View Full Version : Anybody using Verizon wireless?

miloshk
04-11-2004, 12:53 AM
I have gone trhough the Verizon Wireless web site trying to figure out how to connect my hp5500 to a cell phone. When you go to the data plans and select one, and then go to phones, only Smartphones, Aircards, etc. are available. If you go to phones first, and select a data phone, it then takes you to the calling plans page, but the data plans are not available. I went to a company store yesterday, and the only solution they had was the 'Mobile Office Kit' with a USB connection for laptops. (That was after I explained what a PDA was, and showed it to her, and she tried to find the connection. She found one on the cable, unfortunately I had to point out that end connected to the phone.)

I'd ideally like to connect both my PDA and Laptop (not at the same time) to the phone.

If anybody is doing this, is it worth it for the cellular connection data speed? They really don't guarantee any connection speed.

By the way, there are a lot of hidden 'Taxes and Fees' that are not real Government charges, and are given some rather clever and witty names.
Can I charge them back a 'Customer non-specific dissatisfaction universal access recovery and property use fee?'

buckyg
04-11-2004, 01:41 AM
Yes, I have Verizon Wireless. Here's what I did:

- Cell phone: LG VX4400, though you should be able to use many of their other phones.
- Cable: www.gomadic.com I purchased the LG to iPAQ cable for my iPAQ 5555 and the serial cable for the laptop. You switch one end of the cable depending on which device you are connecting to your phone. I do believe it's cheaper than VW's data kit.
- Plan: I have their SingleRate plan, because I go to areas in the Midwest that's not on their America's Choice, but I think you might be able to do the same on the Am. Ch. plan. Once I had the cable, I called VW and had them add Data as an option on my plan. So now my minutes are consumed either by voice or data calls. As long as I don't go over, no extra charges. I believe that they do have some other data plans. What I have works for me, but I don't connect via cell that much.
- Connection: I dial in to my work, so I use that number. So far, I haven't been able to connect to VW using Gomadic's instructions, but for me, that's okay. Their instructions also cover connecting using a laptop running the various Windows OS's.
- Speed: As I recall, it wasn't blindingly fast, but it got me connected. It's been awhile, so I don't have more details at the moment.

I hope that helps.

tospappy
04-11-2004, 02:10 AM
I use the Verizon express network with my 5455 and Kyocera 2235, which has been replaced at Verizon with the 2335. I don't use a cable from Verizon, but use the Socket High Speed Digital Phone CF card for the Kyocera phone. I get something comparable to dial up speeds (56 K). This combo requires that you have a CF card expansion or PC card expansion and adapter. The built in serial connection on the Ipaq is not fast enough to take advantage of the express network, but the HS DPC card circumvents the problem.

Verizon is currently deploying a new Higher Speed network, but the availabilty is limited and last time I checked they did not offer a PPC option, though you might be able to use the new aircard and a PC expansion pack.

I the express network when I am unable to locate a hotspot, which is becoming easier and easier to do. It also allows me to check my email while I am in the car, of course I am not driving.

tospappy

buzzard
04-11-2004, 11:50 PM
I use a Verizon phone (LG6000) to connect to my Ipaq using a Gomadic cable. I didn't have any trouble following the Gomadic instructions on their website. Another site that sells cables is http://www.thesupplynet.com. One time when I talked to a VZ data customer service person he emailed me a zip file of instructions for making the connection from thesupplynet that was far more complete than Gomadic's. Basic speed on a PDA is 14.4kbps and the higher speed is 50-65kbps, although at times it could be higher. I eventually changed to Wi-Fi because most of my internet surfing is done at home and Wi-Fi is 3X the speed of the fastest Verizon speed.

buckyg
04-12-2004, 02:36 AM
In the past, we have used their PC card (Sierra Aircard?) on iPAQs with a PCMCIA sleeve. I did try it on a 5455 but that was on PPC2002. Have not tried it while running WM2003.

I've just tried it enough to get it working for the boss, who was headed out of town and his regular phone was broke. It worked fine when I tried it and the boss was impressed both by it and the iPAQ.

thunderck
04-16-2004, 03:11 PM
I have been using "future dial" but on Sprint with a sanyo 8100 i get speeds 100K-120K consistantly. :D future dial is only for laptop but what I don't understand is why my connection speed is a little slower on my 2215 when I connect to the 1x network with a PPC cable? :?:

CapRiker
04-16-2004, 05:53 PM
I use a Verizon phone (LG6000) to connect to my Ipaq using a Gomadic cable. I didn't have any trouble following the Gomadic instructions on their website. Another site that sells cables is http://www.thesupplynet.com. One time when I talked to a VZ data customer service person he emailed me a zip file of instructions for making the connection from thesupplynet that was far more complete than Gomadic's. Basic speed on a PDA is 14.4kbps and the higher speed is 50-65kbps, although at times it could be higher. I eventually changed to Wi-Fi because most of my internet surfing is done at home and Wi-Fi is 3X the speed of the fastest Verizon speed.

This is what I do with my vx6000 and HP 4150.

WiFi is nice, but not nearly as available out of the house yet. Though, VZW has put up APs in Manhatten that existing VZ customers can use for free.