View Full Version : bityard Reviews 1Pass from OmegaOne

Jason Dunn
04-20-2004, 07:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.bityard.com/article.php?sid=637' target='_blank'>http://www.bityard.com/article.php?sid=637</a><br /><br /></div>"Available for PocketPC 2000 and above operating system version, 1-Pass differentiates itself by making available two different ways to enter your password. These include the ability to enter password via the software or hardware. By applying different combinations of keys, you can create a number of different password sequences. The only disadvantage is that it’s easier to forget the key combination because you may not be attuned to remembering hard keys other than numeric key sequences. If you’re used to key sequences, 1-Pass has a built-in on-screen numeric keyboard which solves the problem mentioned previously. Unlike other competing software, we found it easier to enter your password because the numeric keyboard is large enough that you can use your fingers. Similarly, the hard keys are also easier. In our tests, it took a mere 2 seconds to enter our password."

tccox
04-20-2004, 07:33 PM
Perhaps anyone interested in buying from Omega One should note that Battery Pack was sold to users with the promise of free lifetime upgrades. They've now backed out of their promise and are charging $5 for users to upgrade. Something to consider........

Zack Mahdavi
04-20-2004, 09:08 PM
Perhaps anyone interested in buying from Omega One should note that Battery Pack was sold to users with the promise of free lifetime upgrades. They've now backed out of their promise and are charging $5 for users to upgrade. Something to consider........

I am not trying to back them up or anything, but here's something to consider. They have not backed out of that promise as they promise to continue developing batterypack. Battery pack is still being sold on Handango as well.

What they are doing now is they are offering Battery Pack Pro which is supposed to have more features compared to Battery Pack. This is supposed to be developed in addition to Battery Pack.

Let's not get hostile with Omega One until we have proof that they've stopped developing Battery Pack.

alexm
04-20-2004, 09:16 PM
"Available for PocketPC 2000 and above operating system version, 1-Pass differentiates itself by making available two different ways to enter your password..."

Did anybody who try/buy this software can comment on it?

SHC
04-20-2004, 09:30 PM
yes, I tried the trial which was ok, the full paid for version isnt! I guess the trial was a beta or something. I have had to uninstall it. Too many soft resets, too many white screens, causes slight but anoying delay when you power the device on (even when password not active) Worst $9.95 I ever spent.

waanz
04-20-2004, 10:57 PM
I have the same issues and will be uninstalling it tonight. The software looks great and the concept is excellent.

But I have a white screen almost 7 out of 10 times when turning on the device. You lose lots of time....

Up to now, I have tried UTimaco safeguard; nicestart, and 1-pass, all products are good but all of them somehow lead to too many soft resets...

griph
04-20-2004, 11:18 PM
yes, I tried the trial which was ok, the full paid for version isnt! I guess the trial was a beta or something. I have had to uninstall it. Too many soft resets, too many white screens, causes slight but anoying delay when you power the device on (even when password not active) Worst $9.95 I ever spent.

And it is easy to completely circumvent the Password - it isn't secure. The review was absolute c**p! He obviously hadn't tried it out much - it took me a couple of hair raising hours to find umpteen basic issues - how did he mark this 5 stars!

griph
04-20-2004, 11:35 PM
"Available for PocketPC 2000 and above operating system version, 1-Pass differentiates itself by making available two different ways to enter your password. These include the ability to enter password via the software or hardware. By applying different combinations of keys, you can create a number of different password sequences. The only disadvantage is that it’s easier to forget the key combination because you may not be attuned to remembering hard keys other than numeric key sequences. If you’re used to key sequences, 1-Pass has a built-in on-screen numeric keyboard which solves the problem mentioned previously. Unlike other competing software, we found it easier to enter your password because the numeric keyboard is large enough that you can use your fingers. Similarly, the hard keys are also easier. In our tests, it took a mere 2 seconds to enter our password."

Jason - I have emailed Bityard with the following comments on their review:

"Just a quick note - I have just read the Bityard review of OmegaOne's 1-Pass (http://www.bityard.com/article.php?sid=637).
I wondered how much of a trial you attempted before offering this 5 stars.
Many users (including me) are reporting problems with installs, soft resets, white (blank) screens, and an insecure Password protection
programme. If you have ptravelalarm.exe for instance the alarm will break through the ACTIVE 1-Pass application allowing direct access to the Start Menu and
thereby everything else. OmegaOne are aware of the issues (see Tekguru Link http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2531
OmegaOne Quote: "The password bypassing issue is a problem we are actively looking to fix at the moment"!
These issues I found within 10 minutes of installing the software! From my point of view, if you are going to give someone top marks, then it is essential that
it has been well tried - otherwise future reviews will be devalued.
"

gonzo
04-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Must agree with the opinions on this board....I had multiple issues with this app.

I think you'll find the review I did for tekguru.co.uk a bit closer to the truth........

http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2531

gonzo
04-20-2004, 11:46 PM
OmegaOne are aware of the issues (see Tekguru Link http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2531
OmegaOne Quote: "The password bypassing issue is a problem we are actively looking to fix at the moment"!"

*sigh*.......learn to read the post above Dave...... :roll:
Sorry 'bout that people......
Didn't realise I'd already been linked to..... :oops:

griph
04-21-2004, 12:27 AM
OmegaOne are aware of the issues (see Tekguru Link http://www.tekguru.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2531
OmegaOne Quote: "The password bypassing issue is a problem we are actively looking to fix at the moment"!"

