View Full Version : The Latest iPAQ 6300 News

Janak Parekh
04-20-2004, 03:20 AM
News just keeps on coming in on what might be the world's worst secret... or the world's greatest misdirection ;) <li> Marc from iPAQabilities writes in with <a href="http://www.ipaqabilities.com/iaforums/viewtopic.php?t=55">a reader's comments</a> after interacting with a 6315.<br /><li> Smartfone.net <a href="http://www.smartfone.net/71/447.html">has posted HP's slides and SKU information</a> for the 63xx units. At this rate, I'm expecting a Flash animation to be made available before a product is officially announced... :lol:

OSUKid7
04-20-2004, 03:34 AM
Hmm...another 6000 series model by the end of the year. Think I'll prolly wait to see what happens with that since I'm not liking the idea of canceling my Verizon contract just to get the latest iPaq. Thanks for the info. :)

Jeff Rutledge
04-20-2004, 04:49 AM
I'm not a big fan of the looks with the keyboard attachment, but I think it looks good without. I guess it will depend on what the "wireless email" ends up looking like. Meaning, if I can get rid of my Blackberry by hooking this up to our BES, I may just have to live with the looks. :)

Mitch D
04-20-2004, 05:32 AM
I'm not a big fan of the looks with the keyboard attachment, but I think it looks good without. I guess it will depend on what the "wireless email" ends up looking like. Meaning, if I can get rid of my Blackberry by hooking this up to our BES, I may just have to live with the looks. :)

Hey JR did you remember to keep your keyboard away from you so that your drool would not short it out? :wink:

bucho
04-20-2004, 06:07 AM
I'm not a big fan of the looks with the keyboard attachment, but I think it looks good without. I guess it will depend on what the "wireless email" ends up looking like. Meaning, if I can get rid of my Blackberry by hooking this up to our BES, I may just have to live with the looks. :)Same here... As much as I like the specs I'm not buying it unless the push blackberry like email is there... will stick to my P900.

DREAMWEAVER
04-20-2004, 06:29 AM
I am really supprised, it is so ugly. One of the main things that attracted me to the first iPAQs was the exciting look of them, this thing is real disapointment.

What happened to the LG slide out keyboard design? Now that was cool.

fishfuzz
04-20-2004, 06:56 AM
Props to you for the nice post - I just had to crib and post the news on pocketnow.com (http://www.pocketnow.com) (of course giving the source credits to PPT :D )

manywhere
04-20-2004, 07:34 AM
The most interesting details in the Smartfone slides are the following:
A micro-keyboard will be included in the package
Mono wired headset (why not stereo, HP?)
The prices will be:
6315 (w/ camera) -- $ 599
6310 (no camera) -- $ 579
Some sort of MMS editor/viewerYou should take this with a grain of salt as we don't know when the slide was written and what has been changed since then... But it is juicy isn't it? :wink:

maximum360
04-20-2004, 01:02 PM
1. Ugly
2. Bulky
3. Slow (200 MHz is a horrible option. For shame HP, 400 MHz should be standard these days)
4. Outdated OS (well kinda since we have a new one)
5. Horrible Camera option (I have an i700, a .3 Megapixel is kinda worhtless)
6. Memory is just average (I expected HP to pave the way for 128 MB RAM and 64 MB ROM standard).

The MPX seems like a much better option at this point. For me though, I think I'll stick with the i700 a bit longer. Carriers are just as important as the hardware IMO. I had T-Mobile for a year with an ipaq and the gprs sleeve and when I did get a signal it crawled.

ChristopherTD
04-20-2004, 01:10 PM
To add to the debate, I got an email from a supplier saying that the 5550 had gone "end of life" and that the 4150 was the current model to recommend.

So there is certainly a hole opening up in the HP line up!

ctitanic
04-20-2004, 02:25 PM
Hmm...another 6000 series model by the end of the year. Think I'll prolly wait to see what happens with that since I'm not liking the idea of canceling my Verizon contract just to get the latest iPaq. Thanks for the info. :)

I will wait until I see the first unlock ones at ebay or any other stores ;)
In another hand I would like to check first how good is this new OMAP processor compared with the XScales.

