View Full Version : Intel Announces Bulverde Processor As PXA270 Series

Janak Parekh
04-12-2004, 05:00 PM
<div class='os_post_top_link'><a href='http://www.brighthand.com/article/Intel_Unveils_PXA270_XScale_Processors' target='_blank'>http://www.brighthand.com/article/I...cale_Processors</a><br /><br /></div>"Intel has taken the wraps off its next generation of processors for handhelds and smart phones. These chips, long known by their code name 'Bulverde,' have been officially named the PXA270 series. What many high-end handheld users have been hoping for with this new series is higher clock-speeds; the XScale line has topped out at 400 MHz since early 2002. These people won't be disappointed, as the PXA270 series processors will offer chips with clock-speeds of 624 MHz, 520 MHz, 416 MHz, and 312 MHz."<br /><br />I'm assuming the 520MHz processor in the announced Asus A730 is indeed this unit. The article goes on to say that the PXA270 units also have wireless MMX, which should boost multimedia throughput substantially. The one twist is that they also feature a Wireless Trusted Platform Module for storing DRM keys and the like; you can read more information on its implications in this <a href="http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=528&e=1&u=/ap/20040412/ap_on_hi_te/intel_secure_chips">Yahoo News</a> article. Nevertheless, I'm still looking forward to seeing this in Pocket PCs. :)

jake080
04-12-2004, 05:17 PM
ahh, thats a sweet sound... now to await the Asus a730 :P

whydidnt
04-12-2004, 05:36 PM
The higher clock speeds are good news.

However, YET another attempt by a big computing company to lock content to hardware instead of to a user! Just like MS has struggled to gain ground with their draconian Ebook DRM scheme, I suspect Intel will find the same success here. Who is going to pay for content that only works with their mobile device? These guys can't see the trees through the forest.

Also interesting is how it will allow mobile phone cos. to lock down their phones - Once again I refer to the MS model with their SmartPhone software. The consumers that are going to purchase these "high-end" devices that need/want all this horse power are not going to stand for "locked-down" hardware/software.

They effectively kill the market, before it's even started. :evil:

Jonathan1
04-12-2004, 07:07 PM

Why? :?: Are the current 400Mhz system really that sluggish? I've played with several current model Pocket PC's and they seem speedy enough to me.

Maybe this is just me but it seem like faster CPU's at this point are only for pissing contests. Its not like you are going to be ripping a DVD on your PPC or encoding a music file into MP3. I could see a legit use in database manipulation for business specific apps but other then that. Fortunately the CPU scales so hopefully OEMs will, in their infinite wisdom, see the benefit of having a 400Mhz model that will, presumably get better battery life then current 400Mhz models. For me that is #1 on my priority list: better battery life. IMHO everything else is gravy.

Fishie
04-12-2004, 07:18 PM

Why? :?: Are the current 400Mhz system really that sluggish? I've played with several current model Pocket PC's and they seem speedy enough to me.

Maybe this is just me but it seem like faster CPU's at this point are only for pissing contests. Its not like you are going to be ripping a DVD on your PPC or encoding a music file into MP3. I could see a legit use in database manipulation for business specific apps but other then that. Fortunately the CPU scales so hopefully OEMs will, in their infinite wisdom, see the benefit of having a 400Mhz model that will, presumably get better battery life then current 400Mhz models. For me that is #1 on my priority list: better battery life. IMHO everything else is gravy.

Some of us like to play games on our machines you know.
Personally im still waiting for better then full speed emulation of SNES and Genesis on my PPC.

Rudolf
04-12-2004, 07:33 PM
Hmm, I'm worried about the Wireless Trusted Platform Module too or more precisely, how it will be used... It's not just about locking digital content. It could allow a lot of other nasty stuff like allowing to run only digitally signed code on the processor or creating file formats that are impossible to reverse engineer. (ie. without reverse engineering the word doc format TextMaker would not be possible...)

whydidnt
04-12-2004, 07:49 PM

While I wouldn't say sluggish, there is room for improvement. Try opening contacts in PI or AF once you have 600-700. There is a noticeable delay. I would love to see the MSMobile operating system operate as quickly as recent Palm offerings- Anyone who has played with a Palm Tungsten C knows exactly what I'm talking about. Hit the contacts key, and all contacts are listed instantly - this is true even if using a 3rd party program such as Agendus or DateBook.

alex_kac
04-12-2004, 08:08 PM
CPU speed isn't the bottleneck in that. Its purely the database subsystem leaves a lot to be desired. That and the memory bus are the bottlenecks.

