View Full Version : PC Re-Image & Outlook

tvos
04-24-2004, 02:23 AM
PPC Users,

If I decide to re-image my pc and reset my ppc. What are the data files that I need to save so that I can keep the settings the same for outlook addresses?

The last few times I've done this I've had to re-key in 175 phone number names. I use my ppc with my home pc which then the data from the home pc syncs with my on-line account. Anytime there is a change in address/email/date both are sync.

Please advise.

DW

ctmagnus
04-24-2004, 04:22 AM
The main one is at "C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Local Settings\Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst". There are a few others as well as a registry key to get if you want to do a full backup of all your Outlook data, but if all you want is just your email, contacts, etc then the pst file will suffice.

Steven Cedrone
04-24-2004, 04:22 AM
As long as you sync with Outlook, all you should have to do is create a new partnership and sync. All of your contacts should sync back to your device...

Steve

tvos
04-24-2004, 05:59 AM
Friends,

Thank You for the info. I pretty much am aware of the .pst/.ost files but I am also concerned with calendar/apts etc..etc.

To give you a visual of how I use my ppc and sync. I subscribe to a communications provider called www.ureach.com. It allows me to store addresses,phone numbers, calendar entries, apts everything. Ureach has a program that communications with your local outlook installed to your pc. From that point on I use active sync for my ppc which pulls the data from outlook and then back to my communications provider Ureach so data is sync'd both ways.

What I found out is after I re-image my local pc (using ghost) it screws up a few things. Primarly, my address/phone book entries and calendar.

Tell me if this is correct format to follow:

BackUp .ost/.pst files from pc
Re-image pc
Restore .ost/.pst files to pc
Run AS and Ureach sync.

Will this do the trick or should I know a little more?

Thank You,

DW

ctmagnus
04-24-2004, 06:10 AM
I'm not 100% sure how UReach works as I've never used it, but I would sync that to Outlook before syncing the Pocket PC.

tvos
04-25-2004, 11:45 PM
ctmagnus

Thank You for the info. and it did work.

I copied the .ost/.pst files and sync'd with ureach first then added the ppc. I hope it wasn't a fluke and I got lucky, but we'll see what happens next time.

DW

Chris Spera
04-26-2004, 03:53 AM
an OST file is the (usually laptop) version of outlook data kept an Exchange server. If you DELETED this file, you would still have all of the data maintained on the Exchange server. The OST can be recreated at will by reselecting which folders to sync in Resync Options...

If you ever want to do this again, as Steve said, all you have to do is hard reset the PPC and then DELETE the devices partnership in ActiveSync. (make sure that if you have any files synchronized with the device that you DO NOT delete them. You can resetablish a new partnership with the same name and have all of the files copied back...)

Outlook will recopy everything back to your device...