is a much bigger problem -- you'd have to find a third-party solution for this, but I don't know of one for CE. It should theoretically be doable, but I suspect it's not a common scenario.

--janak