View Full Version : How to Setup WiFi on IPAQ 4155

pitterpat
04-07-2004, 02:31 AM
New to this forum and with a new Ipaq 4155.

OK, HP's instruction are bad for me on how to set up WiFi. I've got a wireless setup at home, which is:
1.Dell Desktop w/DSL modem connect to a Netgear router (upstairs).
2 Dell Laptop w/ wireless Netgear wireless card (downstairs).

I think I should be able to set the 4155 up to my wireless connection and detect but I'm not sure how. I think on my desktop I need to go into my Netgear setup and tell it that my Ipaq can talk to it (I have it setup to only recognize the wireless card in my laptop) but I'm not sure where to get the info from my Ipaq to key into my Netgear setup.

Thanks in advance. Any help is appreciated.

Pat

bigkingfun
04-07-2004, 04:13 AM
If you've got your router set up to only allow specific MAC addresses (the unique address that is assigned to the wireless adapter) you'll need to add your iPAQ's MAC address to the list. You can find the MAC address by going into Settings --> Asset Viewer --> Wireless LAN on your 4155.

Once you've allowed the MAC address from the router's setup, your iPAQ should pick up the wireless network and allow you to access it. If you've got an encryption key set up on the router, you'll need to enter it on the iPAQ before it can actually connect to the router.

Hope that helps...

ctmagnus
04-07-2004, 04:26 AM
Also, if you've disabled the broadcast of your SSID (as all wise wireless users do) you might want to temporarily enable it while you're getting everything working. Just make sure to re-disable it as soon as you've got a connection!

pitterpat
04-07-2004, 02:49 PM
Great, THANKS TO BOTH!

Pat