View Full Version : Free IMAP4/Web Mail

Stephen Beesley
04-16-2004, 02:32 PM
Just wondering if anyone out there uses or knows of a good free IMAP4 and Web Mail service. Over the last few months I have had my fingers burnt twice with Free IMAP services that have either been dicontinued (Dubmail) or started charging (Fusemail).

I am sick of having four or five different email accounts that I have to check all the time and would love to have one place that I could get all my email and IMAP gives me the ability to check things on what ever device I am using at a particular time (whether it is my desktop, my Jornada and wifi card or at an internet cafe) without worrying about the mail ending up spread across different computers etc.

Any ideas?

Jacob
04-16-2004, 03:20 PM
I posted to your other thread too, but FastMail (http://www.fastmail.fm) is a great service.

They have a very active help forum (http://www.emailaddresses.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?s=c784221adbc3dc5a9468f4b7dab24538&forumid=27) where the developers and expert users help out with any problems and/or feature requests for the service.

They have a free option that is more limited than their others(which IMHO are quite reasonably priced, including one that is simply a one-time $15 fee for a lifetime membership). Their plan options are here (http://www.fastmail.fm/pages/fastmail/docs/pricingtbl.html).

For their paid accounts at least, they have customizable spam filtering plus file storage and other features.

No, I don't work for them :)

PR.
04-16-2004, 03:22 PM
www.fastmail.fm offer a good service, I was using it before I changed to a hosted exchange 2003 system (www.eoutlook.com). They also have an excellent forum where the admins talk with the users so you always know whats gonig on.

One of the reasons I stopped using them was because it was difficult to delete email as the proper imap procedure of deleting emails just marks a line through them whereas MS's method is the more expected move to the deleted items folder.

Good luck!

PR.
04-16-2004, 03:23 PM
Doh, beaten to it :D

Jacob
04-16-2004, 03:37 PM
One of the reasons I stopped using them was because it was difficult to delete email as the proper imap procedure of deleting emails just marks a line through them whereas MS's method is the more expected move to the deleted items folder.

Fastmail's webclient does this too - but it's a workaround the way IMAP works which is to purge them after marking them deleted after an interval.

Some clients will do this too, but some will only mark them as deleted - which is what you see with the lines through them.

Stephen Beesley
04-16-2004, 04:07 PM
Thanks for the fast and useful responses. I have checked out the fastmail option and it certainly looks like a good one. As it happens, however, I have just discovered that my mobile phone provider (Vodafone) has a free service for users that includes IMAP access so I might give that a go for now - hey you can never have too many email address....