View Full Version : Cordless home phones...

jake080
04-13-2004, 04:54 PM
I am trying to find a new cordless home phone, ya know, for mom and dad! ;) Anyway, i am wanting to know individuals opinions on the best cordless phones out there...

minimum 2.4ghz
caller id [duh!]
no built in answering maching needed
looking for perfect reception at any distance (within reason)
and perfect battery life :P

help!
thanks
jake

ps. ive been looking at those undien ones, but i need suggestions and reviews of sorts on anything!

rhmorrison
04-13-2004, 05:10 PM
I am very happy with my Samsung SPR6150 (http://www.samsung.com/Products/CordlessPhone/CordlessPhone/CordlessPhone_CordlessPhone_SPR6150.htm) that also has a built in digital answering machine but since you don't want that then you should take a look at the SPR6100G (http://www.samsung.com/Products/CordlessPhone/CordlessPhone/CordlessPhone_CordlessPhone_SPR6100G.htm) cordless phone.

My wife loves the hands free headset and uses it all the time to talk to friends on the phone while cooking/cleaning.

Highly recommended!

ironguy
04-13-2004, 05:49 PM
We have a Vtech cordless system that was purchased from Costco. The base unit has a digital answering machine and can accept up to 3 other cordless units. Each cordless unit has a battery charger/cradle. The reception has been flawless. We even walk around outside with them. Caller ID, even with Call Waiting. Holds numbers from the last 50 calls. You can page the other units, use them as an intercom and each hand unit has a speakerphone. They are comfortable to hold, have a removable belt clip and battery life is very good.

Besides, they use the same phones on Alias and 24, two of our favorite TV shows (but we had them first!)

Deltrevan
04-13-2004, 06:11 PM
Just make sure that if you have a wi-fi network in the home where the phone will be located, to get a 5.8 ghz phone. The 2.4 ghz models use the same part of the spectrum as wi-fi, and can cause interference or lack of signal with both the phone and the network.

I know from experience...I learned the hard way.

jake080
04-13-2004, 06:21 PM
Is that samsung not available in the US? i like cant find anything on it anywhere. looks like what im after though!

jake080
04-13-2004, 06:23 PM
hmm.. i do have a 2.4 wifi system here, though rarely used right now... could that be why my current 2.4 ghz, GE phone is so whackeD? it worked well for several months but just turned into a total pain.
Thanks

Deltrevan
04-13-2004, 06:32 PM
hmm.. i do have a 2.4 wifi system here, though rarely used right now... could that be why my current 2.4 ghz, GE phone is so whackeD? it worked well for several months but just turned into a total pain.
Thanks

It might be, Jake. That sounds similar to what happened to us. Everything worked great for a while, then crash. We struggled for weeks trying to figure out what the problem was. You'd be on the phone, and all of a sudden you'd be either overwhelmed with static and interference, or else the call would just drop completely.

At other times, we'd be surfing along fine with our wireless router, then all of a sudden, no connection. And the router's lights would be blinking indicating that it was trying to connect to our wireless devices...but couldn't. After we changed the two cordless 2.4 Ghz phones we had over to 5.8 Ghz models, we haven't had a single connectivity issue at all.

We later found out from a networking guru that the phones in the 2.4 range use the same part of the spectrum as any 802.11 B network. I did hear that one of the phone makers makes a 2.4 Ghz model that says "Wi-Fi friendly" on the box...but I haven't seen one locally.

But, I know you're safe with the 5.8Ghz models.

jake080
04-13-2004, 06:40 PM
Thanks, which 5.8ghz phones do you have?
can you tell me a little on overall preformance, and dumb things the manufacturers dont print... like, can you get away with holding the phone with shoulder, therefore cheaply handsfree lol... my mom insists on that sort of thing and wont accept a little earpeice instead :(
~Jake

jake080
04-13-2004, 07:25 PM
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0000CDEJU/ref=e_de_a_td/104-7654942-5383960?v=glance&s=electronics&n=1200610&vi=tech-data

anyone have anything to say abou tthis one?

Deltrevan
04-13-2004, 08:22 PM
Hi, Jake~

I haven't tried the Motorola that you linked to, so I can't really offer anything helpful on it.

I use the Siemens phones at home now. I don't know the model number off hand, but they're silver with orange illumination, and they are the ones that let you buy a base phone, and then add additional handsets to it as needed. That way, you can put a phone anywhere you have an electrical outlet. The quality (both build and reception) is really good by my standards. Plus, it comes either with or without an answering system built into the base unit.

However, they are too small and thin to hold between your shoulder and your cheek/ear. So, I guess they wouldn't work for your Mom. On the other hand, each handset has a built in speaker phone. So, maybe that's an alternative to the earpiece your Mom doesn't like. I would suggest going into one of the stores that have a large selection of cordless phones (I got mine at Fry's Electronics), and just trying them out. That way you can pick up, touch, feel, etc each phone. Plus, I think it would probably be best if your Mom could go with you, if possible.

Good luck!

jake080
04-13-2004, 08:41 PM
thanks again!
i like the Siemens ones, as well as the Frys selection! i dont know why i didnt think to check frys!
~Jake

Kevin C. Tofel
04-13-2004, 08:53 PM
I have this AT&T (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006LLHY/qid=1081885758/sr=1-2/ref=sr_1_2_etk-electronics/104-0030349-8018310?v=glance&s=electronics&n=172282) model and I'm very happy with it. It's 5.8Ghz so it doesn't interfere with my 802.11b. It also is expandable....you can add up to 6 handsets without the additional phone jacks. The base sends the signal to the handsets. Both the base AND the handsets have built in speakerphones which is a great feature. It also has digital answering machine functionality.

I've seen this for less than what Amazon is selling it for....try Target or WalMart.....good luck!

KCT