View Full Version : ANOTHER Headphones Question!

shawnc
04-13-2004, 12:46 PM
In what seems to be my never-ending search for a pair of quality headphones, I decided to purchase the Koss Pro 3AAT based on the review from CNET. I paid $50 which included shipping and taxes. "Not bad", I figured.

Problem is they don't sound as good as my $20 foldable walkman MDR-A35's. I don't know if the term is fidelity or what, but at the same volume, the cheap Sony's come through much louder and clearer.

But my intent was not to turn this into a *$%ch session, but to ask a question. In searching for headphones, I came across a couple of articles that mentioned "breaking-in" headphones. Is this real? I break-in my sneakers prior to playing ball or running in them, but breaking in headphones?

If there is any validity to this concept, can someone let me know how this occurs.

Thanx,

prismejon
04-13-2004, 05:09 PM
I know that you should brake in loud speakers; I believe it's because the membrane needs to be softened. But headphones don't have a "large" membrane like loud speakers do, so I guess it's not that important. Then again, I'm no audio expert..

Pixelnose
04-13-2004, 11:36 PM
There's a break-in FAQ over at http://www.head-fi.org - welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet. ;)

What's your planned audio source? What are you looking to spend? Do you have or are you planning to get a headphone amp? If so, what kind? There are lots of different kinds of headphones for lots of different kinds of sources. :)

shawnc
04-14-2004, 12:34 PM
There's a break-in FAQ over at http://www.head-fi.org - welcome to Head-fi, sorry about your wallet. ;)

What's your planned audio source? What are you looking to spend? Do you have or are you planning to get a headphone amp? If so, what kind? There are lots of different kinds of headphones for lots of different kinds of sources. :)

Pixelnose, thanx for the tip and link. As far as your questions go, to be honest, I simply don't want to think that much about a pair of headphones. Headphone Amp? Are you kiddin me? I just want something that I can plug into my Ipaq and provide a listening experience thats more enjoyable than I currently get. My standards aren't really that high.

But the lesson I have learned is that sound reproduction is really a personal choice. As such, buying headphones on-line is probably not a good idea. Much better to be able to sample them prior to purchasing.

One more thing, the site you provided the link to is really a great source for anyone looking to purchase headphones. Man, I would have NEVER thought that so many folks could feel so passionately about headphones :lol: .

Again, thanx for the info.

Pixelnose
04-15-2004, 04:41 PM
Yeah, we're a bit headphone crazy. I'm Plainsong over there, btw. :)

For great-sounding earbuds with an Ipaq, I'd go with the Senneheiser mx-500. My husband just loves these.

For a really grat open-sounding clip-on, I'd go with the Koss ksc-35. It's only available from Koss's website. Also the porta-pro uses the same driver, but is somehow more dark-sounding. I used to own both.

For a closed headphone that's portable - the Sennheiser px200, or the open px100 version. I have the px200 and it matches well to the iPaq.

For something that will isolate sound and goes in your ears, the Shure e2. Etymotics will be overkill.

I hope that helps you a bit. :D

shawnc
04-15-2004, 11:03 PM
Pixelnose,

I'm not really interested in earbuds. Something along the lines (in terms of size) of the Sennheiser px200 would be fine. You interested in selling yours??

This post, as well as your last one, was very helpful.

Pixelnose
04-15-2004, 11:31 PM
The px200 is handy especially for portable use since it keeps sound from leaking out and isolates maybe a tiny bit. No, I think I'll keep mine. They don't get much use, but the last time I sold them, I couldn't live without them and bought them again. :O

I'll probably use them as my dog-walking headphones. If you want a generous return policy, I'd recommend the Headroom, but they can bought for cheaper I believe elsewhere. :)