View Full Version : Finally, a REAL Photo of the iPAQ 6300

Jason Dunn
04-13-2004, 06:15 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page748.html' target='_blank'>http://www.mtekk.com.au/browse/page748.html</a><br /><br /></div>Mtek has the first decent photo of the iPAQ 6300 that I've seen - the screen is pasted in, but everything else looks legit. Other than the chunky antenna, a nice-looking device! Go take a look...

jake080
04-13-2004, 06:28 PM
rrr... lunch with Jennifer :P
lol, yeha, looks really nice, as for me, Ive been all evil and shut it out of my future though :( i dont really like PPC Phnes, especially the added expence. I do enjoy drooling ofer them though as if i just had one, without any costs :D
~jake

DaleReeck
04-13-2004, 06:32 PM
I'll believe the pictures when I see side, back and top/bottom views too :)

Also, a 6700 "business" model with higher specs? I hate when companies do crap like that. So of course they will release the low end model first and no one will buy it because everyone is waiting for the high end model. Its a waste of time in my opinion.

Ryan Joseph
04-13-2004, 06:33 PM
Man, ths thing looks sweet! I can't wait to get my hands on one. And released in May?! 8O Even better!

Perry Reed
04-13-2004, 06:42 PM
Wow, that's nice! I just wish I could afford it!

qgman
04-13-2004, 06:44 PM
It look similar to almost every PPC/PPCPE that's been made in the last 2-3 years. Remember when there was still creativity in design? When every model didn't just have 2 buttons on either side of a d-pad?

At the very least, they should have put in an internal antenna like in those Nokia phones...

bblock
04-13-2004, 06:51 PM
It's nice, and I've been waiting for this unit for three years (before, during, and after the GPRS sleeve cancellation).

HOWEVER - it needs two things to go from nice to must-have:

1. A VGA screen
2. 128MB of internal RAM

Hello, HP? Are you there?

PR.
04-13-2004, 06:54 PM
Perhaps the lengthy antenna doubles up as a stungun?

V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... V.G.A... :D

maximum360
04-13-2004, 06:55 PM
It looks like the new HP brick. I waited for quite a while for HP to release a PDA phone and it seems to be still lacking. I know they're trying to pack quite a bit in there but I'd take the XDA II look over this one.

Also, no CDMA. :evil:

I was also hoping that they would pave the way for a 64MB ROM and 128MB RAM standard.

Lastly, I'm sure this thing will cost an arm and a leg. I have an i700 and that wasn't cheap ($600 from Verizon). HP tends to be on the more expensive side so I don't even want to guess what the cost of this will be.

My next PDAPhone needs all the above plus VGA. Dual slots would be nice too (why can't we get two SD slots even if one is only SDIO?). GPS would be a great addition as well, but if I have two slots and/or 128 MB RAM it's less of an issue.

Paul P
04-13-2004, 06:58 PM
HOWEVER - it needs two things to go from nice to must-have:

1. A VGA screen
2. 128MB of internal RAM

Hello, HP? Are you there?

3. 624mhz :)

outdoor
04-13-2004, 07:15 PM
heh this is a bit off topic, but where can i get that today theme?? i always see it in advertisements but i can never find it........ >.&lt;

Zack Mahdavi
04-13-2004, 07:22 PM
Interesting... I can't wait to hold one in my hand and try it out.

R K
04-13-2004, 07:26 PM
At the very least, they should have put in an internal antenna like in those Nokia phones...

You forget that this thing has three types of wireless technologies in it.
I'm sure the internal antenna space is already being taken up by Bluetooth and WiFi.

Zack Mahdavi
04-13-2004, 07:28 PM

You forget that this thing has three types of wireless technologies in it.
I'm sure the internal antenna space is already being taken up by Bluetooth and WiFi.

I agree.. plus internal atennas don't pick up signals as well as external ones... so since this is targeted to the business audience, I think an external atenna is a big plus.

manywhere
04-13-2004, 07:33 PM
I agree.. plus internal atennas don't pick up signals as well as external ones... so since this is targeted to the business audience, I think an external atenna is a big plus.
Not neccessarily, I had a Nokia 6310i (internal antenna) which had better reception than a Nokia 6150 with external antenna and a Nokia 9210 with semi-external antenna! 8O I didn't believe it until I saw it! :lol:
But that is probably due to better and newer compression algorithms included in the 6310i... or?

Ryan Joseph
04-13-2004, 07:36 PM
I like the external antennas myself. With an internal antenna, it looks like you're holding a normal PDA to your ear where the external ones at least look somewhat like a phone. :lol:

The coolness factor is always something to consider. :mrgreen:

dmjames
04-13-2004, 07:39 PM
Looks nice, external antenna perhaps for wi-fi like to 5550?
VGA will be the finish touch to a must have, unitl XDA III comes out?

manywhere
04-13-2004, 07:40 PM
Mtek has the first decent photo of the iPAQ 6300 that I've seen - the screen is pasted in, but everything else looks legit. Other than the chunky antenna, a nice-looking device! Go take a look...
Agree. The body of the device seems to be a bit overexposed, or is it supposed to be white or metal-like? :?
I hope the D-pad isn't as hard as the iPAQ 54xx had. Reportedly "a pain in the thumb". Looking at the buttons, one can clearly see that this was shot in somesort of a studio, making this look more legit than the previous "mock ups". (The screen is, as Jason says, pasted in. No moiré effect is evident as otherwise would show up in photos of TFT LCDs)

Also seems like this device is to have some sort of hinges on the side; perhaps for a lid(?) Or, maybe the sides are just improved 221x rubber sidegrips! :lol:

badbob001
04-13-2004, 08:11 PM
and a business model, the h6700, which will feature higher specifications and a 1.2 megapixel camera.

I would think 'business model' and 'camera' would be an unwise combination. And I see some stuff happening on the side... dare it have a jogdial?

ikesler
04-13-2004, 08:21 PM
It looks smaller than I was expecting....... GOOD! :wink:

dmy
04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
and a business model, the h6700, which will feature higher specifications and a 1.2 megapixel camera.

:onfire: AAAAAAAAAUUUUUUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:2gunfire: Please pardon the hyperbole, but IS HP STUPID?!?!?!?! :bangin:

:soapbox: A camera..... in a business model.... and it's the way to get higher specs. SHEESH... doesn't HP get that business users not only don't need cameras, they typically CANNOT carry a PDA or phone WITH ONE.

The buildings at HP's Cupertino and Palo Alto (California) campuses ALL have very promenent signs saying in no uncertain terms that you cannot bring a camera or a cell phone with a camera into the building, and that includes employees. So I suppose if I do some consulting (or go to work) for HP, that if I owned an iPAQ 6700 I couldn't use it in the office because it'd be sitting in a drawer down at the secuity desk. Every consulting job I've had in the past 3 years have ALL had a ban on devices with cameras.

(Breathe David.... remember our blood pressure... it's not worth getting pissed off over).

ctmagnus
04-13-2004, 08:55 PM
Considering the specs I've seen bandied about, the fact that it's a PPCPE and what DMY wrote about the camera issue, the only thing I care about in this device is the fact that it has a SMS inbox.

I'd love to have an SMS inbox on my standard WM2003 PPC. Is there a registry hack or anything that one can do to enable this feature in conjunction with a BT (or similar) phone on WM2003 PPC(non-)PE?

R K
04-13-2004, 09:41 PM
I'd love to have an SMS inbox on my standard WM2003 PPC. Is there a registry hack or anything that one can do to enable this feature in conjunction with a BT (or similar) phone on WM2003 PPC(non-)PE?

