View Full Version : Simultaneously synch two ppc's?

Oreocat
04-20-2004, 05:55 AM
Sorry to ask since I'm pretty sure it's been asked before, but I did try searching the forums and didn't find the answer...

I just received my Asus 620 (wonderful little ppc, by the way :)) and have it and my husband's Axim set up in Activesynch. They have no problem synching, but what I'd like to know is if it's possible to have them both synched at the same time?

It's just getting a little aggravating to unsynch mine, synch his, load whatever, unsynch his, synch mine, load whatever, discover more for his ppc, unsynch mine, synch his, etc etc etc :roll:

Anyone know if this is possible?

Janak Parekh
04-20-2004, 06:26 AM
Unfortunately, I don't think ActiveSync supports actively syncing more than one Pocket PC at a time on a computer.

ONE option you might want to play with is to set up "manual sync" on ActiveSync's options, and then you at least don't have to undock them. But that's not what you're asking, anyway...

--janak

Oreocat
04-20-2004, 06:54 AM
Phooey. I was aftaid that that would be the answer :(

Well, I haven't heard of a manual synch, so I will check that out-just not having to dock and redock them will be a real help :lol:

Thanks!

Janak Parekh
04-24-2004, 07:10 PM
Well, I haven't heard of a manual synch, so I will check that out-just not having to dock and redock them will be a real help :lol:
To set up a manual sync, go (in desktop AS) to Tools => Options => Schedule and check out the options. If you're OK with just redocking, though, that's certainly the easiest choice.

--janak

Oreocat
04-25-2004, 02:46 AM
Thanks for the instructions, I had tried the manual synching, but....not good. Undocking and redocking was easier.

Actually I found the easiest way was to just keep one unit docked and load the program(s) onto the cf card, and then trade out the cf cards....sorta cheating but it works!

Our ppc's are now mostly set up, so it shouldn't be that big an aggravation for much longer

Thank you though :)

Sven Johannsen
04-25-2004, 04:39 PM
Actually I found the easiest way was to just keep one unit docked and load the program(s) onto the cf card, and then trade out the cf cards....sorta cheating but it works!

For those that may not know, that doesn't work all the time. When you install a program to a removeable flash card, some support files may be writen to main RAM and registry entries made in main RAM. Those entries wouldn't be available if the program was not 'installed'. So moving the card may not let a second PPC run the program. Even programs that only have a single executable wouldn't have a shortcut placed on the Statrt Menu or in the Programs Folder, so you would have to open the File Explorer to launch it. This of course is easily fixed, by creating a shortcut yourself.

To add to the other answers, it is true that you cannot actively sync two PPCs on the same PC at the same time. My remedy is to just turn the PPCs off and on while in the cradle. I have not had any particular problems doing this through Jornadas, Axims, and iPAQs. I can turn the PPCs off, and then when I turn one on, it will sync, and keep syncing. If I need to sync the other one, I turn of the currently syncing one and turn on the second one and it connects and sync.

While one is on, the occasional short power-up the other one does for whatever reason, does not seem to cause a problem. It is not exactly syncing simultaneously, but it does keep me from having to cradle and uncradle all the time. They just all sit in their cradles most of the time, charging. Only one is actively connected and syncing.

Oreocat
04-25-2004, 05:35 PM
"My remedy is to just turn the PPCs off and on while in the cradle"

::bangs head on desk::

You know, I really, truly feel like an idiot now...I can't believe I never even considered the simplest of solutions. And here I was docking and redocking....sheesh :roll:

::Sigh:: It's a good thing I never went into brain surgery, isn't it?

Well, I do appreciate the explanation, Sven, since I *did* have a problem with two programs I tried to transfer via cf card. Now I know why :)

Janak Parekh
04-26-2004, 12:47 AM
::bangs head on desk::
Actually, this is my fault too -- I should have suggested it.

Good suggestions, Sven.

--janak

Oreocat
04-27-2004, 01:25 AM
::snickers:: Don't worry about it Janek, I got more of a giggle out this
than anything :)

Life happens ^_^

Kati Compton
04-27-2004, 01:51 AM
::snickers:: Don't worry about it Janek
"Janak". He get's sensitive about his name.

Don't make him angry.

You wouldn't like him when he's angry.

:)

Oreocat
04-27-2004, 02:05 AM
:lol: Yeah...I saw that *after* I'd sent it, of course.

Sorry Jan*a*k :oops:

Janak Parekh
05-02-2004, 02:00 AM
You wouldn't like him when he's angry.
In all honesty, I was being whiny about it, not angry. :lol: Don't worry too much about it, Oreocat.

--janak