View Full Version : Tom's Hardware Guide Does Marathon

Jonathon Watkins
04-18-2004, 04:00 AM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnews/20040412_000002.html' target='_blank'>http://www.tomshardware.com/hardnew...412_000002.html</a><br /><br /></div>As <a href="http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26714&">we mentioned </a>last week, Intel has just launched a new graphics accelerator for handheld devices. Called the 2700G (codenamed Marathon), the multimedia chip is designed to deliver high performance graphics rendering on mobile devices. Well, someone's actually managed to get their hands on one to see if it does.<br /><br />"A first live demonstration of the chip at Tom's Hardware Guide labs in Munich supports Intel's bold performance statement. "The graphics performance of the reference platform appears to be on the same level as those of chips currently used in game consoles," said Harald Thon, managing editor. So far it is just an subjective impression, but Thon said he was surprised by lighting and shader effects, display of detail and the frame rate of the FPS demo which ran in VGA resolution." Objective benchmarks, they've heard of them! <br /><br />"There is no doubt that Intel's market entry will accelerate the development of graphics chips for handheld devices. You don't have to be a visionary to forecast that PDAs and cell phones will evolve to gaming platforms which will rival the performance of your Playstation in the not too distant future. Despite the doubt of analysts, Intel is first to publicly demonstrate game demos and videos in VGA resolution approaching 30 frames per second on a handheld device - at least to our knowledge. As comparison, typical PocketPCs currently reach maximum frame rates of about 20 fps with software acceleration such as Fathammer's X-Forge. For now, we have to believe Intel and will have to wait until we can get our hands on a review unit to see what the 2700G is capable of." I'm all for decent 3D graphics on the PPC, but as I've said before, I hope that this won't impact the battery life too much. Too much of a good thing and all that........

omikron.sk
04-18-2004, 09:01 AM
I like this. Competition of 3 great companies for a graphic chip in you device? We like this, don't we? I'm looking forward to the times, I'll be able to play full-3D FPS on my PPC. That's gonna be great!
Imagine the situation when not only 2 companies are trying to get best graphic chip to you for the smallest price (Desktop PCs), but even three (PPC)!

Jonathon Watkins
04-18-2004, 02:59 PM
I like this. Competition of 3 great companies for a graphic chip in you device? We like this, don't we? I'm looking forward to the times, I'll be able to play full-3D FPS on my PPC. That's gonna be great!

Yes, we like! :wink: Competition is good, faster graphics are good. :mrgreen:

Good to see all this emphasis on VGA as well. 8)

ipaqgeek
04-23-2004, 03:05 PM
Now if they combine this with an i-glasses compatible VGA port on the PDA we could watch full motion video in virtual space from a PDA. Cool.

Talon
04-23-2004, 05:33 PM
I like this. Competition of 3 great companies for a graphic chip in you device?
Well 4 companies technically. The OMAP2 parts (330MHz ARM11 plus 220MHz DSP) also have build in 3D graphics based on the same PowerVR technology as Intel have used. I don't know how the performace will compare, TI claim 2M polygons/sec the story doesn't give the intel performance.
A 330MHz ARM11 and a 520MHz Xscale should be fairly close in terms of raw number crunching, the xscale slightly ahead but not by much. The OMAP on the other hand has a far better memory structure and that matters a lot for game type applications. Plus building it all into one will save a lot of bandwidth on the memory bus, something that is still an issue on the intel parts.
Things could get interesting.

Jonathon Watkins
04-24-2004, 05:43 PM
...Things could get interesting.

They certainly will. Cheers for the extra info. :)