View Full Version : Which degree has more value- 2yr Business or 2yr IT?

jbachandouris
04-13-2004, 11:34 PM
I have been contemplating returning to school. I presently have a 2 yr certificate from DeVry (1989) and several MS certification (2 exams until MCSE). The only work I can presently find is pest control :<. I am waiting for word from a copier company (tech position).

So, the question is which degree is worth more? What kind of jobs can you find with a Business degree? I am still in the dreaming stages, but I obviously need more info.

Darius Wey
04-14-2004, 03:37 AM
I don't think it's best to think of the degrees in terms of value.

(1) Which one do you really want to do?
(2) The other thing you have to consider is whether you can get jobs from it? I mean, of course you'll always be able to find jobs, but are they in abundance? Can you walk out with your degree and pick up a good job straight away?

Do you plan to stay in the US or go overseas?

But from my general impressions, IT jobs are on the decline, not just in my country, but worldwide. Having a business degree may help get you going in the commercial routes, or perhaps you may even want to set up a business? :wink:

Best of luck with your choice :D

jbachandouris
04-14-2004, 11:02 AM
I don't think it's best to think of the degrees in terms of value.

(1) Which one do you really want to do?
(2) The other thing you have to consider is whether you can get jobs from it? I mean, of course you'll always be able to find jobs, but are they in abundance? Can you walk out with your degree and pick up a good job straight away?

Do you plan to stay in the US or go overseas?

But from my general impressions, IT jobs are on the decline, not just in my country, but worldwide. Having a business degree may help get you going in the commercial routes, or perhaps you may even want to set up a business? :wink:

Best of luck with your choice :D

I have also considered a home business since I will be having some extra money in a month or so from a property sale.

As for what degree would help land a job, that is the point of this post: I don't know and that is why I am asking these questions.

Darius Wey
04-15-2004, 08:21 AM
starting a home business may not be a bad idea.

at the moment, i'm helping a friend with his establishment of a home business...and as i told him, you always start off small. in fact, you may end up losing money at first, but once you establish your client base and word of mouth starts kicking in, your rep will go up and more customers will come knocking at your door.

the bottom line is in establishing a home business, you don't really need a degree...anyone can do it! :mrgreen:

As for what degree would help land a job, that is the point of this post: I don't know and that is why I am asking these questions.

but like i said, it depends on the time, the place and what people are in demand for. have u considered other degrees besides IT and business?

PetiteFlower
04-16-2004, 02:05 AM
Have you thought about a double major? Especially if you want to start your own company, I think a business degree would be very valuable, but if you want to work in the IT field, then an IT degree would be more useful/practical.

jbachandouris
04-16-2004, 11:14 AM
Finances are a major concern and I would only be able to attend part-time at night since I have a family. I'm not really sure what I am going to do.

No one has answered one of my questions: Assuming I don't start my own business--What kinds of jobs can you secure with a Business degree?