View Full Version : SD card erased some programs!!!

jook00
04-23-2004, 02:15 AM
I was using my IPaq 4155 when after a soft reset, some of my icons went blank under games and apps. I went into my storage card and found out that the programs and games wern't there anymore. Some were left though. I checked how much memory I have left on my storage card and it said 2MB. So stuff is still in there... I just can't see it nor access it.

Jeff Rutledge
04-23-2004, 02:36 AM
OK, that's very strange.

After reading about the spontaneous hard reset, a few minutes ago I decided to do a backup as I haven't in a couple of days. I'm now seeing the same thing. My SD card is not accessible. The program icons are blank and I can't launch any of them. But I can browse the card with WIMR.

How's that for (un)luck?

jook00
04-23-2004, 05:34 AM
i installed pocket mechanic and did a storage card error fix scanner thingy. It started scanning but just froze so I soft reset it. THen the programs on my SD stopped working.

jook00
04-23-2004, 05:46 AM
Oh no! :( im just gonna format my SD card. how do I do that?

Jason Dunn
04-23-2004, 06:58 AM
i installed pocket mechanic and did a storage card error fix scanner thingy. It started scanning but just froze so I soft reset it. THen the programs on my SD stopped working.

Sounds like you corrupted the SD card - time to reformat it. :-( It's best to do it from a Windows computer with a memory card reader - just right click on it and select FORMAT.

wocket
04-23-2004, 09:14 AM
If you have a 2200 series ipaq you really need the update for the SDIO cures a few problems with SD cards.SDIO Update (http://h18007.www1.hp.com/support/files/HandheldiPAQ/us/download/20674.html)

To format an SD card get your hands on Flash Format (http://www.cnetx.com/format/download.asp)

tanalasta
04-23-2004, 03:44 PM
Yep - missing files are one of the first signs your SD card's been corrupted? Not using another sandisk are you? Sounds like you defn need to reformat and reinstall... sorry! Hope you have a recent backup.

To reformat you can:
1. Use a card-reader and reformat using your desktop
2. Use one of the third-party apps like resco file explorer, pocket-mechanic. I use cnetx's flashformat.

Btw - who's the gal in the nice picture on your avatar? :P

Ripper014
04-23-2004, 04:11 PM
Nope the issue is with Pocket Mechanic... and I have mentioned this on other boards... She was probably using the scandisk option in Pocket Mechanic and it can make your PocketPC seem inactive... I believe even the wait indicator stops moving, but the program is indeed continuing to scan. I don't use this feature since it take to long and is difficult to see if indeed your PocketPC is scanning or just stuck.

I recommended that he remove this function from the program just for the potential issues it can cause (by the user). Also note that disrupting the process could render your card useless...

tanalasta
04-24-2004, 05:17 AM
Ahhh... I see. The problems with the SD card occurred only after using pocket-mechanic and soft-reseting the device.

In that case, Ripper is correct. You probably corrupted your SD-card by soft-reseting the device whilst the card was still in use. Once it's corrupted, and you don't want to run scandisk again - a reformat should get it working again. You'll lose all your data though.

Jeff Rutledge
04-26-2004, 04:29 AM

Sounds like you corrupted the SD card - time to reformat it. :-( It's best to do it from a Windows computer with a memory card reader - just right click on it and select FORMAT.

That's exactly what I had to do. Very strange. I haven't had that happen before. I haven't been backing up my SD card, but I guess I'll have to start. Especially considering that's where I keep my Sprite Backup file.

Pat Logsdon
04-26-2004, 04:51 AM
Another little tip - when you're using most of the Pocket Mechanic apps, it's best to be on A/C power.

makiyama
05-05-2004, 05:45 PM
Had the same issue with a 512MB Lexar SD card. All programs were "erased" but the memory allocation indicated they were still there. Used Flash Format and now I will monitor the behavior.

A question to the forum is: Does it make a difference on speed and/or data reliability to format the card with FAT32 or FAT16? :?: