View Full Version : Sandisk 1GB SD For $266 From Buy.com

Janak Parekh
04-14-2004, 08:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.buy.com/retail/product_jump.asp?sku=90133388&SearchEngine=PriceGrabber&SearchTerm=90133388&Type=PE&Category=Elec&dcaid=15890' target='_blank'>http://www.buy.com/retail/product_j...lec&dcaid=15890</a><br /><br /></div>Yes, you read that right. 8O Interestingly, it's titled "SANDISK SDSDB-1024-A10 Secure Digital Card? (1 GB)", including the question mark. No clue if they'll honor that price, but if they do, it's an absolute steal.

piperpilot
04-14-2004, 08:08 PM
Just as an update, Buy.com apparently is honoring the price because I got an e-mail from them confirming my order and I just logged on to the web site and saw that my order has been sent to the warehouse. Nice :D

JonnoB
04-14-2004, 08:33 PM
I also ordered one (less $15 for being a new buyer.) Free shipping too. Good deal!

TheZodiac
04-14-2004, 08:56 PM
weird.. Im a new buyer and I didnt get that deal. so I clicked out...lol

hang5lngbd
04-14-2004, 08:56 PM
My distributor (ingram micro) sells the Sandisk card for $266.50. And that's only buying one at a time. So I have no doubt that buy.com has the ability to get better prices from it's distributors. (assuming they want to make more than 23 cents per item.)

JonnoB
04-14-2004, 08:59 PM
weird.. Im a new buyer and I didnt get that deal. so I clicked out...lol

You have to add a promotion code. I searched the net real quick and used the best one I found.

aviator
04-14-2004, 09:04 PM
no international shipping, unfortunately :-(

gohtor
04-14-2004, 09:27 PM
no international shipping, unfortunately :-(

Yeah too bad. I'll probably wait till my local london drugs stocks up on them.

Falstaff
04-14-2004, 10:02 PM
If anyone is interested in anything smaller, buy.com also has a 256 MB SD Card (http://www.buy.com/retail/product.asp?sku=10335081&loc=101&sp=1&mp=7) with a $15 rebate and free shipping for $45 now.

Glisson
04-14-2004, 10:03 PM
Personally I'm surprised that anyone would buy one. I'll never own another Sandisk card again after playing "data data. Who's got the data?" with a 256M card. I'll stick to Lexar and PNY.

Glisson

HTK
04-14-2004, 10:22 PM
I´m not a fan of sandisk either
I have a 128mb sd card from them with almost half of it in bad blocks
my panasonic 256mb sd is WAY better, really fast also

piperpilot
04-14-2004, 11:17 PM
I have three 256MB SanDisk SD cards--two will be up for sale on eBay as soon as I get my 1GB card--and I have had no problems. They all work just fine.

Small Town Man
04-14-2004, 11:32 PM
In Europe you can get the 1GB Sandisk SD for 275 €
http://www.computeruniverse.net/info.asp?id=90094852&language=english

The cheapest was 228 € (www.nurtec.de) but they are sold out.

[/url]

devhen
04-14-2004, 11:50 PM
Personally I'm surprised that anyone would buy one. I'll never own another Sandisk card again after playing "data data. Who's got the data?" with a 256M card. I'll stick to Lexar and PNY.

Glisson

Hate to burst your bubble but Lexar and PNY SD cards are re-branded SanDisk cards. All three are the exact same cards.

SimpleTech are the only company I know of that actually make their own SD cards. They also use their own memory controller which is usually the problem with faulty SanDisk cards. If your having problems, buy SimpleTech. Otherwise, most everything you buy is a re-branded SanDisk card.

dh
04-14-2004, 11:52 PM

Glisson
Same here. I replaced my 256 SanDisk card with a 512 Kingston and have not had a problem since.

SimpleTech are the only company I know of that actually make their own SD cards. They also use their own memory controller which is usually the problem with faulty SanDisk cards. If your having problems, buy SimpleTech. Otherwise, most everything you buy is a re-branded SanDisk card.
That's not quite true. There are several companies that make SD cards, Toshiba being one of the major ones.
The main problems are the one ones from low quality Third World countries, like China, ie most SanDisk. Most cards from Japan are fine.

smittyofdhs
04-15-2004, 12:25 AM
just ordered mine too...

as for sandisk vs. others.... I've used sandisk for years and have yet to have one problem. Keep in mind that any storage media can have a bad seed every once in a while. Sandisk works for me and many others just fine!

devhen
04-15-2004, 01:44 AM
I delved into this quite extensively about a year ago when I had a Dell Axim X5. The X5 had serious issues with SanDisk brand SD cards. As we found out, a good 90% of the cards out there are SanDisk cards that have been rebranded, so they also caused problems. As dh mentioned, the ones from Japan worked a little better they often had problems with the X5 as well (the X5 is a lot pickier than most any other device. With my iPAQ 4155 SanDisk cards work perfectly).

The reason these problems were occuring with the X5 (and this is also most often the reason other devices have problems with SD cards) is because of the SanDisk brand memory controller. Even the Japan SD cards use the SanDisk memory controller and thats why they also caused problems with the X5. The only company that we were able to find that both makes their own cards as well as their own memory controller was SimpleTech. Their SD cards are a bit more expensive but this is exactly why and if you are having any problems at all with SD cards I would highly recommend buying only SimpleTech. Its the only sure-fire solution to these problems.

bradolson
04-15-2004, 02:29 AM
Here is the $15 off $200 coupon link (http://www.gottadeal.com/click.php?type=coupon&id=225)

disconnected
04-15-2004, 03:44 AM
Oddly enough, the only SD card I ever had problems with was a SimpleTech 512 MB. Fortunately, I bought it at a Microcenter store, so had no trouble exchanging it; I've had the replacement one for over a year with no problems.

crispyb
04-15-2004, 04:13 AM
I found this deal on www.techbargains.com

eCOST has the 1GB CF for $159 - the $30 rebate

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=401820

Rebate
http://www.ecost.com/Images/RAPCoupons/5929.pdf

The rebate expires on 4/15 though.

jneely
04-15-2004, 04:38 AM
From my research, the big three producers of SD memory are:

SanDisk
Toshiba
Panasonic

All others (other than perhaps SimpleTech???) are re-branded from these producers. SanDisk are the most commonly found since they are the biggest supplier and also the slowest performing (and thus the cheapest). Panasonic are the hardest to find, but also the highest performing (and most expensive). Toshiba sits in the middle, being somewhat speedier than SanDisk and also somewhat more expensive.

I'd prefer to have a Panasonic SD card, but I'll live with a SanDisk until I can justify the additional cost... If I had the money to spend right now I'd probably jump on this deal. I really need the storage capacity.

FWIW I've had zero issues with my SanDisk 512MB SD Card.

jimski
04-15-2004, 04:41 AM
That's not quite true. There are several companies that make SD cards, Toshiba being one of the major ones.
The main problems are the one ones from low quality Third World countries, like China, ie most SanDisk. Most cards from Japan are fine.

So are you saying that my Korean made iPAQ is low quality. Still waiting for something to go wrong with any of my SanDisk (SD & CF) cards.

ADBrown
04-15-2004, 07:57 AM

So are you saying that my Korean made iPAQ is low quality. Still waiting for something to go wrong with any of my SanDisk (SD & CF) cards.

Well, your iPaq is only Korean if it's one of the 5450s, but actually he was referring to the SD cards. SD cards made in China are notoriously unreliable, while those from Taiwan and Japan are much better. Japan is the best.

bjornkeizers
04-15-2004, 12:55 PM
Sorry I'm late everyone.

I have been buying Sandisk brand cards for years. I've had CF, SD, MMC, Smartmedia - if they made one, I have one. I've bought literally dozens of cards in all shapes and sizes, and I have yet to have a *single problem* I use these cards every day, and I have never, ever had problems.

Askani
04-15-2004, 02:28 PM
Seems that they raised the price to $400 something. :(

CapRiker
04-15-2004, 03:03 PM
Yah, I saw this on my pda last night before bed and checked this morning :(

$419..

GJ to those who got in before the increase.

But eCost has cards listed at 269 as well, maybe they bought them all from Buy.Com ;)

http://www.ecost.com/ecost/shop/detail.asp?dpno=354542

piperpilot
04-15-2004, 04:21 PM
Just checked my order for the 1GB card from Buy.com. It has been shipped and is on its way via UPS Ground. I expect to get it on Monday.

My Price Grabber alert came up this morning with another deal on the 1GB Sandisk SD card--$245, I believe--but when you added in shipping, it was roughly the same price as Buy.com, so it's not too late to get one at a great price.

Scott R
04-15-2004, 04:38 PM
jneely, SimpleTech rebrands Panasonic cards. They even offer a better warranty than Panasonic's own cards.

Scott

jneely
04-16-2004, 04:55 AM
jneely, SimpleTech rebrands Panasonic cards. They even offer a better warranty than Panasonic's own cards.