*sigh*.......learn to read the post above Dave...... :roll:
Sorry 'bout that people......
Didn't realise I'd already been linked to..... :oops:

:) Easily Done! Oh - and you spooked me for a moment as my first name is Dave too! ;-)

gonzo
04-21-2004, 12:36 AM
:) Easily Done! Oh - and you spooked me for a moment as my first name is Dave too! ;-)
v&lt;cue twilight zone music> Dodododo dodododo :eek:

I am amazed that this app got a 5/5 review anywhere! I personally don't score my reviews, but if I did.....surely it wouldn't get full marks...

As mentioned in this forum, the concept of the app is good, the implementation just needs to reach the same level....

dugn
04-21-2004, 03:45 AM
tccox wrote:

I am not trying to back them up or anything, but here's something to consider. They have not backed out of that promise as they promise to continue developing batterypack. Battery pack is still being sold on Handango as well.

What they are doing now is they are offering Battery Pack Pro which is supposed to have more features compared to Battery Pack. This is supposed to be developed in addition to Battery Pack.

Let's not get hostile with Omega One until we have proof that they've stopped developing Battery Pack.

I think they're being pretty sneaky and I, for one, won't purchase OmegaOne products anymore. Here's what seems to be their MO:

I bought Journal Bar with the promise of free upgrades forever. They've fixed a few bugs and I've been able to download updated/fixed versions for free. Then, once they develop Journal Bar a bit further, they charged an additional $9.99 for an 'Expansion Pack' that adds new news feeds. Hmmm. Not fishy on it's own - and to some perfectly ok, but then...

I bought Battery Pack with the same promise of lifetime upgrades. Again, a few bug fixes came out and I updated. Then, they came out with Battery Pack Pro - a SEPARATE, 'deluxe' version of Battery Pack that current Battery Pack owners had to pay for if they wanted to upgrade. Hmm...

It makes you wonder why they aren't adding enhancements to Journal Bar versions 2.x - but coming out with Journal Bar 'Expansion packs' instead. Or why none of the Battery Pack Pro features crept into the Battery Pack 5.x versions, but instead - where forked out to a 'new' PRO version of the product.

As far as I've seen, they lure you with the promise of 'free' upgrades, but the upgrades really come by way of 'Pro' and 'Expansion Pack' versions of the products they actually charge you for. To date, I am less than impressed. It makes you wonder if Journal Bar 6.x will actually be renamed something like 'Journal Bar Special Edition' or 'Journal Bar Professional' so they can fork the development tree once again and charge for features they lured customers into thinking they would get as part of their 'lifetime upgrades'.

Until they add real value/features/enhancements to these two products without charging $$, this will be my opinion of OmegaOne and their products.

Jason Dunn
04-21-2004, 05:21 AM
Lifetime upgrades in a market as small as the Pocket PC market is a pipe-dream - developers should know better than to offer that. :roll: It's better to price your products and upgrades affordably and make great products that your users will WANT to pay for. :way to go:

Zack Mahdavi
04-21-2004, 07:25 AM
dugn, I actually am in the same boat you're in. I own Battery Pack, Journal Bar, and 1-Calc.

I was very annoyed when I read that the expansion pack for Journal Bar was released. The features they offer really should be offered with the regular version of Journal Bar. I'm hoping that Battery Pack doesn't go the way of Journal Bar. For example, Battery Pack Pro has landscape support for WM2003SE, but Battery Pack doesn't mention anything about this. If after a month or so, there's not a new version of Battery Pack that supports WM2003SE, then I will be annoyed.

Let's just give them some time to sort things out.

iant54
04-21-2004, 09:13 AM
They've just released their second update - 1.0.2

dugn
04-21-2004, 04:28 PM
Lifetime upgrades in a market as small as the Pocket PC market is a pipe-dream - developers should know better than to offer that. It's better to price your products and upgrades affordably and make great products that your users will WANT to pay for.

I totally agree, Jason. A perfect example is the fact that I've gladly paid for every upgrade to Pocket Informant since 2.01 8) (I love that app!).

Mark from Canada
04-21-2004, 05:21 PM
I seem to be in the minority here.
Tried 1-Pass, it worked, bought full version, it still works.
Glad that I got lucky this time.

Wondering though: maybe only certain devices have the problems?

I am running a Viewsonic V37 with no problems with 1-Pass except that every once in a while a different password screen comes up (less graphic) which allows soft input of the password only, not the hardware buttons.

Mark

griph
04-21-2004, 10:40 PM
I am running a Viewsonic V37 with no problems with 1-Pass except that every once in a while a different password screen comes up (less graphic) which allows soft input of the password only, not the hardware buttons. Mark
Less graphic? Do you mean a white screen with just the top bar and clock - if so - that is one of the issues.

Mark from Canada
04-21-2004, 10:53 PM
I am running a Viewsonic V37 with no problems with 1-Pass except that every once in a while a different password screen comes up (less graphic) which allows soft input of the password only, not the hardware buttons. Mark
Less graphic? Do you mean a white screen with just the top bar and clock - if so - that is one of the issues.

Well, it doesn't have any background graphic, just a light blue colour, and no clock - but it does have the keypad to enter the number-sequence with and I can enter the password. It just doesn't accept the hardware buttons for entry.

griph
04-23-2004, 12:41 AM
Well, it doesn't have any background graphic, just a light blue colour, and no clock - but it does have the keypad to enter the number-sequence with and I can enter the password. It just doesn't accept the hardware buttons for entry.
This really doesn't fill me with the urge to go buy this software - it really is about time OmegaOne improved their Testing reliability and quality control.

Zack Mahdavi
04-23-2004, 04:24 PM
This really doesn't fill me with the urge to go buy this software - it really is about time OmegaOne improved their Testing reliability and quality control.

I agree.. Journal Bar has been giving me some trouble lately. It seems like the latest version fixed my problems, but I wish Omega One had noticed this problem in the first place. It's not that hard to find memory leaks if you use your own product for more than a few days.. :)