View Full Version : 5450 suddenly went dead after using Pocket Backup HELP!

lanwarrior
04-08-2004, 04:35 PM
I have a 5450 running WM2003 and I have it Pocket Backup scheduled to back-up everyday on daily basis at 5:00 AM. I usually leave my iPAQ on the cradle, charged every night.

This morning I woke up and found out that Pocket Backup have reported that the backup at 5:00 AM was not successfull. I proceed to do soft reset and perform a manual backup. The backup was successfull, and it perform a soft reset.

After soft reset, the iPAQ was shown a DARK screen with blackilight ON and some lines vertically with different colors on the left side. Nothing else. The unit doesn't respond to any button presses.

So I perform a soft reset. Nothing. I then took out the battery, wait for 15 minutes, and put it back. Nothing. My iPAQ just WON'T TURN ON.

What happened here?? My iPAQ is less than 8 months. I never dropped it or exposed it to high humidity. How come it is dead now?

Deltrevan
04-08-2004, 05:19 PM
lanwarrior,

Since you have a recent good backup, why not do a hard reset, and then restore from your backup?

That's what tech support is going to tell you to do anyway if you call them. Fear not though, even if it is dead. Because, if you've only had it eight months, it's still under warranty...so, no probleymo!

arnage2
04-08-2004, 06:04 PM
also, dont fear getting a new device because you have your data backed up. Perhaps charging your battery everynight ruined the battery.

lanwarrior
04-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Hi Arnage2 and deltrevan,

Thanks for the advise.

The problem was that the iPAQ just won't turn on at all. Soft reset, even attempting the Hard Reset multiple-button-press procedures doesn't do anything.

Finally, in last attempt, I took out the battery, left the iPAQ for more than 30 minutes, put battery back, say my prayers a few times, and hit the reset button.

VOILA! The iPAQ is ON again, but now it's in fresh mode, just as if it is has been hard-reset.

I did a restore using Pocket Backup and it all looks good. Couple of questions:
1. Does anyone know what is the cause of this sudden-death-syndrome?
2. After restore, the PPC date is May 5, 2003, even though the backup was done on April 8, 2004. Why is this?

Chris Spera
04-08-2004, 09:01 PM
The date and time are controlled by your PC. You either need to sync the device to your PC, or manually set the date.

It is very possible that the backup battery was preventing you from getting the unit to turn on correctly. You may have had a dirty bit somewhere preventing the power from turning the unit back on.

If this happens agian, do the same thing that you did to correct it this time, and things should be ok...

Kind Regards,

Christopher Spera