There's no way to get the Pocket PC Inbox in WM2003 to do SMS, but there are several programs that function as an SMS inbox.
One free piece of excellent software I like to use is <a href=http://www.siedler-net.de/WinCE/easySMS/>easySMS</a>.

heh this is a bit off topic, but where can i get that today theme?? i always see it in advertisements but i can never find it........ >.&lt;

It's on the Pocket PC website. You can download it <a href=http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/pocketpc/themes.mspx>HERE</a>.

mmarlor
04-14-2004, 12:10 AM
Perhaps the lengthy antenna doubles up as a stungun?

:lol: :lol: :lol: Now that's a feature I wanna see! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

KenClunk
04-14-2004, 12:12 AM
It looks good I guess but I still.

JUST SAY NO TO PPC PHONES

mmarlor
04-14-2004, 12:16 AM
Mtek has the first decent photo of the iPAQ 6300 that I've seen - the screen is pasted in, but everything else looks legit. Other than the chunky antenna, a nice-looking device! Go take a look...

I had that impression too - something about the screen didn't look quite right. Everything else looked ok though.

As to overexposed vs white - I'm betting on overexposed. Still, for something that just dropped in my lap - who am I to complain! :-)

Jonathon Watkins
04-14-2004, 12:50 AM

I would think 'business model' and 'camera' would be an unwise combination.

:huh: Indeed. Cameras + business do not mix. Also, you try finding a small phone that can sync with outlook that has Bluetooth and no camera! This built in camera malarkey is *not* a good trend. :|

It's bad enough on phones, but PLEASE not on PDAs! I already have to rule out the new Asus PPC as it has a camera. :twak:

rubberdemon
04-14-2004, 01:44 AM
It seems to me that I remember reading a few weeks back that there would be a business model with no camera - so perhaps this is a typo, or simply unclear info (it is a leak, after all), that we're all getting flaming mad about??

dmy
04-14-2004, 03:16 AM
:huh: Indeed. Cameras + business do not mix. Also, you try finding a small phone that can sync with outlook that has Bluetooth and no camera! This built in camera malarkey is *not* a good trend. :|

Siemens S56. Small, Bluetooth, Syncs fine with Outlook and my PPC (not to mention I connect to the internet from PPC through bluetooth to it), smaller than it's comparable brethren, better sound and RF than equivelent phones (including the T616), and IT HAS NO CAMERA!!!

I love mine, wouldn't trade it.

D.

Sven Johannsen
04-14-2004, 03:18 AM
I read those same specs and a camera and had the exact same reaction as several posters. Get a clue, OEMs. Can you take a camera, or camera phone in where you work??? Neither can I. Has your state, or locale, already come down on cell phone use in a car without a handsfree set of some sort? Leave in the BT but take out the d**n camera. If you think the thing is naked without a camera, make a removable one and include it or make it an option, or better yet include an SDIO slot and let me buy one if I want one.

yslee
04-14-2004, 04:57 AM
I said this before, and I'll say it again. Boring stuf as a phone. Somewhat passable as a PDA. I really was expecting more from HP.

theone3
04-14-2004, 02:04 PM
heh this is a bit off topic, but where can i get that today theme?? i always see it in advertisements but i can never find it........ >.&lt;Try here (http://www.microsoft.com/windowsmobile/resources/downloads/pocketpc/themes.mspx) and here (http://pocketnow.com/index.php?a=portal_detail&amp;t=skins&amp;id=625)

ale_ers
04-14-2004, 03:07 PM
I read those same specs and a camera and had the exact same reaction as several posters. Get a clue, OEMs. Can you take a camera, or camera phone in where you work???

Smartfone.net is reporting that there will be two models, the 6315 priced @ $599 with a camera and the 6310 priced @ $579 with no camera. The 6310 "no camera model only sold through commercial cannels."

I would like to see a comparison of the 63xx vs. the MPx so that we could see all the specs side to side. So far my take: the biggest differences are the form factor (clamshell vs. normal), the GSM bands (tri-band vs. quad). I also think the ipaq has a bigger battery and screen, but less resolution from the camera (unlike the rest of you I think an attached camera would be useful), and once again it is lacking the clamshell form factor. Decisions, decisions....I will be getting one of these devices, but which one might come down to wireless carrier.

