View Full Version : rookie wanting to buy pocketpc, needs guidance

VALUER
04-17-2004, 06:19 PM
group,
i'm totally new to pda's and need some guidance. i am a real estate appraiser and i have regular need to access internet while in field to connect to a mls database via internet. Looking at HP Ipaq's or Dell pocket pc. from what i read it appears i will need to buy some time interface or bluetooth adapter to access internet via my cell phone. suggestions would be appreciated. minimum memory, minimum processor speed, difficulty in use of cell phone as a modem, etc.

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 10:05 PM
When you want to enter the MLS database, a Pocket PC with a traditional screen and resolution may not too desirable, the screen and resolution is just too tiny.

I would recommend a new VGA Pocket PC, their screens are far nicer and not too mention bigger.

Accessing the internet over your cell phone, you need Bluetooth on the PDA and Cell Phone and an Internet plan on your cell phone. You could hook up with a Gomadic cable, but it would be bulky to carry around.

-Justin.

Also, a tip from me to you would be to ask this question in the Just Chatting forum, you would get far better results and answers.

Wiggster
04-18-2004, 12:22 AM
If you have a bluetooth phone, and think that 240x320 is good enough resolution, I'd recommend the iPaq 1945 (http://pocketpcthoughts.pricegrabber.com/search_getprod.php/masterid=1044605/search=ipaq%2520194/ut=18018db1b02f9ecf). It's What I'd consider just above minimum specs: it's got a 266 MHz processor, 64mb RAM, SDIO slot (secure digital IO. (PDAs store all the information in either RAM or on storage cards, so if you need more than 30mb of space, you can find a 256 mb SD card for under $80 now), built-in bluetooth, and a nice form factor.

And as for using a Bluetooth-enabled phone as a modem, it's pretty easy. You just have to find out the number to dial for your service provider, and enter that in the number to dial, and select "Bluetooth phone" as the modem. If you have T-Mobile, you get unlimited access for a flat fee. With things like Cingular and Verizon, I believe you can buy limited access, and pay per kilobyte above that limit.

As for bare specs, I'd say:
Processor: 266 MHz (negotiable, but nothing below 206 MHz)
RAM: 64 MB (you'll want a storage card as well, most likely)
Integrated: Bluetooth

Also, a Bluetooth phone is a must. Using IR will be horribly slow, although you may still find a dongle that connects a specific device to your phone. But Bluetooth is extremely easy to use.

GSmith
04-18-2004, 03:40 AM
I agree with adwignall. I use T-Mobile's unlimited internet plan ($20/month).

The biggest issue with T-Mobile is coverage in rural areas is spotty or non-existant. But main roads and subdivisions should be acceptable.

For a decent cheap bluetooth phone, try the Sony Ericsson T610. If you're new to T-Mobile, it is available from Amazon for an amazing price. If you're an existing customer, you can get it for around $100, with rebate.

The iPAQ 1945 is the least expensive iPAQ with Bluetooth built-in, but it won't be upgradable to WM2003 SE ("Second Edition"). You need to go with the iPAQ 2210/2215 for that. For purchase right now, compare these two.

For the cheapest combo: Combine an iPAQ 1945, Sony Ericsson T610, T-Mobile Internet plan. Add a bluetooth GPS unit, Routis software and an SD storage card and you're in business.

(I haven't personally tested running bluetooth GPS with bluetooth internet.)

I'm a big iPAQ fan because of their excellent support (that I've actually used).

Ryan Joseph
04-18-2004, 04:24 PM
Ahem...T-Mobile has a FREE Internet plan (I'm posting this using it right now). I'm surprised how few people know about it. Just do a search in the forums for "free WAP." I've posted about it several times.

GSmith
04-18-2004, 05:19 PM
You're right. There is a lot of buzz about free WAP and email on T-Mobile. Can you access all internet web sites using free WAP?

Ryan Joseph
04-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Almost all sites. :roll:

The free WAP plan only gies you access to certain ports. The ports that are restricted are the ones for Instant Messaging and the ones for secure sites. So, with the free plan you can access the entire Internet except for IM and banking. :mrgreen:

I don't know about you, but it's not worth 20 bucks a month to me to be able to do my banking wirelessly. I'll wait until I get home to do that. :wink:

And the port for email is NOT blocked, so you can get the entire Internet and email through Pocket Inbox. Very, very sweet.

yvilla
04-18-2004, 07:01 PM
I would say that for business use as proposed, maybe going for the cheapest isn't the answer. I second the suggestion of a VGA capable device. The Toshiba e800 is available now, and will be upgradeable to SE, and soon according to several reports. Also, the new Asus is coming out with a VGA screen soon. Once anyone has experienced VGA resolution on a PPC, there is just no recommending of anything else! :lol:

And an alternative to a Bluetooth or cable connection to a phone for internet access would be a CF format GSM/GPRS (eg T-Mobile) or CDMA (eg Sprint) card.

GSmith
04-18-2004, 08:35 PM
Agreed. It boils down to choice and expense. The Toshiba does not have bluetooth but by reports has a beautiful screen.

But one report I read said that someone needed a friend to access the VGA in native resolution. I don't know if this is necessary. And very likely won't be when WM2003SE is shipped.

The iPAQ 1945 has built-in bluetooth and will require no additional expense beyond the T610 (or other bluetooth phone) to get to the internet.

You can spend more to get more.

e805 at $600+$50 for bluetooth vs iPAQ 1945 at $300 including bluetooth.

If your (original poster) MLS site is accessible without requiring SSL (i.e. a secure site), and is somewhat readable at 320x240, then I know what I'd pick ;-)

yvilla
04-18-2004, 10:42 PM
Yes I agree too, it all boils down to choice. But, since the poster's primary expressed need and proposed use is access over the internet to an information database, then it sure seems like the ability to have 4 times as much information displayed, per screen, would be an important factor informing his decision. Thus, the recommendation of a VGA capable device.

Kowalski
04-19-2004, 12:10 PM
for an average user i always recommend 1945 because in my opinion for the price this is the best ppc on the market.