View Full Version : Is there a way to have the handheld override the desktop with ActiveSynch?

jparamax
04-20-2004, 01:03 PM
I am a recent convert to the pocket pc world. With my old Palm, the synching s/w allowed me to specify whether I wanted the handheld to override the desktop (or vice versa) or synchronise for each item (contacts; calendar; etc.). The ActiveSynch s/w only seems to allow you to synch. Is there an override option? Please help! Thanks.

Steven Cedrone
04-20-2004, 01:24 PM
I am a recent convert to the pocket pc world. With my old Palm, the synching s/w allowed me to specify whether I wanted the handheld to override the desktop (or vice versa) or synchronise for each item (contacts; calendar; etc.). The ActiveSynch s/w only seems to allow you to synch. Is there an override option? Please help! Thanks.

Short answer: no! (You do have a little bit of control when resolving conflicts) What are you trying to do? There may be ways around it...

Steve

jparamax
04-20-2004, 02:36 PM
Wow, thanks for the speedy response. I used Desktop To Go to transfer my data from my Palm into Outlook, but after I did the synch I realized that I transfered calendar items going back all the way to 2000. I don't need all that junk. I haven't done an ActiveSynch to the pocket pc yet, so I guess I could just delete the stuff I don't need out of Outlook and then do the ActiveSynch. But, what if I had already done the ActiveSynch? Wouldn't that mean that I could never eradicate stuff I didn't want?

Steven Cedrone
04-20-2004, 06:05 PM
Wow, thanks for the speedy response. I used Desktop To Go to transfer my data from my Palm into Outlook, but after I did the synch I realized that I transfered calendar items going back all the way to 2000. I don't need all that junk. I haven't done an ActiveSynch to the pocket pc yet, so I guess I could just delete the stuff I don't need out of Outlook and then do the ActiveSynch. But, what if I had already done the ActiveSynch? Wouldn't that mean that I could never eradicate stuff I didn't want?

Well, in Activesync, you can tell it which items you want to sync for each type. I think (and I'm at a computer without AS on it, so I'm not absolutely sure) you can tell it only to sync x nuber of weeks worth of previous appointments. I'll check on it for you!

Steve

ignar
04-20-2004, 08:22 PM
You can delete your pst file from desktop and sync it. Be sure you make a backup though.

Simone
04-20-2004, 11:24 PM
Unless I'm TOTALLY misreading your dilemma, once you're hooked up to ActiveSync, you can right click on calendar, go to settings and tell it what you want to synch (i.e. sync everything, sync only future appointments, synch only the previous 2 weeks and all future appointments, etc.). At least that's how it works on my Axim.

Simi

Ripper014
04-20-2004, 11:45 PM
ActiveSync updates the latest changes on your PPC or Desktop... unless you have made changes in both locations... then it should ask you which one you want to keep. I believe this answers your question...

Janak Parekh
04-24-2004, 07:31 PM
I transfered calendar items going back all the way to 2000. I don't need all that junk. I haven't done an ActiveSynch to the pocket pc yet, so I guess I could just delete the stuff I don't need out of Outlook and then do the ActiveSynch. But, what if I had already done the ActiveSynch? Wouldn't that mean that I could never eradicate stuff I didn't want?
Actually, by default, ActiveSync only syncs the last two weeks of appointments, so just go ahead, sync, and you'll be all set. :) And if you had accidentally sync'ed more, just delete it from one place, and let it sync back. Bidirectional syncing usually does what you need...

ActiveSync updates the latest changes on your PPC or Desktop... unless you have made changes in both locations... then it should ask you which one you want to keep. I believe this answers your question...
Well.. yes and no. In case of a large-scale conflict (such as when establishing a partnership with a second computer), the only three options are:

1. Overwrite handheld with desktop
2. Combine handheld and desktop
3. Do not sync at this time

Additionally, the options dialog doesn't let you set overwriting rules.

--janak