View Full Version : What FAQs Do You Want To See?

Ed Hansberry
04-23-2004, 07:30 PM
Last month, we created a FAQ on hard resetting the various devices (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=25724). The beauty of this is, if a new device comes out tomorrow and you buy it, you just reply to that thread with the steps to hard reset it.

So, what other FAQs do you want to see? Just reply to this thread with some of the questions you want or have answers to, I'll post them to the front page and we'll continue building the FAQ Forum.

hoffm11
04-23-2004, 08:14 PM
Here is a couple that I thought of for a newbie or someone wanting to learn more about the features of the pocket pc.

- How to setup WiFi
- Create themes
- Setup Active Sync
- Backup a device

That is all I can think of right now..

OSUKid7
04-23-2004, 08:34 PM
Why I should buy/use a Pocket PC.
What software or hardware is included with each PDA.

DualShock
04-23-2004, 09:04 PM
a list of Pocket PC friendly links and/or a list of directory sites that link to Pocket PC friendly links

whydidnt
04-23-2004, 09:13 PM
I'd like to see a FAQ regarding Troubleshooting ActiveSync Problems.

There are various FAQ's around related to specific PPC's, but I've had a difficult time finding a good, all-encompassing one.

Mark Kenepp
04-23-2004, 09:19 PM
Settings for using your Mobile Phone as a modem in conjunction with your Pocket PC. Both GPRS and GSM settings for various providers and various mobile phones.

A lot of stuff like that existed for EPOC 32 devices and if it exists for the Pocket PC, I have not found it.

pacemkr
04-23-2004, 11:35 PM
Settings for using your Mobile Phone as a modem in conjunction with your Pocket PC. Both GPRS and GSM settings for various providers and various mobile phones.

A lot of stuff like that existed for EPOC 32 devices and if it exists for the Pocket PC, I have not found it.

You beat me to it.
Such FAQ would be VERY usefull. I have had a hard time setting up my phone as a modem.

Jon Westfall
04-24-2004, 12:27 AM
A purchasing FAQ (i.e. where do you get the best deals, etc..) that also includes information on what you get when you "buy" the $2.99 information on ebay about how to get electronics cheaply (i.e. pyramid schemes).

johncruise
04-24-2004, 12:30 AM
Ed might hate me for saying this but... :D

an FAQ to setup Bluetooth sync via network (I have BT access point and I can't seem to connect to ActiveSync using that)

Zack Mahdavi
04-24-2004, 09:15 AM
A purchasing FAQ (i.e. where do you get the best deals, etc..) that also includes information on what you get when you "buy" the $2.99 information on ebay about how to get electronics cheaply (i.e. pyramid schemes).

I actually fell for one of those once.. it was a few years back. The thing literally said to attend Microsoft conferences to "have a chance for free software." Biggest waste of $2.99 ever.

Regarding this topic, I'd like to see a FAQ like this: "I'm going to use my Pocket PC for ______. What software do you recommend?"

Kevin C. Tofel
04-24-2004, 05:44 PM
Don't know if it would be a FAQ or a seperate page by itself, but how about a list of the most popular PPC software we all use that show the current version numbers?

Some software shops keep the end users up to date with updated versions, but others do not. This would also help for folks who don't see all of the features in a current version but then see an upgrade and want to download a trial.

I know this would help me keep all of my versions straight and would be a nice "one stop" page for the information.

Thanks!
KCT

xboxlord
04-25-2004, 03:27 AM
Isn't a forum just a big FAQ in the first place?

OSUKid7
04-25-2004, 04:34 AM
No. :?

hulksmash
04-26-2004, 12:33 AM
The no-brainer because everyone wants to do this is: How to set up and synch your PocketPC with your PC via WiFi. I used to know how to do this under 2002 but 2003vers seems to make this counter-intuitive. A request on how to do this always pops up every third week at least or so. Thanks in advance.

hulksmash
04-26-2004, 12:36 AM
No. :?

