View Full Version : An Introduction to Wireless USB

Janak Parekh
04-16-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://deviceforge.com/articles/AT9015145687.html' target='_blank'>http://deviceforge.com/articles/AT9015145687.html</a><br /><br /></div>"Universal serial bus (USB) technology has been a popular connection type for PCs and it's migrating into consumer electronic (CE) and mobile devices. Now this high-speed and effective connection interface is unwiring to provide the functionality of wired USB without the burden of cables. This next iteration of USB technology is the focus of the new Wireless USB Promoter Group, which will define the specifications that will eventually provide standards for the technology."<br /><br />This DeviceForge article is a good introduction to Wireless USB, what it plans to support, and a look at its consequences. Unsurprisingly, it's all designed around the PC acting as the hub, as Intel wants to protect its PC business. The real question is what wireless standards will be prevalent when WUSB hits the market (it'll be several years, since they're using UWB.) While WUSB, WiFi, and Bluetooth all are competitors to some extent, they do fill different niches: WUSB is a centralized peripheral attachment strategy, WiFi is a LAN networking technology, and Bluetooth is a peer-to-peer device connection technology. While WUSB and Bluetooth are somewhat similar, they also have striking differences, and I think it's too early to tell what effect the two will have on each other.

JonnoB
04-16-2004, 08:27 PM
Intel information (http://www.intel.com/labs/wusb/) is available. Although they are different, I can easily forsee WUSB replacing Bluetooth as it can do an even better job in low-power consumption. We have already seen PPC devices with USB host capabilities, it would make since to make this wireless (when available). The only question I have not seen answered yet is what is going to be done about security. This is one area where Bluetooth is pretty good at. Can you imagine someone walking up to your WUSB enabled computer with a WUSB enabled keyboard/mouse and taking over your system?

SeanH
04-16-2004, 10:30 PM
There are so many emerging standards to make peripherals work in the wireless world.

WiFi (IEEE 802.11 a/b/g) - This directly replaces wired Ethernet and uses a TCP/IP stack typically to send network packets from device to device. It can be used in a peer to peer mode (Adhoc) but both machine need to set manual IP’s and need to be configured to run in a Adhoc mode. An access point can give the machines IP addresses in an AP mode using DHCP. This probably will never be used to connect wireless peripherals to a PDA or laptop. Its advantage is its huge acceptance for wireless networking of PC’s and is supported by many many vendors today.

Bluetooth (IEEE 802.15.1) - This directly replaces wired RS-232 (serial ports). It does have other profiles for things like headsets and speaker phones. Most peripherals on a PDA are serial now including keyboards, GPS units, cell phone data interfaces and many others. This makes it real easy to adapt existing peripherals to Bluetooth today. Another large benefit that Bluetooth is that its been around a couple of years and finally you can go to Best Buy and purchase devices that work today over Bluetooth including PPC’s, Palm’s, keyboards, mice, many cell phones, GPS units and headsets.

Zigbee (IEEE 802.15.4) – This is targeted for wireless embedded designs and short range remote sensors. This is a really new standard that has IEEE approval 802.11.4 but the higher level protocols are still being defined. This standard most likely will not be used for wireless peripherals on consumer devices.

Wireless USB (no IEEE standard) – This is targeted to make standard USB 2.0 devices wireless. Hardwired USB has three speeds 1.5Mb, 12Mb, and 480Mb. 1.5Mb is used for keyboards and mice and joysticks. 12Mb is used for scanners printers and a lot of other general devices. 480Mb is used for external storage and devices that need to pump a lot of data. Cypress is the only company shipping a wireless USB device today. Its speed is 62.5Kb far below the 1.5Mb standard. Intel announced a short while ago they will support devices up to 480Mb. I am sure there will other vendors that will create there own standard. The problem with all these standards is they will never work with each other and are designed not to. Intel can start developing a standard and include it in there chip sets but its going to be many years before we see product. It will be at least three years before you could go to best buy and purchase wireless USB devices that interoperates with each other like Bluetooth does today.

I predict over the years that WiFi will continue to grow for the wireless LAN and will never be used for peripherals. Bluetooth will become more and more popular because it will be in every laptop and PDA in the next three years and will target peripherals that use the 1.5Mb spec of wired USB. Wireless USB will turn into a huge fight over standards and fail.

Sean

Ed Hansberry
04-16-2004, 10:38 PM
While WUSB and Bluetooth are somewhat similar, they also have striking differences, and I think it's too early to tell what effect the two will have on each other.
First one to get it right wins!