Scott

Scott, I figured SimpleTech had to be re-branded from one of the big three. Are they exclusively re-branded panasonic? or is it luck of the draw as to whether you get Panasonic or SanDisk (or even Toshiba) when you look under the hood on the SimpleTechs?

Scott R
04-16-2004, 02:57 PM
Scott, I figured SimpleTech had to be re-branded from one of the big three. Are they exclusively re-branded panasonic? or is it luck of the draw as to whether you get Panasonic or SanDisk (or even Toshiba) when you look under the hood on the SimpleTechs?Well, that's one of the problems these days. None of these guys ever tell you on the packaging or on their web sites what card is "underneath". Plus, we may not be able to claim SanDisk as being awful now that they, too, have high-performance cards.

My recommendation would be to buy from someone that at least publishes their read/write specs. SimpleTech's site lists their SD cards as being capable of 10MB/sec read and write speeds. Traditionally, Panasonic was the only manufacturer that made cards that fast, but SanDisk now has a card claiming 10MB/sec speeds (though they may not be specifying whether that includes write times). So it seems pretty safe to buy a SimpleTech. What's really confusing to me is that a few months ago they came out with a new line of ProX cards which claim to be high-performance cards. Looking at the spec pages for both these ProX and their older cards reveal no differences, though. Both claim 10MB/sec read and write speeds. I sent them an email months ago asking what the differences were (if there even were any) and never got a reply. I suspect it was just a marketing ploy, though I don't know why they'd bother keeping the older non-ProX cards around. My other suspicion was that they were planning to transition their older line to slower SanDisk-made cards, but if they do that they ought to update their web site's spec page for the older cards to no longer list the 10MB/sec spec.

So, I'm not sure what they're up to, but for now I'd consider either of their cards to be a safe bet.

Scott

nerd1701
04-16-2004, 08:44 PM
Just checked my order for the 1GB card from Buy.com. It has been shipped and is on its way via UPS Ground. I expect to get it on Monday.

My Price Grabber alert came up this morning with another deal on the 1GB Sandisk SD card--$245, I believe--but when you added in shipping, it was roughly the same price as Buy.com, so it's not too late to get one at a great price.

Lucky you. Mine has been listed as "sent to warehouse" for 3 days now. I checked yesterday, and it was still listed as in stock w/1-2 day shipping.

Called them (their number is not on the website BTW). Found out it is back ordered until at least 4/27. Typical Buy.com manuever. They didn't know it was out of stock for 3 days? No wonder they have a reseller rating of 3.5!

I'll try somewhere else and see if I can get it. If not, I'm waiting.

Doug

piperpilot
04-16-2004, 10:10 PM
One of the benefits of being an early bird, I guess.

Len M.
04-19-2004, 03:26 PM
Buy.com has changed their price to $419.99! And they won't have them in stock for two week.

Len M.

piperpilot
04-19-2004, 04:52 PM
Me thinks Buy.com made a pricing boo boo and decided to honor the lucky few who happened to notice it. Mine is scheduled for delivery on Wednesday. Will provide an update once it gets here.

Len M.
04-19-2004, 05:05 PM
eCost has it for $269 but is currently out of stock.

Len M.

Len M.
04-19-2004, 05:08 PM
When you get it, would you please run the SPB Benchmark on it and post the results here (or email me the XML file: [email protected])?

Thanks!

Len M.

piperpilot
04-21-2004, 11:16 PM
I got the card this afternoon and am happy to report that it's the real deal. Seems to work fine and transfers files at the same rate as my 256MB card. My only complaint is that out of the box, it only had 968MB of capacity. I'm not going to quibble though, because I finally have room for more than 40 music files!

ctmagnus
04-22-2004, 04:00 AM
I'm not going to quibble though, because I finally have room for more than 40 music files!

Not to start a holy war or anything, but WMA version 9 encoded at one slot to the left of the middle will afford you 320+ files in that space, giving you 80x the listening time. Fwiw, the 88 WMAs that I always have with me occupy 190MB.

And 968MB is pretty decent. My Sandisk 256MB registers as 240MB (960 MB extrapolated).

Len M.
04-22-2004, 04:21 AM
We ran SPB Benchmark (http://www.spbsoftwarehouse.com/products/benchmark) on the SanDisk 1 GB SD card that arrived here today.

In an HP h2215 iPAQ, formatted to 64 KB clusters using Softwinter's Storage Tools (http://www.softwinter.com/storagetools.html), it is the fastest flash card we have ever tested in the 2215.

When formatted to 16 KB clusters it was fast but not as impressive.

See the results here:

http://www.core-sound.com/CF-and-SD-mass-storage-comparison.html

Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com