Only if you enjoy scouring through 80 pages of forum every time you want to find out how to do something. Think about it, "F-A.Q" otherwise known as FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS, so, in other words, locating the most commonly asked questions FROM a forum to a centrally localized area so people know to check that area first, before scouring through subject headers and then through the forums themselves. Saves everyone time, and server space... :roll:

hulksmash
04-26-2004, 12:40 AM
Here is a couple that I thought of for a newbie or someone wanting to learn more about the features of the pocket pc.

- How to setup WiFi
- Create themes
- Setup Active Sync
- Backup a device

That is all I can think of right now..

EXACTLY! I like how you put up WIFI on the top of the list, although I would make it as my post indicates on "how to sync via wifi" Nice list!

Pony99CA
05-30-2004, 01:40 PM
I actually fell for one of those once.. it was a few years back. The thing literally said to attend Microsoft conferences to "have a chance for free software." Biggest waste of $2.99 ever.
Yes, it was a waste of money, but the advice wasn't necessarily bad.

I watched The Screen Savers on TechTV and they told about attending a Microsoft event to get a free copy of Office 2003 Professional. I registered for the event and found I got a voucher for my choice of Office 2003 Professional or Virtual PC (I chose Office). Not only that, I got a bag of goodies, too. :-) Oh yeah -- I learned something, too. :lol:

I had to register as some sort of Microsoft Tech Rep to get Office, but I did get it (in fact, I got two copies).

Steve

Pony99CA
05-30-2004, 01:42 PM
I suggest an FAQ for removing icons (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=28504). More generally, it should discuss setting up Program folders and the Start Menu.

Steve

nosmohtac
06-04-2004, 12:17 AM
I like all of the suggestions here. I would like to add one.
Move the Q&A or FAQ section to the top of the list in the forums.

Pony99CA
06-04-2004, 01:48 AM
That's a great idea. It would make it the first thing people see, and they'd hopefully check it first, before asking a question for the 308th time. :-)

Steve

Kati Compton
06-04-2004, 03:32 AM
That's a great idea. It would make it the first thing people see, and they'd hopefully check it first, before asking a question for the 308th time. :-)

Once the "sticky" feature is repaired, I'm sure it would be used for FAQs if we have some.

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Right, but without stickies, you can still reorder the listing of the forums, put FAQs at the top and then put some FAQ topics in the FAQ forum :) FAQ, FAQ, FAQ

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 05:46 AM
I was just in the Q&A forum and this post is sticky and at the top of the Q&A forum, are stikies fixed? or were site-wide stickies the problem? would an admin sitwide announce fix things?, I'll try this on my testing forums and give someone my results (tell me who)
Edit: here are the options my site gives
Normal Sticky Announcement Global Announcement

normal is a regular post
Sticky appears at the top of the forum its in
Announcement also appears at the top of the forum its in
Global announcement appears at the top of every forum

edit 2:
It seems the default is for only admin to, be able to make global announcements

nosmohtac
06-04-2004, 05:57 AM

Once the "sticky" feature is repaired, I'm sure it would be used for FAQs if we have some.
Oh, I was thinking that FAQ would be it's own section like "just chattin" or "off topic". I was just thinking that if that's the case, It should be moved to the top of the list of forums, above "Just Chattin'".

Is the way I just described, the way it will be, or would you have an "FAQ" sticky at the beginning of each of the other forums.

Kacey Green
06-04-2004, 07:39 AM
In theory it could be both, but thats up to the TM team (PPCT team more than likely)

Eowyn
08-13-2004, 06:12 AM
How about an FAQ about how file locations and directories work. I've spent a week with a new ipaq, and think I now have a grip on how sub-directories (don't ) work.

OSUKid7
08-13-2004, 10:05 PM
How about an FAQ about how file locations and directories work. I've spent a week with a new ipaq, and think I now have a grip on how sub-directories (don't ) work.What exactly do you mean? I've used Pocket PCs since 2000 and don't really understand what you mean by sub-directories not working.