Zack Mahdavi
04-16-2004, 11:00 PM
I predict over the years that WiFi will continue to grow for the wireless LAN and will never be used for peripherals. Bluetooth will become more and more popular because it will be in every laptop and PDA in the next three years and will target peripherals that use the 1.5Mb spec of wired USB. Wireless USB will turn into a huge fight over standards and fail.

Sean, I agree with you. However, we never know what Intel's marketing muscle is capable of! :D

SeanH
04-16-2004, 11:13 PM
Sean, I agree with you. However, we never know what Intel's marketing muscle is capable of! :D
Intel is not the technical muscle machine everyone thinks.

Intel created the x86 platform and does very well with it. :D

Intel did not create the StrongARM or XScale architecture used in all our PDA’s, it came from Digital. Digital licensed the ARM core from ARM and ran it at very high speeds. Intel acquired Digital Semi and that technology. :cry:

Intel still does not have a WiFi chip set they use a Cisco’s 802.11 chip set in every Centreno laptop that has the Centreno label. :cry:

Sean

Zack Mahdavi
04-16-2004, 11:37 PM
Intel is not the technical muscle machine everyone thinks.

I know they're not the technical muscle, but they by far have the marketing muscle.

For example, to push its horrible Itanium processor, Intel paid big-name developers such as Adobe to write software for the Itanium processor.

Of course, if something's not technically good, it won't succeed, no matter how many dollars are put into it... ie. the Itanium processor.

altden2002
04-17-2004, 11:23 AM
If WUSB is going to require 20-page "getting started" documents like bluetooth does i woud rather stick to the wires. Wired connections are way easier to setup and work order of magnitude more reliable than wireless. They have to get it user-friendly and reliable or users will not embrace it.

Jonathon Watkins
04-17-2004, 12:00 PM
While WUSB and Bluetooth are somewhat similar, they also have striking differences, and I think it's too early to tell what effect the two will have on each other.
First one to get it right wins!

So, between Bluetooth and WUSB, which one would you pick? :wink:

SeanH
04-17-2004, 01:46 PM
If WUSB is going to require 20-page "getting started" documents like bluetooth does i woud rather stick to the wires. Wired connections are way easier to setup and work order of magnitude more reliable than wireless. They have to get it user-friendly and reliable or users will not embrace it.
Bluetooth does not require a 20 page getting started book. Once devices are paired you can set them to auto connect when in range and they work just like a wired serial device.

Sean

SeanH
04-17-2004, 01:53 PM
So, between Bluetooth and WUSB, which one would you pick? :wink:
It’s a simple choice. Go to Best Buy in 2004, 2005 and 2006 and ask for a PDA with WUSB and one with Bluetooth. You will not find one with WUSB for the next few years. In 2006 every PDA, Laptop and Desktop will have Bluetooth. All the higher end PPC’s and Palm’s have Bluetooth now. WUSB will still be defining there protocol.

Sean

JonnoB
04-17-2004, 11:48 PM
Bluetooth does not require a 20 page getting started book. Once devices are paired you can set them to auto connect when in range and they work just like a wired serial device.

Unfortunately, that is not the experience most people have. Bluetooth is poorly implemented on most devices and makes the experience a bad one for most people. USB (currently wired) on the other hand is a pleasurable experience now and I suspect WUSB would be as well. It just may take too long for WUSB to come to market.

Janak Parekh
04-18-2004, 07:31 AM
USB (currently wired) on the other hand is a pleasurable experience now and I suspect WUSB would be as well.
We shouldn't assume that. ;) USB back in the 1.0 days was terribly unstable and an absolute pain-in-the-neck. I can't count the number of times I just threw my hands up due to chipset-peripheral incompatibilities.

--janak

JonnoB
04-18-2004, 06:22 PM
USB (currently wired) on the other hand is a pleasurable experience now and I suspect WUSB would be as well.
We shouldn't assume that. ;) USB back in the 1.0 days was terribly unstable and an absolute pain-in-the-neck. I can't count the number of times I just threw my hands up due to chipset-peripheral incompatibilities.

--janak

Right, I remember that too... which means that if WUSB is based on the wired USB that has already gone through the growing pains, then we are that much better off. Bluetooth is experiencing that now, but unlike USB, there is no strong SIG to enforce future compatibility. WUSB could do very well quickly building off of the wired USB legacy.