View Full Version : Data transmission over FM?

Ryan Joseph
04-21-2004, 07:14 PM
Okay, I had an idea the other day. We all want some type of wireless data access, be it Bluetooth, WiFi or GPRS, the world is better with wireless. :wink:

Now I know it could be only one way, but would it be possible to transmit data over FM radio frequencies? Talk about long distance. I live near Philadelphia, PA and recently traveled to Harrisburg. I could still pick up Philly FM radio stations in my car even though Harrisburg is about 100 miles away. 8O

If some type of data (say weather, stocks, news, etc.) could be transmitted over FM and picked up with a PPC, we could have this information available in a huge area. And it'd be free, too. :D

Does anyone know if this is even remotely possible, or am I dreaming here?

Jason Dunn
04-21-2004, 07:16 PM
That's exactly what the SPOT technology from Microsoft is based on. I think you need to read this review:

http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/articles.php?action=expand,24932

;-)

Ryan Joseph
04-21-2004, 07:23 PM
I've read that review and it sounds cool. But can it be incorporated into a PPC? That watch looks huge. Could this technology be added internally to a new device without adding bulk? Or could it be in a CF card?

Do you know if Microsoft has any plans to make this available for PPCs?

Jason Dunn
04-21-2004, 07:36 PM
The SPOT technology is just a chip from what I understand, so yes, it could be added into a Pocket PC as I said in my article. But no one has announced anything yet, so your questions have no answers.

lonesniper
04-21-2004, 08:18 PM
Or could it be in a CF card?

That is a great idea! A SPOT chip in a CF or even a SD card. It would be the best way to upgrade all the current PDA's out there relatively cheaply and expand the subscription base for MSN-Direct. MS needs to expand the paying subscriber numbers for SPOT to succeed.

Do the PPCT MVP's agree this is good idea?? Can you suggest it to MS as they seem to listen to you lot?

Colin

freitasm
04-21-2004, 09:12 PM
If some type of data (say weather, stocks, news, etc.) could be transmitted over FM and picked up with a PPC, we could have this information available in a huge area. And it'd be free, too. :D

As Jason put, SPOT (Smart Personal Objects Technology) is based on FM. And is the Orb. But the information is not free. MSN will charge you a monthly or annual fee to use the service.

Ryan Joseph
04-22-2004, 02:36 PM
Okay, I understand all this. I guess SPOT would be what I'm talking about. But I still don't understand how MSN can charge for the service. Isn't FM publicly broadcast? Like broadcast TV? Both FM radio and TV are freely available as long as you have a receiver. So how can this be a paid for service? How do they know you're accessing it so they can bill you?

freitasm
04-22-2004, 08:29 PM
Oh, but they don't charge for transmission. They charge for the service itself: collecting the information you want, aggregating everything, making the servers available, maintaining the subscriptions, all the things behind the scenes.

Jeff Rutledge
04-22-2004, 08:33 PM
That is a great idea! A SPOT chip in a CF or even a SD card.

That is a great idea. I'm surprised no one has done it yet. I think Microsoft could tap a potentially great niche if they did that. They could even make it available to Palm devices.

freitasm
04-22-2004, 11:34 PM
The whole thing on SPOT is beyond watches. The name says it all: Smart Personal OBJECTS technology. That's it: a concept waiting for a series of product.

lonesniper
04-22-2004, 11:47 PM
That is a great idea! A SPOT chip in a CF or even a SD card.

That is a great idea. I'm surprised no one has done it yet. I think Microsoft could tap a potentially great niche if they did that. They could even make it available to Palm devices.

So how do we make our voices heard in Redmond? And also the SD and CF manufacturers town's?

Can we have a Poll created?? Maybe even posted on the front page?? I would happily spend $99 on a SPOT SD card and $9.99 a month for MS Direct access. Just as long as PPCT was a channel though :D

Palm device access is also a geat idea.

Colin