Stephen Beesley
04-20-2004, 02:53 PM
I must say I am not really sold on either the looks or the specifications at this stage - but we will not really know until it finally turns up in the shops.

One of the things I really do not like is the external antenna (also one of the reasons I didn't like the 5450 series). They can get away without one on the XDA II so why not on this device?

Angkor
04-20-2004, 02:55 PM
Did they try to sell me the antique one? 200 mhz? Even my ipaq 3600 is 206 mhz, this is 4 years ago.

ctitanic
04-20-2004, 03:09 PM
Did they try to sell me the antique one? 200 mhz? Even my ipaq 3600 is 206 mhz, this is 4 years ago.

Thatīs not true. The old 206 ARM performs better than the XScale PXA250. Currently I would say that the PXA255 is around just 30% faster than the old ARM. This OMAP at 200 could be a big surprise and may be not. Who knows...? We will have to wait until we see the first benchmarks.

JOHNL
04-20-2004, 03:10 PM
I am waiting to upgrade my old Casio E115 to an iPaq but I am not going to unless HP produces a PPC with features like the 5500 series and includes a VGA screen. I would be nice to have 2 drives, fast processor, and a lot of memory. If HP does not act soon I may be looking at toshiba

gohtor
04-20-2004, 04:21 PM
To add to the debate, I got an email from a supplier saying that the 5550 had gone "end of life" and that the 4150 was the current model to recommend.

So there is certainly a hole opening up in the HP line up!

if that's true then this 6xxx model should be able to use the exisiting old sleeves just to not piss off the third party hardware peripheral vendors.

DaleReeck
04-20-2004, 04:25 PM
People keep saying how bulky the 6300 looks. I don't understand. Supposedly, its the same size as an iPaq 2200 - which is quite small. Another thing they keep mentioning is that they are disaapointed in the processor (which I am too) but that the Motorola MPX will be faster. But I don't think that's true. Dale at PocketPCPassion is playing with an MPX and I think he said it had the same 1510 processor.

ctitanic
04-20-2004, 04:35 PM
People keep saying how bulky the 6300 looks. I don't understand. Supposedly, its the same size as an iPaq 2200 - which is quite small. Another thing they keep mentioning is that they are disaapointed in the processor (which I am too) but that the Motorola MPX will be faster. But I don't think that's true. Dale at PocketPCPassion is playing with an MPX and I think he said it had the same 1510 processor.

I have not read about any benchmark for these new OMAP processors...
could you post a link to those complaining about the new OMAP?

ricksfiona
04-20-2004, 07:00 PM
The only way I would upgrade from my iPAQ 5550 would be:

- Faster processor. If you can keep power consumption comparable, 700MHz would be great.
- Faster multimedia processing. One of the reasons I use my IPaq is it's multimedia capabilities. It would be great to not have to strip out so much from a transferred DVD, that you can watch a movie on it without reminding yourself that you had to strip stuff out of it. Make sense?
- VGA screen. I'm quite happy with the current screen, so this is really a luxury item.
- Thinner design. Again, another luxury issue.

Since I'm a two-device kinda user, I have no need for GPRS built-in. I would like more refinement to the top end stuff and add better user interaction technologies (VGA), than adding a whole new technology that will take a while to work out it's kinks.

Jason Lee
04-20-2004, 07:37 PM
The only thing i am really concerned about it the performance. I would love to see some comparison benchmarks. But I may still have to stick with 2 devices with all these new ppc comming out with new processors and graphics accelerators, vga, more memory....

What looks really good to me right now is the new asus or the roomered toshiba 830 (i want the bluetooth).

I dunno. If this one is fast enough to play may games and not to sluggish multimedia wise i don't think i'll have a problem with it.
I guess i'll just have to wait and see... as usual. I have been waiting since the first ppc phones were just roomers. How much longer to I have to wait?
:|

Mitch D
04-21-2004, 01:30 AM
1. Ugly
2. Bulky
3. Slow (200 MHz is a horrible option. For shame HP, 400 MHz should be standard these days)

1. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder
2. It is a PPCPE
3. Speed vs Battery Time... Given the fact that this unit is a PE would battey run time and stand-by time not be more important than speed?

