View Full Version : A Sad PocketPC Story, and Poll!

jake080
04-22-2004, 02:59 PM
I have a sad, sad poll to make....
as well as a confession....
*sigh*
Jake has not yet owned(in the sense of holding it and having it paid for) a PocketPC, he has bought 2, a Dell Axim x5 (when it was still in its peak), as well as a Toshiba e805. The Axim arrived after sickening service, and attempted cancellation, ended up costing dell like 30 bucks to ship to me and back. Was never even notified when it shipped like they said i would be. Then the Tosh... well I preordered it, then realized it really wasnt the absolute PPC for me, and cancelled, and built a speed-demon PC!
Hopefully ill get beyone ordering and shipping with say, the Asus MyPal A730!!!
yeah, so the poll... yes, we are all in a PPC community, but do we all really have PPCs?!?

~Jake

jake080
04-22-2004, 03:37 PM
sniff sinff
im losing...
:oops:

come on Dont be shy if youre like me!!!
hehehe right, im probably the only one :|

8O I guess im not surprised or anything...

my soliloquy:
o asus, release thee new pocket pc
I pray ye end my saddness
I am so lonely, and ...alone
with no pocket pc
my life, it seems so empty and pointless
without you

O sexy ppcs come to me, I love thee, o so lustfully...

cough cough, right soo anyway...

~Jake

Don't Panic!
04-22-2004, 03:58 PM
This might cheer you up!

ASUS 730 by Don't Panic!

I want a ASUS 730, ASUS 730 here I come
It's got a crazy little processor and I'm gonna get me one

Wi-Fi and Bluetooth,
128 meg RAM
VGA Screen and Landscape
It's gonna be here in my hand

It's got a crazy little processor and I'm gonna get me one

Sung to the tune of Kansas City

Don't Panic!
Bobby

jake080
04-22-2004, 04:01 PM
wow thanks!
that was good btw ;)

iant54
04-22-2004, 04:54 PM
I have two Pocket PC's! The main one is an iPAQ 5550, while the back-up is an iPAQ3970.

SHC
04-22-2004, 05:44 PM
I've got a Jornada 548, an iPAQ 3870, an iPaq 3970, I currently use an iPAQ 2210 and my son has my "old" iPAQ 1940!
My wife thinks I'm nuts, she may be right.

pr0vider
04-22-2004, 06:28 PM
I've got an Ipaq 2210 and a Toshiba e755. I've also got six different cases between them and switch on a whim...

I KNOW I'm nuts and I THINK I'm right!!

:wink:

Mobile_Bear
04-22-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi there, I am new to PPCs... Hi everyone!
Just got my Ipaq 2215 last night and just register at PPC Thoughts (I made an informed puchase through the information here). :mrgreen:

If you just made the poll yesterday, I should've voted PCless...

Jeff Rutledge
04-22-2004, 06:51 PM
Are you currently PocketPCless?

Are you kidding?!?!? Perish the thought. 8O

:mrgreen:

jake080
04-22-2004, 08:09 PM
bleh, JR, youre making me cry ;)

Jeff Rutledge
04-22-2004, 08:32 PM
Sorry Jake. Didn't mean to rub salt in the wound as it were. It's just such a scary thought isn't it? My iPAQ 3870 started to show signs of death and I proceeded immediately to the local electronics store and picked up my 2215. So frightening was the prospect of being without a PPC. :mrgreen:

yvilla
04-22-2004, 10:06 PM
How about four? :wink:

Jon Westfall
04-23-2004, 12:28 AM

Are you kidding?!?!? Perish the thought. 8O

:mrgreen:

Never.. Give me pocket pc or give me death by palm. How do you stand your existence Jake?

JustinGTP
04-23-2004, 12:35 AM
I've got an Ipaq 2210 and a Toshiba e755. I've also got six different cases between them and switch on a whim...

I KNOW I'm nuts and I THINK I'm right!!

:wink:

Heh, I have an iPaq 2215 and have eight cases for it alone!

Steven Cedrone
04-23-2004, 12:52 AM
Heh, I have an iPaq 2215 and have eight cases for it alone!

Yes, but that's not fair! You work for a distributor! :wink: BTW, what happened to Ipaqcases.com?

Steve

JustinGTP
04-23-2004, 02:01 AM
BTW, what happened to Ipaqcases.com?

Steve

Nothing, actually. What did you mean? It's still chugging along with great sales, the forum is a bit down, people usually don't want to talk about cases that much :D

Oh, and we just launched http://www.cases.com which sells Toshiba cases, and yes, also Tungsten cases 8)

Steven Cedrone
04-23-2004, 02:20 AM
Nothing, actually. What did you mean? It's still chugging along with great sales, the forum is a bit down, people usually don't want to talk about cases that much :D

Oh, and we just launched http://www.cases.com which sells Toshiba cases, and yes, also Tungsten cases 8)

When I posted, I couldn't get to the site. Seems to be O.K. now though...

