View Full Version : Contact's Sub-Folders don't sync to iPAQ

dkon
04-23-2004, 08:48 PM
Thanks for your help...In Outlook I have a main CONTACTS folder as well as several Contacts Sub-folders. When I sync Outlook with the iPAQ I only get the main Contacts to port-over and not the contacts contained in the sub-folders.

Where can I specify that I want them all to sync to the iPAQ and in the same sub-folder format?

Thanks alot anyone!!!

David

Jason Dunn
04-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Unfortunately, there's no way to do this - Microsoft hasn't created ActiveSync or the Pocket PC to support this. :(

The only solution is to put them all in the root folder and use categories:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,8034

It's not a bad solution (it's what I do), but it's not for everyone...

dkon
05-05-2004, 06:48 AM
I'm trying to get Pocket Contact Synchronizer 1.2 to solve all of my problems. It seems like it should but I can't get it to work. Ever seen this:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2D31C7F0-B871-49CE-9F96-712A1695E372&displaylang=en

Thanks,

David

remyc88
06-04-2004, 06:53 AM
hi!

can I aslo assume that you cannot sync subfolders for other items, such as Tasks?

(Do you know if Windows 2003 SE will fix that?)

Jason Dunn
06-04-2004, 07:02 AM
can I aslo assume that you cannot sync subfolders for other items, such as Tasks? (Do you know if Windows 2003 SE will fix that?)

You assume correctly - no sub-folders are supported other than for email. And, no, 2003 SE doesn't fix that...

remyc88
06-04-2004, 07:19 AM
thanks! :D

Sven Johannsen
06-04-2004, 02:52 PM
Quick explanation of what the contacts synchronizer does, so you don't waste much time with it if it doesn't meet your needs.

It takes all you Outlook contacts that are in folders and reproduces them into the root folder and applies the original folder name to the contact's category. When you sync, all the contacts in the root wind up on the PPC and are organized using categories. That seems a good solution except that every contact is now duplicated in outlook, once in the original folder, and once in the root (with a category). That's what it does.

remyc88
06-05-2004, 09:16 PM
another quick question if you don't mind.

is this more of an OS issue (i.e. there simply are no subfolders) or is it a sync issue (i.e. it might work if I use Intellisync)?

Janak Parekh
06-18-2004, 04:01 AM
is this more of an OS issue (i.e. there simply are no subfolders) or is it a sync issue (i.e. it might work if I use Intellisync)?
Probably a little of both -- Pocket PC doesn't support multiple contact folders per se. That said, if someone were to write a sync program that maps contact folders to categories (for example) it might function as a workaround. I have no idea what IntelliSync is capable of, or if it uses any such workaround.

--janak