Incidentally, DMY what do you use to sync your S56 with outlook? A data cable and some software?

Shaun Stuart
04-14-2004, 04:18 PM
I said this before, and I'll say it again. Boring stuf as a phone. Somewhat passable as a PDA. I really was expecting more from HP.

I have to agree - I am a real fan of HP and their pocket pc line but my first impression is that this is a big dissapointment.

Can anyone remember how innovative the first pocket pcs from hp/compaq really were. The 3600 series was simply the coolest device of its time - the ipod of the first Pocket PCs.

HP has followed this up with some great devices and some real innovative ideas. The original backpack concept was fantastic for the time, but they were also one of the first companies to add bluetooth and then wi-fi. Still not satisfied they went on to produce devices which included the first integrated keyboard and even fingerprint security. When the were not adding functionality they worked on making the pocket pc even more pocketable by producing the smallest devices ever, the 1900 range.

At one point the ipaq brand became so strong I actually heard people refer to all types of Micorsoft Pocket PCs as "Ipaq devices".

Now, while their new phone edition is the first to add wi-fi, bluetooth and telephone functions to one device there is a problem for me - it doesnt quite look like an ipaq anymore

Maybe I am over reacting and the device is better in the hand than in the picture but this does look like a brick that could have been produced by any other Pocket PC supplier. It makes me think about just how many of the last designs came from the original Compaq team!

I am sure the unit will still sell but I wonder how much of that is simply because it has the Ipaq brand stamped on it.

I think I will stick with my XDA2 until the MPx is released.

R K
04-14-2004, 05:26 PM
I have a few things that I'm observing here.

1. Everyone trashes a device before its release, with the exception of the Motorola MPx. Who knows what people will be saying after they get their hands on one.

2. The iPAQ H6300 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, until the MPx was announced. Why this is, I don't know. I guess everyone wants the latest and greatest, and 2nd best just doesn't cut it any more.

I guess Motorola really cut into HP's market share with the MPx. Only time will tell whether one really wins out over the other.

ale_ers
04-14-2004, 06:19 PM
Can anyone remember how innovative the first pocket pcs from hp/compaq really were. The 3600 series was simply the coolest device of its time - the ipod of the first Pocket PCs.

I agree, but I don't think it is as bad as everyone is making it sound. As I said before, it does seem to have advantages over the MPx (screen size, GSM bands, etc.), even though we don't know the true specs on either device.

That said though, I did get that familiar feeling that I had when I saw the first ipaq...this time when I saw the MPx. I will still have to compare them side by side (that extra GSM band the 6300 has could make a lot of difference), but it is nice to see the competition at the top. And if the MPx dethrones HP's cool factor, maybe that will make them hungry again.

Just as many people are speaking ill of the MPx that are speaking ill of the 6300. Competition is good, choice is good…innovation is good.

Shaun Stuart
04-14-2004, 06:26 PM
I have a few things that I'm observing here.

1. Everyone trashes a device before its release, with the exception of the Motorola MPx. Who knows what people will be saying after they get their hands on one.

I dont agree - you usually get a mixed opinion on new releases and there are still many people here that think the HP is a great device.
The idea of the forum is to allow users to express their opinion negative or otherwise.

2. The iPAQ H6300 was the greatest thing since sliced bread, until the MPx was announced. Why this is, I don't know. I guess everyone wants the latest and greatest, and 2nd best just doesn't cut it any more.

The device wasnt the greatest thing - the idea of HP producing a phone edition was.

Pocket PC fans have been waiting a long time for this and now the proposed specs are being released it just doesnt live up to the potential or the Ipaq name for some of us.

The XDA2 has all of this functionality (with the exception of wi-fi which can now be added with the CF backpack and 802.11b CF card). The XDA2 has more memory and has been available for months.

If this is the actual device HP are releasing it just seems 6 months overdue and no longer gives me that wow factor I have gotten used to with new Ipaqs. Having said all that devices do tend to look different in real life, I hope I am wrong about this one.