Steve

jake080
04-23-2004, 03:41 AM
truthfully, it is difficult living with myself...
er, well ive become more and more patient, and am willing to accept my 3 PCs, with overbearing power and lots of hd space, aka. 730GB over 6 drives (as of this summer)

so in addition i hope to add a more extreme PPC this summer as well!

i shall live on and push through the pain ill i own one !!!!
BWAHAHAHAHA ... [have i gone mad? YeS!!! must have... PC IN POCKET!!! :twisted: ]

~Jake

JustinGTP
04-23-2004, 03:47 AM
I'm sure I can find some counseling for you somewhere, here, let me get my phone book....

jake080
04-23-2004, 02:22 PM
haha!
thanks for your sympathy

[edited] HEY! I HAVE TWO OTHERS VOTING FOR ME! ..er uh rather supposedly 'PPCless' like me :P [end]

Paula
04-23-2004, 05:29 PM
Jake,
I was PPCless up until the end of December 2003. I waited 2 years for the perfect PPC for me, which happens to be the 2215. Then after the 2215 came out, I waited a few months more before I actually ordered one, just to make sure it wasn't a dud. I love my little 2215. :D

Paula

Kowalski
04-23-2004, 07:54 PM
its too bad to discuss about a pocket pc and not to have one to try something out!
i cant live withouth my 2215!!!

jake080
04-24-2004, 04:07 AM
:)
thanks for helping me remain sane!
yeah, it is odd posting, and answering questions and not having a ppc!
but with all this knowledge, i expect that when i DO get one, it will be like comeplete paradise, without all the wacky hype and not knowing what to do with it ;)

~Jake

JustinGTP
04-24-2004, 06:40 AM
Are funds low? Or can you just not find that "perfect" Pocket PC, albeit if it even does exist?

socrates63
04-24-2004, 07:44 AM
...then realized it really wasnt the absolute PPC for me, and cancelled, and built a speed-demon PC!
Hopefully ill get beyone ordering and shipping with say, the Asus MyPal
I kinda know where you're coming from. It's pretty difficult to justify spending $400 or more on a PPC considering the fact that a highend PPC costs about the same the same as a lowend notebook, and you could build a nice desktop for the money as you've already done.

That's why I've always stuck to the low end PPCs or bought used ones in the past until I got my current PDA, the iPaq 2215 ($357 at newegg in Jan 04). I went without a PPC for a few months last year, and the withdrawal helped me to realize that I've come to depend a great deal on the convenience (syncing Outlook's calendar and contacts, taking notes) and entertainment that a PPC provides. With two little kids (3 year-old, and 4 month-old), I get my computing time in little spurts whenever I can, and my PPC helps me get my high-tech fix whenever time presents itself. So my withdrawal period helped me realize that the money was worth it.

jake080
04-24-2004, 02:29 PM
well, truthfully, i want the maximun :P im willing to spend 5-600, aka, nothing with gprs/gsm or gps, but dual wireless, dual slots, i like the processor in the a730, and yeah, thats my thing. Paying for it is an issue, in like 16, and been working multiple good paying lawn jobs for YEARS! And now as being 16 and possibly just doing college night classes for the remainder of my HS year(s) i can work a full time job easily... now if only i could get one, or find a place hiring rather, and not just 18+ yrs. stuff :P it sucks, yeah, ive got the money to buy a PPC, but am not willing to use it, and ive got a crapload of college costs in the near future, and hope to buy an srt4 whilst im in college ;) sorta crazy...
~Jake

ps. it has taken a good bit og time to find that 'perfect ppc' :-\ i sure think the a730 will be it though :D

JustinGTP
04-24-2004, 07:13 PM
Jake,

It seems as though your priorities are sort of in order, but buying a car whilst you are in college will absolutely take all of your money - a newer car, like the Dodge SRT-4, will have less costs in maintenance, but insurance at your age and gas costs will suck up all of your resources.

I too am 17, and right now I am a part-time Supervisor at DQ and finishing Grade 11. I do drive, but if I wanted my own car and insurance, I would have absolutely no money left to save for college or technology! So right now I am driving my parent's vehicles, they pay for the insurance and maintenance, all I do is pay for the gas I use.

Well - good luck in whatever you will be doing, I am looking at entering Industrial Design in the automotive field after HS.

-Justin :D

jake080
04-25-2004, 10:42 PM
Thanks for the pointers Justin!
I had already expected the SRT-4 would have to wait till after college, but yeah ;)

Thanks again,
Jake

Mark Johnson
04-26-2004, 05:01 AM

I'd be SO lost... I must pull mine out 50 times a day for something. This is an interesting thread. I've gotten so used to having it that it really unnerved me to think of being PPCless. If mine died today I'd probably buy a replacement as soon as my local Circuit City opened tomorrow morning.

Mark Johnson
04-26-2004, 05:12 AM
It's pretty difficult to justify spending $400 or more on a PPC considering the fact that a highend PPC costs about the same the same as a lowend notebook...

That's why I've always stuck to the low end PPCs...

Same here. Not only the money issue, but if I buy a $400 iPaq 5000-series or $600 Toshiba e800, the thing is so big it's not really a "Pocket" PC anymore. Sure it's not as big as my Thinkpad x20, but it's big enough that I'll need a backpack or briefcase to haul it around in, so I might as well take my x20 and run my full Windows XP apps anyway.

I bought my x20 on eBay for $400 so I just don't understand the market for the "high-end" PPC's.

My iPaq 1910, on the other hand, fits in my jeans pocket and is ALWAYS on me. I find the 1910 just indispensable.

Aerestis
04-26-2004, 07:53 AM
I just turned 18 a few weeks ago. I got my device from my freelance work, which is web, graphic, and sound design for local as well as international clients. I don't know how I managed to be succesful, but I am doing ok I guess. I make enough to survive anyhow :)

If you need to, you could probably do the same. Someone always needs something, and sometimes some of those someones have a few dollars that they are willing to spend on something. heh

Web design is nice because you find the occasional client like I recently found who keeps coming back and seems to be willing to spend a lot of money. Just make sure you don't say baseball is boring, haha. ok

Kacey Green
05-05-2004, 10:56 AM
I started here without a PPC, I had an old Phillips nino 320s, which was ok because WIN CE is the predacessor of PPC, but then it caught fire in the cradle :oops: so I was PDA-less for nearly a year (I hated it)