CPU can improve other things...but not data loading. Its all IO bound.

egandt
04-12-2004, 08:31 PM
I think that on a moble patform higher security can be a very good thing, I use ewallet and would like much stronger keys, which this should make practical, however I also agree that there are many abuses of this technology, such as locking content to a device. As long as it is poperly used this can be a major bonus, otherwise well my iPaq 5550 is go enough for me, and hey did not Sampson can a ARM chip of there own at 500MHZ?

ERIC

Spenser
04-12-2004, 10:30 PM
(May be somebody else tries to achieve that. It's worth a try. I will highlite the most important parts though.)

Intel stellt PDA-Prozessoren mit MMX und Speedstepping vor

Chip-Produzent Intel hat heute seine neue XScale-CPU-Serie PXA27x, bisher unter dem Codenamen Bulverde bekannt, vorgestellt. Zeitgleich mit den CPUs präsentiert der Chiphersteller erstmals auch einen 3D-Grafikchip für mobile Kleingeräte mit der Bezeichnung 2700G. Intels neue PDA-Prozessoren sollen sich im Vergleich zu den Vormodellen vor allem durch gezügelten Stromhunger, bessere Multimedia-Unterstützung und höhere Integration auszeichnen.

Bei den PXA27x-CPUs handelt es sich im wesentlichen um 32-Bit-ARM9-Prozessoren, die Intel gehörig mit Spezialitäten aufgemotzt hat. Sie kommen je nach Ausführung in Taktraten von 312, 416, 520 oder 624 MHz auf den Markt. Bei den Modellen PXA271, PXA272 und PXA273 hat Intel mehrere Dies übereinandergestapelt (stacked). Auf den Schichten über der CPU befindet sich Flash-Speicher oder SDRAM. Der PXA271 besitzt zusätzlich 32 MByte Flash-ROM und 32 MByte SD-RAM, der PXA272 64 MByte Flash-ROM und der PXA273 32 MByte Flash-ROM. Ein gesicherter Speicherbereich im integrierten Flash, das Trusted Boot ROM, soll verhindern, dass Unbefugte das Flash-ROM ohne Weiteres beschreiben. Dies würde bedeuten, dass PDA-Hersteller künftig vom Nutzer eigenmächtig ausgeführte System-Updates verhindern können.

Den PXA270 liefert Intel ohne Flash- oder SD-Speicher aus. Da die neuen XScales wie ihre Vorgänger auch Controller für die gängigsten PDA-Schnittstellen wie etwa IrDA, USB 1.1, WLAN, SD/MMC-Karten, Display und Sound mitbringen, befindet sich praktisch ein vollständiges Computersystem auf dem Die (System on a Chip).

Die frischen Mobil-Chips sind mit einer Kontrolleinheit für Digitalkamera-Sensoren bis 4 Megapixel ausgerüstet. Gleichzeitig enthält der Controller einen MPEG4-Encoder/Decoder, der Aufnahme und Wiedergabe von Videos mit einer Auflösung von 320 × 240 Pixel bei 30 Bildern pro Sekunde oder 640 × 480 Pixel bei 15 Bildern pro Sekunde ermöglichen soll. Unterstützt werden unter anderem CCDs von Omnivision, Agilent, Transchip und Philips.

Alle PXA27x-CPUs besitzen so genanntes Wireless Speedstepping, das heißt, sie drosseln bei Bedarf selbstständig ihre Frequenz und Betriebsspannung. So kann ein 624-MHz-PXA270 seine Taktfrequenz auf bis zu 104 MHz herunterschrauben und benötigt dann nur noch eine Spannung von 0,9 Volt gegenüber 1,55 Volt bei Volllast. Dies soll im laufenden Betrieb für längere Batterielaufzeit sorgen. Bisher besaßen vornehmlich Notebook-Prozessoren dieses Feature.