Just my opinion thats all

JBaDiver
04-14-2004, 06:55 PM
Well, to be honest, I've had 3 iPaqs and loved the advances each has had over the previous. Unfortunately, I don't see myself purchasing either of the pre-announced 63xx series machines. They are losing ground to ASUS and Dell and Toshiba. I'm considering moving to get better processor, better screen, more memory. The 63xx series seems to be designed a year ago, for a year ago.

Jonathon Watkins
04-15-2004, 02:08 AM
Siemens S56. Small, Bluetooth, Syncs fine with Outlook and my PPC (not to mention I connect to the internet from PPC through bluetooth to it), smaller than it's comparable brethren, better sound and RF than equivelent phones (including the T616), and IT HAS NO CAMERA!!!

I love mine, wouldn't trade it.

Thanks for the heads up. It looks great, but I can't seem to find one currently available in the UK. :| I take it that the phone is out of production, just like the T68i?

The 63xx series seems to be designed a year ago, for a year ago.

I'd have to go with that too. Funny how fast things move eh! :wink:

jimski
04-15-2004, 05:12 AM
It looks good I guess but I still.

JUST SAY NO TO PPC PHONES

I agree, but if it had 128MB RAM I could use it as my primary PPC with "all the time email" and forget about the phone side of it.

yslee
04-15-2004, 06:24 AM
Thanks for the heads up. It looks great, but I can't seem to find one currently available in the UK. :| I take it that the phone is out of production, just like the T68i?

It's likely to be, but have you checked for the S55? S56 is the Northam version of that phone.

Jonathon Watkins
04-16-2004, 03:19 AM

It's likely to be, but have you checked for the S55? S56 is the Northam version of that phone.

The S55 does indeed look good. I've decided I'm a two device man, so something like this and a Toshiba e830 and I'm set. :mrgreen:

Now, just to locate a S55 in the UK. :-/ I haven't seen one available as part of a contract so far.....

Imageman
04-22-2004, 04:04 AM
What heppened to RIM capabilites... anyone notice that is off the 'unofficial' spec list?

BIG BIG dissapointment. I am tired of having a 4150+Blackberry.

Jeff Rutledge
04-22-2004, 04:26 AM
What heppened to RIM capabilites... anyone notice that is off the 'unofficial' spec list?

Agreed 100%!!! I hope it hasn't been dropped. If this device supported BES integration, I'd be a very happy camper.

mjhamson
04-27-2004, 07:13 AM
Sorry for the late post/response but I have been out of the country.

I just want to tell all you whackers to stop spouting. The 6300 is not a tank, but rather a 22xx sized device that feels solid and comfortable in the hand. It is not small like the 19xx but not large like the 5xxx. When I played with it i was very impressed. So much so that I will be giving my z600 to the GF so I can pack the 6300. The only fear that I have is that the new Sony-Ericsson S700 will be what I really want.

As far as the MPx goes, I am hearing some pretty solid voices about it failing tests. I am sure it will be out, but the bigger question will be if the US mobile companies will offer it for sale.

-m

chunkymonkey75
04-27-2004, 12:22 PM

Agreed 100%!!! I hope it hasn't been dropped. If this device supported BES integration, I'd be a very happy camper.

Agreed. I have an iPaq 2215+Blackberry 7210. I'd love to have it all in one device. The good news is that I know for a fact that RIM has licenced the tech to MS and PalmOne. Whether it happens on the 6300 is yet to be seen.

ale_ers
04-27-2004, 04:29 PM
Maybe this will make the Moto MPx:

Motorola Licenses BlackBerry

Apr 21, 2004, 11:21 AM source: Research In Motion

Research In Motion (RIM) today announced an agreement with Motorola to license RIM's BlackBerry technology. Through this deal, Motorola will have the option to enable specific mobile phones to connect to BlackBerry® e-mail and data services

Imageman
04-30-2004, 10:56 PM
Please god let there be RIM. :)