trptscott
04-23-2004, 06:46 PM
I have a Dell Axim X3 with ActiveSync 3.7.1

Home PC
WinXP Pro w/ Office2003

Work PC
WinXP Pro w/ Office2003
Outlook connects to our Exchange Server

I want to synchronize my information between two computers, one at work and one at home. I have created the standard partnership on each machine.

I have noticed that the PPC and Outlook seem to discriminate between information created on each machine and synch'd with the Axim. For instance, if I create a task on my work machine, it is synch'd to the Axim without a problem and then it appears to by synch'd to the home pc when I connect the Axim. However, if I mark the task complete on the home pc, the new status is not synch'd with the Axim and the work PC; I have to change the status to complete on the work machine.

Thoughts?

Jason Dunn
04-23-2004, 09:03 PM
The unfortunate truth is that while ActiveSync gives the appearance of being able to work in this manner, the cold reality is that Microsoft never tested nor meant for Pocket PCs to be used in this way. So some things will work well enough, but others (as you've discovered) just don't work well at all. :(

Janak Parekh
04-24-2004, 09:07 PM
Whoa, Jason, wait a minute -- his question might be simpler than you think.

trptscott - as long as you're not using Exchange as your information store at home, the problem is that ActiveSync doesn't sync completed tasks by default. This is easy to fix. Go into ActiveSync on the desktop, Tools => Options => Sync Options, choose Tasks, hit Settings, and make sure all Tasks are synchronized. That took me forever to figure out the first time. :)

--janak

trptscott
04-26-2004, 04:01 PM
Thanks for the tip. I'll test it this week and see what happens.

trptscott

gohtor
04-28-2004, 05:28 AM
Whoa, Jason, wait a minute -- his question might be simpler than you think.

trptscott - as long as you're not using Exchange as your information store at home, the problem is that ActiveSync doesn't sync completed tasks by default. This is easy to fix. Go into ActiveSync on the desktop, Tools => Options => Sync Options, choose Tasks, hit Settings, and make sure all Tasks are synchronized. That took me forever to figure out the first time. :)

--janak

Lol I can see why that's a problem. first computer that syncs the completed task removes that task. so when you move your ppc to your 2nd computer it is missing that completed task to sync with.