View Full Version : Need help with sharing files on a network.

pocketdoc
04-08-2004, 09:59 PM
I am currrently using an HP 4155, which is connected to my home network via a wireless D-Link router. I have my XP Pro set up to "Share"
files with all users.

When I go into Resco to Map the network drive, the program sees my desktop, and all of the folders that I allowed to be shared. BUT, when I click "share" or "OK" after selecting the PC name or one of the folders, I get an error message: "Network not available because you don't have permission. Please contact the administator".

I enabled sharing via the administrator on my XP Pro machine, so I am not sure what the problem is.

Do I need to specify who has permission from my XP PC? I cannot see where do do that.

I hve searched the threads and have been unable to find a good solution foro this problem.

jali-p5
04-08-2004, 10:05 PM
i'm having that problem to and i think it's because in an Windows NT environment, you need to open up the sharing to include everyone otherwise you have to put in a user ID and password to get access to the share.....have to double check tonight....

dcass
05-12-2004, 02:53 AM
I had the same problem, but with my pc to pc network. Couldn't do a file transfer or utilize the printer through the network. So I called Microsoft ( I'm using the MN-500 wi-fi router). I had to go into the registry and delete some stuff. After that I had no issues. I have to call them again. I'm going to buy the Dell Axim X3i. I will assume I'm going to have do something.

suddenly_ike
05-12-2004, 02:54 PM
First make sure in that you disable the "simple file sharing"- feature in windows xp pro.
With this feature disabled you can acces more detailed file sharing properties and you can set appropriate permissions.

Ike