View Full Version : Any experiance with PNY SD cards?

JohnJohn
04-10-2004, 04:53 PM
Are these cards any good? Decent deal on 512mb?

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=309856&pfp=BROWSE

buckyg
04-10-2004, 05:06 PM
I bought one of these this week, same Compusa deal. So far, so good. I also have a SanDisk 512MB SD. (I have had no problems with that brand, btw) Normally, I wouldn't have splurged for another card but I lucked out, my wife wanted more memory on her PPC.

Seems like I read somewhere that the PNY should be faster. The PNY seems a bit faster. Using Pocket Mechanic though, the Read speed is much faster but the write speed is about the same, perhaps just a tad faster.

JohnJohn
04-10-2004, 05:13 PM
Great News, I am buying two, one for the PPC and the other for the SmartPhone.

buckyg
04-10-2004, 05:26 PM
Careful, you may want to purchase them separately, if you want the $20 rebate. There's a limit of one on those. Still, the $50 instant rebate knocks down the price quite a bit.

Oh yeah, this maybe better if the Retail forum, but it looks like Compusa has gone to using Gift cards for rebates. I purchased something else a couple of months back. The rebate did not mention whether it would be in the form of cash (check), gift card or what. Then one day, much later, I received a gift card in the mail from Compusa. The only thing that made me think it was the rebate was a mention that this was from the Rebate center or division. Otherwise, the letter/note with it just said basically thanks for your business. It didn't even tell me how much the card was for.

I took the card into the local Compusa. They scanned the card and told me how much it was. They asked if I was expecting a rebate, because that's what it was. Not a bad business move, I suppose. This way I won't take their rebate money and spend it elsewhere. But I won't be expecting cash back now, either.

Hope this info helps.

miloshk
04-11-2004, 01:05 AM
I don't trust PNY with rebates. I tried several times to get rebated for CD media and got nothing but trouble. I held my breath waiting for it, turned blue, and had to be buried and revived, and still no rebate check.

Comp-U-Plus has good flash memory at good prices, and I've never had a problem with them shipping on time.

I just ordered a Lexar 256MB SD card from Amazon. They charged my credit card on the 1st, and cancelled my order on the 6th, with no explanation. I suspect that Office Depot/Tech Depot/4 Sure.com did not want to sell it at the price I paid, since they said they could not ship within 48 hours. Every company blamed each other, you should see the emails, they turn to the ridiculous. They had 2688 in stock on their site. At the same time they jacked the price up on Amazon by 20%.

I feel truly bleesed to have been able to let them use my money to operate on, does anybody know if they are having financial trouble?
Needless to say, no more ordering from the Depot comglomerate for me.

JohnJohn
04-11-2004, 01:15 AM
Even with out the rebate, I figure $149 is not bad for 512mb. Considering I can have the "get it right now feeling". :D

buckyg
04-11-2004, 01:45 AM
Get it quick, I believe the sale ends tonight.

Zack Mahdavi
04-11-2004, 07:23 AM
Looks like a good deal.. but I think the sale ended, because it's currently $199 with a $20 mail in rebate.

JohnJohn
04-11-2004, 01:34 PM
I picked up one yestarday(Saturday) for the $149<less $20 mail in rebate>. Everything is working fine, pretty fast little card. It has no issues playing mp3s on my SmartPhone.

leeraff
04-11-2004, 03:03 PM
Have had no problems with a PNY 256mb card I bought about 9 months ago. Staples or someone was having a ridiculous sale and I snagged one.

I believe the sale was like $60 with rebate for the 256mb. At the time, it seemed it was about half price. No regrets nearly one year later.

And, my rebate DID come back.