View Full Version : Do you have a PC or a Mac?

bazza
04-14-2004, 02:02 PM
Recently I obtained a G4 Powerbook and haven't looked back!! Pocket Mac has been great for syncing my PPC and Mac. Just out of curiosity, do you have a PC, Mac or both?

:werenotworthy:

Anthony Caruana
04-14-2004, 02:57 PM
I'm currently on a PC but plan to buy either a Powerbook or iBook in a few weeks (as soon as bonuses are paid at work) so then I'll be a "both"

Steven Cedrone
04-14-2004, 03:10 PM
P.C., and honestly, I don't think I will ever switch...

Steve

buckyg
04-14-2004, 04:07 PM
I have a PC. For all the problems I have with MS, I don't plan to switch. For me, Windows is better than anything I've seen with Macs. But that's me, and it's all about what works best for each person, right?

dean_shan
04-14-2004, 04:47 PM
I have both. I could see my self go exclusively Windows but I couldn't see going the Mac only route.

hamishmacdonald
04-14-2004, 05:37 PM
I'm a switcher. But not the kind that Apple likes to acknowledge. I used Macs exclusively when I used to do design work, but when I moved to writing full-time, I switched to a PC because it would work better with my Pocket PC. Yeah, the Pocket PC is so central to the way I work that I consider it my main computer.

I did purchase and try to use the first two versions of Pocket Mac, but I hated it. I found it woefully unreliable to the point of it being dangerous; it was the only application I used that was capable of sending OS X into a "kernel panic". That's pretty scary when you're synchronising your data. Perhaps it's better now, and MissingSync sounds pretty good, but man, this is so much easier. Now everthing is made for me; it's like being poor all your life then someone suddenly handing you a cigar and inviting you into the Old Boy's Club.

My Mac friends and point out that all the virii and spyware are now made for me, too, but by applying a modicum of sense and effort, these threats can be avoided. Some of these friends talk about the Mac with a near-religious zeal that irks me; I hope I wasn't like that. Computers are just tools. It's easy to get into fanboy worship of them, like the boy racers near my house who all sit in their heavily-modified-but-still-recorgnisable-as-crap cars with the booming speakers. Ultimately, the machine is secondary to what you create with it. I think too many people worship the machines without producing anything. If that's the case, it doesn't matter what you own.

Pontificating rant. Whoops!

Aerestis
04-14-2004, 10:01 PM
I own both, because I wanted to and I had money. I got the mac a long time ago though... I guess three years now? It's a nice little machine still, excellent for what I got it for. I would still use it constantly today if it was in my new place. I'm not going to bother getting it until I move to vancouver though. But then I think it'll just be a machine for testing browser compatability and gamma and what have you :) I hope so anyways, because I'd like to get another mac by then.

I would like an apple powerbook, because I don't really see the desktops as useful for me currently. But the powerbooks look cool and would be great for all of my old sound applications.

PC's and Mac's definitely show differences in my experience when dealing with sound. And I liked that the iMacs had those tinny sounding speakers, so you could test to see what your sounds and songs would sound like on bad speakers. I'm not sure that's what they were intended for though :lol:

Wiggster
04-14-2004, 10:05 PM
I covet the new iMac, but I'm too much of a poor college student to splurge on a new computer.

Also, when are some new Mac PDAs coming out? :wink:

Surely we'd all like one of these
http://www.wiggster.com/images/iNewton.jpg

bmhome1
04-15-2004, 12:30 AM
What about Linux too? I run all three platforms (OSX, OS9, Win2000, XP, NT and Linux RH9 and YDL3) on my Mac Powerbook. Activesync works just fine in Virtual PC here.

Aerestis
04-15-2004, 04:34 AM
haha, that pocketmac device looks great. It's fake though, right? I feel silly asking.

Darius Wey
04-15-2004, 08:12 AM
ROFL...I'm sure it's fake!
Otherwise, that's one mighty res on that device!

And sticking on the topic, personally I prefer PCs and don't think I'll ever go to the fruit! :mrgreen:

Aerestis
04-15-2004, 10:09 AM
I wish it was real :roll:

This reminds me of forest gump when he notes his friend investing some his money in 'some fruit company' hehe

There is a forum called cgtalk.com, and whenever mac, pc, or mac and pc related threads come up, they transform into crazy hatred threads. I'm not sure why it's different here, but I have a feeling it's because people in these forums are a little older.

Does anyone know the mac to pc ratio in the computer world though? It always strikes me as so fifty fifty but I think I might be wrong.

Falstaff
04-15-2004, 07:06 PM
As of April of last year, Macs had a 2.1% world market share. I can't imagine its changed that much. Windows still holds about a 96% share with Linux, Unix, etc filling in the gap. Not very close to 50-50 Aerestis. :wink:

Wiggster
04-15-2004, 07:28 PM
To get an idea, go into CompUSA and look at the space devoted to PCs, and the space devoted to Mac. Mac has that dark, but pretty, corner in the back of the store, and PC has over half the floor space. The rest is accessories, some phone and PDA, video games, and registers.

Zack Mahdavi
04-15-2004, 11:26 PM
I switched about a year and a half ago to a Mac, and I love it... everything is intuitive. Plus, being a CS major, the UNIX backbone is extremely useful. Within 6 months, I bought my second computer, a 12" powerbook.

However, now I'm looking into getting a cheap Dell PC. I've been working with Linux a lot lately. I know I can install it on my Mac, but Power PC binaries are hard to get, and compiling from source can be frustrating at times.

So if anyone's looking to sell their old Dell PC (1.5 Ghz P4 +), send me a PM!

Kevin C. Tofel
04-15-2004, 11:56 PM
PC and C64...if you think ActiveSync 3.7.x is bad you should see AS for C-DOS!!! :wink:

Seriously, I have often thought about adding a Mac to the networked collection, just haven't gotten around to it.

KCT

JustinGTP
04-17-2004, 06:00 AM
PC. That's what I have, and I will never go to Macs. And plus my Dad's company has a partnership with Microsoft. So ya, PC it is.

Falstaff
04-17-2004, 06:23 AM
PC. That's what I have, and I will never go to Macs. And plus my Dad's company has a partnership with Microsoft. So ya, PC it is.

Exact same situation with me. While I get free MS software, and I can easily build PCs, I'm not switching over to Mac. Plus, I always thought the OS looked to childish and plain, just like the devices. I think I'm also too utilitarian for a Mac, I don't like the flashy iMacs or the "smooth, graceful, and simple" designs of the G5 and iPods. I like the plain, basic design of my e755. I think that now, if anything, Macs will lose market share in the desktop computer market. Linux is becoming increasingly popular, especially with support from big PC manufacturers, so there is a third option on the scene. Linux is also cheaper than Macs, as PC users can switch to it with the same hardware and most (much?) software is free. Long live the dual-boot!

ignar
04-17-2004, 06:23 AM
I often find similarity between Mac following and Palm OS following. They seem to share the same sentiments such as anti MS, emphasis on simplicity, stability, "Just works", etc.

I have 11 year old Powerbook and Lamp iMac as well as three desktop PC's and two Windows laptops. In my experience, Mac is not bad, but there isn't a strong enough reason to switch from PC to Mac. I've found Win XP is as much stable as OS X. There are a lot more software and solutions available for Windows platform than Mac OS, and usually PC solutions are cheaper. I admire the beauty of iBook and Powerbook and like to get one just for the look. But, if I have to choose one, I will go with my Panasonic W2 laptop.