View Full Version : p2p for pocketpc

boicraig
04-14-2004, 06:56 PM
Is there any software available for WM2003 that would let me access Overnet, WinMX, guntella, KaZaA (to a lesser extent), etc on my iPaq 4155 via wifi. With a 512 SD card it would be nice to get files on the go...

craig

Jason Dunn
04-14-2004, 07:44 PM
Not really. There was an early alpha version of Kazaa that someone had released, but it was more of a proof of concept than a real product. If you Google around you can probably find it, but I haven't seen anything polished and ready for public use yet.

arnage2
04-14-2004, 11:00 PM
i thought years ago, ther was a napster style colne for ppc. Maybe im wrong

KenClunk
04-14-2004, 11:13 PM
Combining your PocketLANce and Pocket PC with GSM card you are getting a real wireless mobile networking solution.

I believe this might work. It talks about tranfering files within a network. And then says:

PocketLANce provides three options of the network access: by a conventional ActiveSync/cradle connection, by using a network card, and, finally, a wireless access to LAN via mobile phone or modem using RAS (Remote Access Service) or DUN (Dial-Up Networking).

Here it is: POCKET LANCE (http://www.pocketlance.com/)

Essentially if it can connect this way there should be a way to connect to other people. The only problem is that there is no server that I know of that you could connect to, to find the "peers". I'm guessing in the future we will see some. Of corse they will be pay sites though.

nirav28
05-04-2004, 12:17 AM
Is there any software available for WM2003 that would let me access Overnet, WinMX, guntella, KaZaA (to a lesser extent), etc on my iPaq 4155 via wifi. With a 512 SD card it would be nice to get files on the go...

craig

There is a wireless version of KaZaa. Its actually a webbased client. You install the KaZaa Wireless gateway on a server or home pc that has a consistent connection to the outside world. You need IIS and .NET framework 1.1 installed for it to work. Basically , the web frontend lets you do remote kaZaa searches on the kaZaa application running on your PC or server from your PPC. You can start downloads from the remote kazaa client. Do a search for "kazaa wireless" on google. Its a free application.

I tried it for a while. But disabled it due to security concerns. I don't run kazaa anymore.