View Full Version : Verizon Wireless to make EVDO Wireless Broadband Available in 2004

piperpilot
04-12-2004, 02:53 PM
I read an article in The Wall Street Journal last week that Verizon would be making their EVDO wireless broadband Internet access service available to PDA users by the end of the year. Right now, it's only available for laptops and only in the Washington, DC (where I am :D ) and San Diego, CA areas. The Journal gave it a great review and noted that the speed greatly surpassed the much-hyped 3G technology in Europe. The only drawback they could find was that, at $80/month, it is expensive. I am definitely interested in this and will look seriously at Verizon Wireless PPC Phone Edition devices when the technology becomes available for PDAs.

Zack Mahdavi
04-12-2004, 04:03 PM
Yes, it's a very cool technology, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until the price drops. However, if the technology is as fast as broadband, and they offer unlimited access, then I might just dump my broadband connection and just do cellular!

whydidnt
04-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Yes, it's a very cool technology, but I'm afraid I'll have to wait until the price drops. However, if the technology is as fast as broadband, and they offer unlimited access, then I might just dump my broadband connection and just do cellular!

Exactly my thoughts - If I can get "near broadband" speed via Cellular - I'd drop my broadband connection and pay an extra $40/month to have anywhere anytime access. I think this is really where the future of broadband and internet access lies.

piperpilot
04-12-2004, 05:06 PM
If I can get "near broadband" speed via Cellular - I'd drop my broadband connection and pay an extra $40/month to have anywhere anytime access. I think this is really where the future of broadband and internet access lies.

In fact, the Journal article mentioned that as a likely scenario once the technology gets more mainstream, just as some people have dropped their home telephones and now rely solely on cell phones for voice communication.

Ryan Joseph
04-12-2004, 07:29 PM
This wouldn't surprise me at all. I'll bet many people decide to dump their wired broadband for the wireless version. I certainly would if the speed was similar. Very cool stuff here. 8)