View Full Version : How many email accounts do you have?

Stephen Beesley
04-16-2004, 02:49 PM
As I was typing up a previous post about my search for a free IMAP4/Web Mail service, I got to thinking about just how many email accounts I have and was staggered to find that there were at least 6 - including a hotmail account that I have had just about for ever, but still get the occassional "non-spam" email in and a couple of other "spam trap" accounts.

It made me wonder just how many email accounts people have out there.

Stephen Beesley
04-16-2004, 02:55 PM
whoops - I seem to have messed up that poll. There should also be a fourth option for those of you with 6 or more email accounts.

Jacob
04-16-2004, 03:12 PM
I have a couple of hotmail accounts which are old, but I still get emails from some companies and people so I keep them around.

I mainly use my fastmail account plus the aliases it provides though.

I can use plus-addressing with IMAP to filter emails from specific places into specific folders. Their free option isn't as configurable, but annually my account there costs about as much as a hotmail premium account and it's much better.

jake080
04-16-2004, 03:36 PM
yeah, im truly a 6+ user, i think i 'have' like 12 or so accounts, and when gmail is available, add another there, as well as 2 new ones on my personal domain :roll:
sorta rediculous, but true.
~Jake

Kati Compton
04-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Something like 10 for me. Though I really only use 5-6. Some of the others are aliases, etc.

draiken
04-16-2004, 03:42 PM
Is less than 6 even possible? :D

2 Hotmail
2 Yahoo
2 from ISP
1 from hosting provider

Mainly I use 1 of the Yahoo's and 1 from Hotmail and the one from my hosting provider, for different purposes of course

Ryan Joseph
04-16-2004, 03:48 PM
I'm the lone person who voted 2. I only have one personal email address and I use it for everything. I've had the same address for years, so everyone knows me by that now. And I have one at work, which I use only for work related emails between departments, etc.

Zack Mahdavi
04-16-2004, 03:58 PM
I have 3 active accounts..

1) My main web-hosted account
2) One that UT Austin provides
3) One that the CS department in UT provides

Pat Logsdon
04-16-2004, 04:41 PM
I have 10:

1 ISP
6 at a domain I own
1 here
1 hotmail
1 yahoo
Plus a bunch of aliases in an attempt to minimize spam

I don't use the hotmail or yahoo addresses all that much, but the others get used quite a bit.

Janak Parekh
04-16-2004, 04:44 PM
I have 10
Only 10?!? I can't count how many I have anymore. :P They all go into one mailbox so that I can treat them sanely.

--janak

Steven Cedrone
04-16-2004, 05:28 PM
I have a ton! I don't even want to try to count them right now! :wink:

Steve

Theo
04-16-2004, 06:03 PM
I have a ton too - but as I have a domain name I use the bit before the @ as a unique identifier for anything I sign-up for online. I can then easily see where my spam is coming from.

For instance 2 weeks ago the address I use for the Unitied Airlines email distribution list has been used for sending me spam. So I guess they have either sold my address on or have been hacked.

Normally I send people to ask why my address has got onto a spam list. Haven't in this instance ... yet.

Have a great weekend folks.

Zack Mahdavi
04-16-2004, 07:08 PM
Normally I send people to ask why my address has got onto a spam list. Haven't in this instance ... yet.

I do a similar thing with the domain name thing. Do they generally respond?

kellybelly
04-17-2004, 12:07 AM
1 work
1 Hotmail
2 Yahoo
3 on one domain I own
6 on another domain I own
8 on yet another domain I own

tack on a spam@ to each of the three domains (used for spamassassin) and i think that's it!

Candygogo
04-17-2004, 12:27 AM
I'm in the majority with the 3-5, probably have more. There's always the 'mostly spammed out, but may still get a relevant email' email account. Some are for relatives who don't own a computer. You'd be surprised on some of the services that 'would like' you to have an email account!

Thinkingmandavid
04-17-2004, 12:36 AM
HOwdy
I have,
1 hotmail...I have been using this one since 1998 and it is my main email account. Unfortunately I had my hotmail account broken into twice and recently about a month or so ago.

1 yahoo....I am considering opening a business account with yahoo and making that one my main email account. I for certain need more space. At 100 megs.

1 icq...I only opened this one since I like to use icq, I thought it would be cool, but I really do not like it very much and for around two weeks, maybe three, I have been considering closing it.

1 work...I have to use it.

1 UB....the University of Baltimore where I am attending grad school gives an account of course. I never use it but some stuff only comes through there, basically informing of monthly events.
and whatever verizon gives for using dsl service which i do not care about and have never used.

Falstaff
04-17-2004, 02:32 AM
I selected 1, and now I feel so inferior.... I only use that one account, though it gets mail from 2 different names. Plus I have a couple Yahoo! accounts that I have used a little in the past for signup lists. I finally decided that I wasn't going to stop the spam coming into my account anyway, so I stopped bothering to use the Yahoo accounts when I signed up for things. Now I do feel like I should have my dad create a few more e-mail addresses for me just to keep up (he's my ISP).... :lol:

Jeff Rutledge
04-17-2004, 02:44 AM
I would have to sit down and count, but more than 10 for sure. I have 3 that I check daily though.

Kowalski
04-17-2004, 12:14 PM
i dont get it, why would a person want to use more than 3-4 mail accounts?
how do you guys get to manage them all at once?

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Me, personally, I have my one with my internet provider, one for Pocket PC Tools, my Hotmail, and some others that I don't really use. I check the three daily, however.

-Justin.

Aerestis
04-17-2004, 06:44 PM
I have two e mail addresses.

Janak Parekh
04-17-2004, 07:46 PM
i dont get it, why would a person want to use more than 3-4 mail accounts?
For different concerns, say academics, business, personal, etc.? People like to keep their contact info separate for separate things.

how do you guys get to manage them all at once?
In my case, they all forward to my personal server; I then have my email software configured to automatically figure out which of my personas to originate the email as. Pretty slick overall. :) I believe most people have multiple folder hierarchies in their mail client, which also works.

--janak

Zack Mahdavi
04-18-2004, 12:00 AM
terraform mars! Nobody gets it. mars-earth, turn mars into another earth. People know now :)

Steve, great email addresses, but I recommend you edit your post so that spammers don't get your address... do something like bob at bob.com.

Aerestis
04-18-2004, 03:59 AM
haha, thankyou for mentioning that. I am thoughtless sometimes