View Full Version : Today background image getting BRIGHTENED?

Auracon
04-17-2004, 09:12 AM
Hey guys-

I copied several images to my Ipaq to use them as my background images for the Today screen, and I see every single one of them being displayed with so much more brightness. (The images are not displayed as they are but rather with much more white brightness.)

When I just open them with image viewer on Ipaq, they look fine. But when I set them to be used as background image for Today screen they're all whitened up.

Is there any way to keep them as they are even when they're put as background?

Thanks!

rhmorrison
04-17-2004, 10:29 AM
FIRST SEARCH... THEN POST!

background image (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=21382&highlight=background+image) Background / Wallpaper ?? (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=20653&highlight=background+image) basic today screen question... (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=19026&highlight=background+image)

Kowalski
04-17-2004, 12:09 PM
FIRST SEARCH... THEN POST
take it easy man, this guy is just a new member and i am sure he will learn the rules but just be calm. what we are here for is just helping eachother!

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 05:24 PM
Yeah, that was a tad harsh don't you think? Anyways, you have to create your theme with any Theme maker available to you, whether it is free from Microsoft or a paid version with more options from other companies - whether it be McDeb or similar. I wouldn't pay the money because it's only a theme, I don't need colors of fonts changing or anything.

It makes the image lighter just so that you won't get mad at it for hiding any text on the today screen.

Hope that helps,

Justin.

Auracon
04-17-2004, 07:49 PM
Thanks a lot guys!

Btw, I DID SEARCH before my post with keywords "TODAY BACKGROUND" and "TODAY BACKGROUND IMAGE", but thanks to the search feature of this board, it would show everything that contains "TODAY" or "BACKGROUND" or "IMAGE". I had a load of non-relating topics listed on my screen and gave up.

It's really hard to search when there's more than one word involved.

But I could've tried harder.. anyways thanks again for your answers!

Jeff Rutledge
04-17-2004, 08:08 PM
I know what you're saying. You can change the search to "Search for All Terms" instead. It defaults to search for any terms.

Sysadmins: Is it possible to change the default setting here? It may be worth considering.

Falstaff
04-17-2004, 11:06 PM
It makes the image lighter just so that you won't get mad at it for hiding any text on the today screen.

I think he's talking about the opposite problem, he wants it darker not lighter (I think). I don't know if that is possible, because when you use an image as a background, the OS automatically increases brightness and decreases contrast to make the text easy enough to read. I don't know of any way to get around that besides changing those two things in photoshop to counteract what PPC does.

JustinGTP
04-18-2004, 07:34 AM
Falstaff,

That is my point exactly - WM makes the picture lighter automatically so that it makes sure you can see the text on the today screen. I know he wants to make it darker or keep it how the picture looks in any image viewer, so you would have to go through a theme maker.

-Justin.

Steven Cedrone
04-18-2004, 03:57 PM

Just as others have said: the only way to force the image to stay the same is to use a theme generator!

Grab yourself a copy of the Microsoft Theme Generator, (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/pocketpc/themegenerator.mspx) and see if it does what you want!

Steve

Falstaff
04-18-2004, 04:19 PM
That is my point exactly - WM makes the picture lighter automatically so that it makes sure you can see the text on the today screen. I know he wants to make it darker or keep it how the picture looks in any image viewer, so you would have to go through a theme maker.

Oops, I misread your post, I thought you were still talking about the theme generator when you said it lightened images. My bad.

Auracon, I'd reccommend using the MS Theme generator that Steven provided the link for. It works great and does everything I want (change fot color, image brightness/contrast, top and bottom bar bg colors, etc. It also includes a task switcher for your device that can change the background every so often, or you can manually switch it by tapping the today screen component of it. Although the best part of that software is that it's free! If you like using that, but want more, you can always move up and buy the more advanced software.

felixdd
08-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Hey guys-

I copied several images to my Ipaq to use them as my background images for the Today screen, and I see every single one of them being displayed with so much more brightness. (The images are not displayed as they are but rather with much more white brightness.)

When I just open them with image viewer on Ipaq, they look fine. But when I set them to be used as background image for Today screen they're all whitened up.

Thanks!
Auracon.

WM2003 has an app called "Picture Viewer" -- maybe WM2002 but I'm not sure. Use it to open your picture, then under "tools" there's an option for "set as wallpaper." Select it. You'll notice that transparency is cranked way up (66% by default). Turn it down to 0% to make it darker.

Edit: if you use the option "use picture as wallpaper" that's under the Today setup, then it cranks the transparency to 66% by default. If you do it under Picture Viewer you get to decide.