Eine weitere Neuerung ist die Wireless Multimedia-Extension, von Intel knapp Wireless MMX benannt. Mit 43 zusätzlichen Befehlen soll die Einheit Multimedia-Anwendungen Beine machen. Ein interner 64 Bit breiter Datenbus hilft beim flotten Aufbereiten von Multimedia-Daten. Die Wireless-MMX-Einheit soll besonders Applikationen wie etwa Spielen nützen, die 8-, 16- oder 32-Bit-Integer-Kalkulationen durchführen. Intel wirbt besonders in diesem Zusammenhang mit besserer Leistung durch die Integration intelligenter Features. Die Zeit, als Intel nur mit Megahertz protzte, scheint demnach nun auch bei PDA-Prozessoren vorbei zu sein.

Mit dem passenden 3D-Grafikchip 2700G will Intel vor allem Spielerherzen höher schlagen lassen. Wie die Großen hat er bereits eine Transform&Lightning-Engine und eine Textur-Filtereinheit an Bord. Er bringt je nach Ausführung 704 oder 384 KByte Grafikspeicher mit, kann aber auch den Hauptspeicher des Systems mit verwenden. Um Strom zu sparen, lässt sich er Kerntakt von 13 bis 75 MHz, der Speichertakt von 13 bis 133 MHz dynamisch regeln.

Die angegebene 2D-Füllrate von 150 Millionen Pixeln und 944 000 berechneten 3D-Dreiecken pro Sekunde mögen im Vergleich zu aktuellen GPUs zwar kümmerlich erscheinen, reichen aber für mobile Geräte mit kleinem Display und geringer Auflösung dicke aus. Im Dual-Display-Modus stellt der kleine Grafikmeister auf einem zweiten Ausgabegerät bis zu 1250 × 1024 Punkte (SXGA) dar.
Auch Video-Liebhaber sollen den 2700G schätzen, da er ermöglichen soll, sowohl MPEG-4- und Windows-Media-Video-Filme in VGA-Auflösung bei 30 Bildern pro Sekunde wiederzugeben als auch MPEG2-Dateien mit der gleichen Bildrate abzuspielen. Damit wäre auch die Wiedergabe von DVD-Videos kein Problem mehr für PDAs.

Damit die verschiedenen Talente von Intels neuen Kindern nicht brach liegen, hat man schon im Vorfeld bei den bekanntesten PDA- und Smartphone-Betriebssystementwicklern angeklopft, um Unterstützung bei der Implementierung anzubieten. Mit dabei sind beispielsweise Windows CE, Mobile und Smartphone, Linux, Palm OS, Symbian OS und SavaJe. Für fast alle Entwicklungsumgebungen hat Intel bereits entsprechende Programmierschnittstellen (APIs) in petto.

Intel kündigte an, dass schon innerhalb einer Woche Hersteller Geräte mit den neuen Chips präsentieren werden. Bereits auf der CeBIT zeigte Asus den Prototypen eines Pocket PC mit VGA-Display, in dem ein Bulverde-Prozessor arbeitete.

huangzhinong
04-12-2004, 11:05 PM
Good try. :D

Since you understand the article, will you mind translate the highlighed parts for us? thanks.

arnage2
04-13-2004, 02:28 AM
I want 600+mhz

Zack Mahdavi
04-13-2004, 02:40 AM
CPU speed isn't the bottleneck in that. Its purely the database subsystem leaves a lot to be desired. That and the memory bus are the bottlenecks.

CPU can improve other things...but not data loading. Its all IO bound.

Alex, I agree with you. I think these faster processors will speed things up, but not a whole lot. The CE subsystem needs to be optimized for faster performance.

I don't know anything about Pocket PC's memory architecture to comment.. do you have any details?

jizmo
04-13-2004, 07:22 AM
Chip-Produzent Intel hat heute seine neue XScale-CPU-Serie PXA27x, bisher unter dem Codenamen Bulverde bekannt, vorgestellt. Zeitgleich..

Danke shön for this nonsense. :twisted:

CPU speeds on PPC have indeed become a pissing contest, it's a constant race on wanting more and more instead of being satisfied to what one already has and making the best out of it.

But that's pretty much how all the things go in modern life, eh?

I know a lot of people to whom the speed of their desktop system is an excuse of not being able to do anything useful. And then I have friends who compose awesome music on 20-year old Commodore C64 without constant complaining.

That being said, now that I did upgrade my PPC to a system that runs SNES emulator flawlessly, I find myself liking more those old NES games I used to play on my old system. Go figure ;)

/jizmo