View Full Version : Mobile computing in "secure environments"

Xanadu
04-20-2004, 08:27 PM
Hi all,

I'll be starting a new job next week at a large defense contractor. The main challenge for me is the restriction on personal electronics that could compromise the high security environment. I'll be fully briefed on this at my orientation, but I've been informed that "recording devices" (i.e. cameras, camera phones, tape recorders, etc.) are expressly forbidden. PocketPCs/Palms are allowed, though.

I've been thinking of getting a SonyEricsson z600, but like most high-end phones, it comes with a camera. Unfortunately, I just might have to leave it in the car when arriving at work. :( If only cellphone manufacturers would allow the user to easily pop-out the lens without having to tear the phone apart! :roll:

Can anyone here comment on their experiences with mobile computing in "secure environments" like this?

-Xan

DeepThoughtPockets
04-21-2004, 04:03 AM
I think this is a problem that increasingly affects us all, as more and more camera phones get into the market. Personally, I've never seen the use of a camera on a cell phone for 99% of us who are over 15, but to each their own.

However, thanks to those geniuses who have taken pictures of people in compromising (compromised?) positions in locker rooms and the like, and the technologically ignorant people who are trying to prevent it from happening again, I am now supposed to turn off my cell phone whenever I enter the locker room where I work out (a YMCA).

My phone is not equipped with a camera, but this is beside the point. Some pointy-haired doofus read a magazine article, and since no one at the club could tell the latest camera phone from a 1994 Motorola StarTac if their life depended on it, they made a rule that affects everyone.

Fortunately, no one enforces the rule, as I'm on call and at certain times, if I can't take my cell phone someplace, I can't go. I'm considerate about turning the ringer off, and if the time isn't right, I can let a call go to voicemail and return it in a few minutes when I can talk. But going 30-45 minutes at a stretch where I don't even know if it rang is not an option.

Where was I? I wouldn't push the issue day one, but over time you might find out how much the rule is being enforced. Hate to say it, but if they allow Pocket PCs at all it shows they don't know or aren't worried about some of their capabilities. Pocket PCs pretty much all come with voice recording capabilities, for example. If you could manage to ActiveSync with a work computer, you could also download a lot of files to one...

There's a growing philosophy of "security by forbidding everything" that I'm growing a little concerned about. Not letting people carry guns onto airplanes seems sensible, but now we're banning cell phones from locker rooms. Next, I suppose we could ban radio receivers - wait - it's already been done - certain parts of Europe in the '30s and '40s...

Hi all,

I'll be starting a new job next week at a large defense contractor. The main challenge for me is the restriction on personal electronics that could compromise the high security environment. I'll be fully briefed on this at my orientation, but I've been informed that "recording devices" (i.e. cameras, camera phones, tape recorders, etc.) are expressly forbidden. PocketPCs/Palms are allowed, though.

I've been thinking of getting a SonyEricsson z600, but like most high-end phones, it comes with a camera. Unfortunately, I just might have to leave it in the car when arriving at work. :( If only cellphone manufacturers would allow the user to easily pop-out the lens without having to tear the phone apart! :roll:

Can anyone here comment on their experiences with mobile computing in "secure environments" like this?

-Xan

Xanadu
04-22-2004, 09:15 PM
I think this is a problem that increasingly affects us all, as more and more camera phones get into the market. Personally, I've never seen the use of a camera on a cell phone for 99% of us who are over 15, but to each their own.

Agreed. I'd much prefer to take pictures with a bluetooth-enabled digital camera (do any exist?) that could then forward the image data to a BT-enabled cell phone for distribution to friends/websites/etc.

Where was I? I wouldn't push the issue day one, but over time you might find out how much the rule is being enforced. Hate to say it, but if they allow Pocket PCs at all it shows they don't know or aren't worried about some of their capabilities. Pocket PCs pretty much all come with voice recording capabilities, for example. If you could manage to ActiveSync with a work computer, you could also download a lot of files to one...

I'd be more willing to test the limits if the spectre of "compromising military secrets" weren't looming over my head. But you're right on suggesting that I don't rock the boat as I come in the door. :)

I'll probably still pick up the Sony Ericsson z600, but I'll most likely remove the camera to be on the safe side. Heck, the camera's quality seems to be regularly listed in the "Con" column in most reviews anyway. ;)

-Xan

disconnected
04-23-2004, 12:38 AM
I'm starting to worry about this kind of thing too. On the last few flights I've taken, when they made the announcement to turn off electronics during takeoff and landing, they also said that NO electronic device that had phone capabilities could be used at any time during the flight, even if the phone part was switched off. On one flight an attendant asked me if my iPAQ had a phone in it, and said that if it did, I wouldn't be able to use the iPAQ at all. As more PDAs get more stuff built in (phones, cameras, GPS, etc), I'm afraid all the airlines will just forbid them all because there's no way for them to really check the capability of each device.

Xanadu
04-23-2004, 02:58 AM
Wow. Yet another validation of my decision to go dual-device (separate ipaq and cellphone).

-Xan

Janak Parekh
04-24-2004, 08:23 PM
I'm starting to worry about this kind of thing too. On the last few flights I've taken, when they made the announcement to turn off electronics during takeoff and landing, they also said that NO electronic device that had phone capabilities could be used at any time during the flight, even if the phone part was switched off.
I'm sure it'll eventually evolve as convergence increases. On my recent AA flight, they finally evolved cell phone policy so that you can use cell phones immediately after landing, instead of waiting for the airplane to finish taxiing. I'd assume as more "smartphones" come out they'll have to deal with that.

Besides, what I want to know is how many people actually remember to turn off the cell phones in their bags...

--janak