View Full Version : Transfer from PC straight to CF on iPaq?

Dulanic
04-14-2004, 06:03 AM
Is there any way to transfer straight to the CF on my iPaq instead of copying a few files at a time and then moving them over to the CF card manually?

Also any good games for free you guys can recommend? Going out of town and want some things to play while on the plane :P

Ripper014
04-14-2004, 06:09 AM
The easiest and quickest way to transfer files especially large ones is with a Card Reader...

Good games..? Well if you need something to eat up so time... I could recommend the Everquest Series... there is always Fade.... or Gilbert Goodmate... Tower Mogul... Age of Empires... Sim City... Texas All-in Holdem Poker... Links... Egghead (Eggstreme)... There are many others but this should be a good start...

Dulanic
04-14-2004, 06:15 AM
I know I read of some software program that will allow you to transfer straight to the CF card.... I dont have the time to go get a CF reader before I head out, and I dont really have the time to go do it manually a few MP3s at a time.

Fishie
04-14-2004, 06:23 AM
Cut n paste

Quite easy actually.

Dulanic
04-14-2004, 06:24 AM
Cut and paste how tho? I can transfer a few MP3s at a time to the ipaq then cut and paste on the PPC to the CF card, then do the next batch, but that takes alot of time.

Mark Kenepp
04-14-2004, 06:37 AM
Cut and paste how tho? I can transfer a few MP3s at a time to the ipaq then cut and paste on the PPC to the CF card, then do the next batch, but that takes alot of time.

Using Windows Explorer, navigate to the folder where your MP3 files are stored, select the ones you want, right click and select "Copy"

Then, still using Windows Explorer, navigate to your mobile device (while it is connected, of course). Open the folder for your storage card and right click and select "paste"

You can also open two windows and drag the files.

It sounds like you are transferring your files using some music player like Music Match. I am not sure if there is a way to send files to directly to your storage card on your Pocket PC with this methode. Using Windows Explorer will probably be faster.

Getting a CF reader would be the fastest. :wink:

Dulanic
04-14-2004, 06:39 AM
Thanks so much! I had no idea you could access the CF card in windows explorer, I just got this thing 2 days ago :)

arnage2
04-14-2004, 12:47 PM
when you connect via active sync, on your desktop go to mobile device and some where in there there should be a CF or memory card folder.

Oreocat
04-14-2004, 12:54 PM
For free games, check out either http://www.freewareppc.com/ or http://www.pdahay.com/ which takes a little more time to navigate-it's not divided into catagories as Freeware is, but they both have some great stuff.

Also, check out Handango (www.handango.com) Any of their catagories can be listed from lowest priced to highest, and they do have several free games available.

Personally, my free favorites are PocketPop, Alienrats Canfield, and Hot Death Uno-be warned though, the adult version requires a certain type of humor :lol:

Have a great trip :)

Robb Bates
04-14-2004, 03:15 PM
You can connect via Windows Explorer and Active Sync, but for me it's just w a y t o o s l o w ... Unless it's just a small file. But when you're copying MP3s or anything else bigger than, say, 1MB, you definitely got to get a card reader. They can be had for less than $15 on eBay. I got two. One for work and one for home. The one at home I leave the card in the slot and have my Video Capture program send the files to the card. I can just hit record on my ATI Media Center remote control and have a WMV copy of a TV show waiting for me on my SD Card. Pretty slick!

Robb

KenClunk
04-14-2004, 04:42 PM
but for me it's just w a y t o o s l o w I second that. Buy a card reader.

ironguy
04-15-2004, 05:29 PM
I use Resco explorer as my PPC explorer. When you install it, Resco adds a "Send to My Device" line to the Windows right click menu. I navigate to the files I want to transfer, select them, then right click, 'Send to My Device' and select the PPC folder I want to send the files to. If they're huge, e.g. MP3s, I select my CF or SD card and go something else. Speed really only matters if you can't multi-thread your life!