Kati Compton
08-14-2004, 12:12 AM
How about an FAQ about how file locations and directories work. I've spent a week with a new ipaq, and think I now have a grip on how sub-directories (don't ) work.What exactly do you mean? I've used Pocket PCs since 2000 and don't really understand what you mean by sub-directories not working.
Some programs/functions (like choosing a Today theme in the default OS settings window) requires that the themes be in My Documents, not a subdirectory thereof. A lot of programs dump their data directly into My Documents, which I find really annoying.

Pony99CA
08-14-2004, 03:12 AM
Some programs/functions (like choosing a Today theme in the default OS settings window) requires that the themes be in My Documents, not a subdirectory thereof. A lot of programs dump their data directly into My Documents, which I find really annoying.
That's probably what he meant, and it certainly is annoying. However, the question made it sound like a general confusion about the file system itself, not just the My Documents folder.

For example, the way storage cards are handled if they don't have a My Documents folder can also cause confusion, as can where software gets installed using the various options.

I'd suggest the Eowyn clarify what confused him. Or maybe he wants everything about the file system covered. :-D

Steve

tourdewolf
08-14-2004, 03:30 AM
A couple of ideas I think would really help the newbies (myself included) would be FAQs on converting from another os. Say palm or blackberry (or mac - just kidding :devilboy: )

Eowyn
08-14-2004, 09:19 AM
What I meant by sub-directories not working, was that, from within an application (eg word or excel), I can't seem to get a file that is in a sub-directory. The only way to get the file is from file manager.

That to me is not standard practice, and I would think it would come up more often as a question, and therefore be an appropriate topic for a FAQ.

If you can get to sub-directories from an application, I would appreciate knowing how!

Pony99CA
08-14-2004, 10:28 AM
What I meant by sub-directories not working, was that, from within an application (eg word or excel), I can't seem to get a file that is in a sub-directory. The only way to get the file is from file manager.

That to me is not standard practice, and I would think it would come up more often as a question, and therefore be an appropriate topic for a FAQ.

If you can get to sub-directories from an application, I would appreciate knowing how!
As Kati said, applications using the standard file dialogs can only access files in the My Documents folder or an immediate sub-folder of My Documents.

For example, Excel will show spreadsheets in \My Documents and \My Documents\Spreadsheets, but not \My Documents\Spreadsheets\Business.

If you put a storage card without a My Documents folder in a Pocket PC, it will create a hidden file (ignore_my_docs) which allows applications to find files in the root of the storage card or an immediate sub-folder of the root.

For example, Excel will show spreadsheets in \SD Card and \SD Card\Spreadsheets, but not \SD Card\Spreadsheets\Business. Even if you create a My Documents folder, it won't matter unless you delete the hidden file.

For more about ignore_my_docs, see the "Ignore_my_docs - very frustrating" thread (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2863).

Not all applications use the standard file open dialogs, and those will work more like what you're used to on Windows.

Is that what you wanted to know?

Steve

Eowyn
08-14-2004, 11:47 AM
As Kati said, applications using the standard file dialogs can only access files in the My Documents folder or an immediate sub-folder of My Documents.
I'm not getting the immedicate sub-folder of My Documents from excel or word. Is this an ignore-my-docs problem, or something else?

Pony99CA
08-14-2004, 12:20 PM
I'm not getting the immedicate sub-folder of My Documents from excel or word. Is this an ignore-my-docs problem, or something else?
Are your files on a storage card? If they're in main memory, it's probably not an ignore_my_docs issue.

Steve

lois
09-15-2005, 07:38 PM
I truly love to see a Q&A(technical or not) on issues not found elsewhere e.g. Windows Mobile Device Driver Development. Searched more than a dozen of sites and forums, found nothing but a bunch of letdown people not receiving any response to their questions asked pertaining this area. Since I am working on a school project, this topic is very critical for me..

lois :lol: