View Full Version : What's up with msmobiles.com bashing the MVP's

powder2000
04-15-2004, 01:13 AM
Does that guy have a bone to pick with most MVP's or what? The only reason I mention the site is that I use watchster.com for updates and that site is on the list. I have now seen two negative posts in a week regarding MVP's. The author especially has a bone to pick with this site and it's owners/contributers.

shawnc
04-15-2004, 01:26 AM
As I've said before, envy is an ugly emotion.

Wiggster
04-15-2004, 01:32 AM
Wow, that was quite a vehemont post. The only tie I feel to this site is that it has some of the most helpful people I can find. I donated a small chunk of change to show my appreciation. This is a good site.

So does anyone have anything good to say about msmobiles.com? It seems like it has fairly benign posts, until any sort of competetion is mentioned.

Sven Johannsen
04-15-2004, 03:48 AM
I have now seen two negative posts in a week regarding MVP's.

Only two?

JustinGTP
04-15-2004, 04:01 AM
He doesn't seem to like Pocket PC Thoughts, apparantely, Ed is a "lame writer" and so is the rest of the crew here at any Thoughts media sites. He is so jealous of what Jason has done.

I also read somewhere recently that MS gives Jason "thousands of dollars" each month.

He makes it up as he goes along and you should just ignore it, and going to his site only supports what he is doing. No visitors = no money from ads = dead site.

-Justin.

jake080
04-15-2004, 04:02 AM
people... msm.com is messed over, remember that!
dont return!
~Jake

Aerestis
04-15-2004, 04:31 AM
The site is too ugly to be read. I can't form an opinion because I can't keep my eyes open.

edit: That is weird, he seems to have a thing against Jason. This site is so much nicer and full of content, and it has a good community. Why wouldn't it be popular? Oh well. I guess it would be envy and jealousy and so on. You can't really deny that this site is nicer. (especially on the eyes)

Dave Potter
04-15-2004, 04:00 PM
Do you think his most recent rant might be because of the announcement about the newest batch of MVPs???

Despite the fact that he is always bashing MVPs, I get the impression that he REALLY wants to be one. I think his tactic is to bash them and make noise until MS gives him MVP status just to shut him up. So - when they announce a new batch of MVPs and he sees that his name is not on the list - he goes off on another rant.

powder2000
04-15-2004, 07:19 PM
Another question, why name your site msmobiles.com if your always going to bash microsoft as well as the the people who support them. :roll:

JvanEkris
04-15-2004, 10:30 PM
I do not understand his rating. He tries to judge people by some objective criteria, however the way he does it is totally subjective. Besides the over-obvious hate against anything related to PPC-thoughts, i see some things i do not understand. Some MVP's i know from the field and that got a bad rating: Bart Martens: CFO of the largest PPC-websites in the world (almost twice as big as PPC-thoughts), but it is intended only for dutch speaking people. Does that make the community smaller or less important? Apperantly not, because Christophe Cordonnier is seen as positive because he updates his french site regurarly. Carlo Guerrero: active member of many forums and fairly active for PPCW. I see it as a plus that knowledgeble people like him do not limit themselves to helping people on one site alone Dale Coffing: i admit his site is slow. However his forum is active AND from what i understand from american friends he is a regular promotor of PocketPC's on TV, reaching a public that normally isn't reached by the PPC-sites. Philippe Majerus, although his applications are indeed small, the registry editor and accompanying registry tweaks are famous, there is no resource like it. Sometimes it is better to focus on perfecting something simple than do a lot of things imperfect.I see this as faking objectivity. As i said in another thread: this guy is paranoia and has entered a negative spiral. I do not understand why he is so aggitated about MVP's. If you don't like the american award system, ignore it. I can not imagine that somebody has that much envy that he wasts any credibilty he has on his own site. I hope somebody wakes him up on time........

Just my 2 cents.....

Jaap

Jacob
04-15-2004, 10:37 PM
I see this as faking objectivity. As i said in another thread: this guy is paranoia and has entered a negative spiral. I hope somebody wakes him up on time.......

I agree it's faking objectivity, however I don't know if it's purposeful. Many simply see their opinion as being "objective" because, well, they wouldn't believe it if it weren't objectively true, right?

Zack Mahdavi
04-15-2004, 11:01 PM
Frankly, I'm annoyed by the way msmobiles.com persistently bashes anyone and everyone related to Pocket PC Thoughts. If he has an opinion about someone, he has no right to advertise it on a public web site such as msmobiles.com...

I refuse to even visit that site anymore.

JvanEkris
04-15-2004, 11:54 PM
I don't think it has anything to do with PPCThoughts per-se. Carlo and Dale have absolutely nothing to do with PPCThoughts. Bart has not even posted here once. Yeah, the Dutch PocketPC club links to Thoughts when appropriate and vice versa. But so does half the world when you have a scoop.

I think this person has a very strict definition of what a MVP should be, and he thinks he fits that profile. However, i don't think he understands what the demands really are. IMHO, Giving somebody a thumbs down is a big thing to do. How on earth can somebody judge a person for being rewarded the MVP title when not being possible to see what a person really does. Somehow he thinks he is something close to god that is allseeing and capable of judging people on all their activitees.

A shining example is Bart (he is CFO on my board, so i know a lot more details, but i know for sure it is the same with the rest of the MVP's). Unlike PPCThoughts you can't walk in on our site. You can't read a single post without being a registered member. You can't see how big the site is, you can't see how many members we have, you can't see the number of posts per day. Therefor you can't see the influence Bart has on the community and how big that community is. Let alone the work he performs backstage (like coaching TomTom and Alturion in the products that made PPC big in europe): it is completely invisible to anybody, including close collegues. How in earth can an outsider judge that without asking people in the field he worked with.

I see it as judging people by a glance, and then coming down on them. It is supperficial and it p^$$%$ me off

Jaap

Ripper014
04-16-2004, 01:11 AM
Actually I don't have a problem with his assessment of the MVP's... and from what I have seen in the sites that I visit... I can not really argue much with him/her.

I have not seen much real contributions from the people that I am fimilar with that got a thumbs down. Afterall the definition of a MVP is a Most Valuable Person... and from what I have experienced... not many on this list fit the profile.

There are some that are good... but for the most part I have to agree and say that the MVP's mentioned are not worth the title they have been given.

Jeff Rutledge
04-16-2004, 01:55 AM
Actually I don't have a problem with his assessment of the MVP's... and from what I have seen in the sites that I visit... I can not really argue much with him/her.

I have not seen much real contributions from the people that I am fimilar with that got a thumbs down. Afterall the definition of a MVP is a Most Valuable Person... and from what I have experienced... not many on this list fit the profile.

There are some that are good... but for the most part I have to agree and say that the MVP's mentioned are not worth the title they have been given.

Really? I think you will be in the minority, at least here.

Mitch D
04-16-2004, 01:58 AM

So you base an MVP on what you see on the net huh? From what I understand there is more to being an MVP that just posting stuff on the net. Alot of their works goes on behind the keyboard as it where.

Comments found elsewhere on the net about MVP's is mainly sour grapes. Especially when there is an indication that it's only the Mobile MVP's that do nothing. Like someone else posted... envy is such a wrotten thing...

baker
04-16-2004, 04:06 AM
It is full of sour grapes. Who knows what set things off. It reminds me of sitting at a school meeting. A parent walked out of the room and another went to bashing the one that had left. After a five minutes diatribe, turns out they went to high school together. During their senior high school year, one won an award the other had worked hard to earn and the other thought it was fixed. Everyone in the room is near or over 40 years old for goodness sakes. The one walking out is nice and the one bashing is nice (outside of the bashing). Both do alot of good work around the schools. Yet, they still have a 20 year old thought running around in their head and who knows how it's grown over the years. :(

Ripper014
04-16-2004, 06:45 AM
I can only base my own experiences with the MVP's that cross my path. If they are truly the MVP's they are supposed to be should they not make an impression on me. As well, should I not know more of them than I do...?

I am not trying to solicate an argument... I am just saying in my limited experience... I have not found many of the MVP's deserving of the title. It is only my opinion... just as the person who wrote the article is entitled to his opinion...

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 05:55 AM
Jason! Why did you make that sad little man over at MSMobiles hate you? Why! Why would you do such a thing!

Wiggster
04-17-2004, 08:47 AM
Jason! Why did you make that sad little man over at MSMobiles hate you? Why! Why would you do such a thing!

I think I found why. They went to school together back in the eighties.

http://www.wiggster.com/images/jasonbully.jpg

Turns out back then that jason stole his lunch money to buy those little Casio pocket calculators.

Kowalski
04-17-2004, 12:13 PM
anyway i like msmobiles because they hate nokia brand.
the enemy of my enemy is my friend because i hate nokia too!!!

shawnc
04-17-2004, 01:32 PM

Turns out back then that jason stole his lunch money to buy those little Casio pocket calculators.

This gets my vote. :rofl:

Ed Hansberry
04-17-2004, 04:08 PM
He doesn't seem to like Pocket PC Thoughts, apparantely, Ed is a "lame writer" and so is the rest of the crew here at any Thoughts media sites.
Hey, be careful there. I am a "very lame writer." Don't be messing with my titles Justin. :lol:

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 05:06 PM
Oh my goodness Ed, how could I ever screw up. I am ever so sorry you "very lame writer". I should probably mark that down on my PDA for future reference. :lol:

Dave Potter
04-18-2004, 01:52 AM

Haha! Good one!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Aerestis
04-18-2004, 04:01 AM
that kid is way tougher than me. I would be bitter if he beat me up too.