In this industry we always seem to have to give up one thing to get another also remember these are still preproduction specs. Nothing is ever written in stone (except the fact that I will have offended someone with this comment, no matter how diplomatic I try to be.) till the fat file sings! :)

manywhere
04-21-2004, 06:53 AM
One of the things I really do not like is the external antenna (also one of the reasons I didn't like the 5450 series). They can get away without one on the XDA II so why not on this device?
It's the WiFi antenna that sticks out on the 6300 and not a GSM. If you want to half the coverage area from/to a WiFi access point, then be my guest and saw off the antenna... :lol:

Stephen Beesley
04-21-2004, 08:52 AM
It's the WiFi antenna that sticks out on the 6300 and not a GSM. If you want to half the coverage area from/to a WiFi access point, then be my guest and saw off the antenna... :lol:

I suppose that begs the question of what how much less the wifi range of something like the e750 or e800 without an antenna is when compared to the 54xx/55xx or 6300 with an antenna. Anybody seen any comaprasions of this?

bnycastro
04-21-2004, 09:36 AM
Reading your comments I am having my doubts on getting a converged device (like the MPx and h6xxx).

So here's what I would like on my next iPAQ...
4inch VGA with a flip!
Win Mobile 2K3 SE
Dual Slots (CF/SDIO)
Dual Wireless (WiFi/BT make sure the BT issues in h22xx is fixed)
Minimum of 1800mAh Standard/User Swappable Battery
32 MB RAM (for Processes) + 128 MB RAM (for Storage) + 64 MB ROM (for OS)

Now, I know it looks like a Tosh but I want an iPAQ to have these specs. If you let me choose hp or Tosh I'd have to go with hp for the meantime. Simply because I've had great experience with their support (i.e. ROM updates and stuff, although it seems less nowadays) and customer service (they replaced my IPAQ in 2 days with a new unit).

Maybe I will get a Smartphone to complement my PPC for now... the MPx100 looks nice (in pics atleast)

jake080
04-21-2004, 09:09 PM
A preorder with TBA pricing:

http://www.expansys-usa.com/product.asp?code=IPAQ6000&sbadd=IPAQ6000

sorry if this has been posted already!

~Jake

christy
06-26-2004, 05:17 PM
as I have written in this foroum before I have the Ipaq 5555 or had. My house recently burnt down along with the ipaq. I tried to replace it and it has been discontinued. Also my cell phone gone. I would like to replace my cell and ipaq with the 6315 however I need a cell phone temperaraly and would like to know if anyone knows phone providers will be for the 6315 so I don't screw up any contracts. I need to decide soon anyone know?

Janak Parekh
06-26-2004, 07:49 PM
as I have written in this foroum before I have the Ipaq 5555 or had. My house recently burnt down along with the ipaq. I tried to replace it and it has been discontinued. Also my cell phone gone.
Ouch. I'm very sorry to hear that. :cry: :cry: :cry: I hope everyone was OK!

I would like to replace my cell and ipaq with the 6315 however I need a cell phone temperaraly and would like to know if anyone knows phone providers will be for the 6315 so I don't screw up any contracts. I need to decide soon anyone know?
The 6300 series device will be released as a GSM unit, which means it could be carried by T-Mobile, Cingular, or AT&T. Rumors suggest either T-Mobile or AT&T first, but nothing official is confirmed yet. :( Do you have a contract with a provider already, and if so, who is it? You might be able to get a cheap phone without contract from a third party if you need it right away...

--janak

christy
06-28-2004, 05:37 PM
I just signed with t- mobile,however, I have another week to decide wether I want to keep them as a carrier.
Thanks for the info. please let me know if you learn anything else

Janak Parekh
06-28-2004, 07:15 PM
I just signed with t- mobile,however, I have another week to decide wether I want to keep them as a carrier.
Unfortunately, I doubt there'll officially be anything new within a week. :(

Also, if you are locked into a contract with a phone provider, you don't get the ability to get a discounted phone until near the end of the contract... so even if it were to be made availble on T-Mobile, getting it for a good price might be an issue.

--janak