View Full Version : Is my ipaq going away?....

rzanology
04-06-2004, 06:04 PM
Well boys...This is it. A thought I thought I'd never think of. Will there be a need for my ipaq? For yeeears now (about 4) I've pride myself on getting an ipaq every summer. But this summer my annual events might be in danger. Why is that you ask? Well...the two devises to blame are the Motorola mpx and the archos av500.
By now im sure we've all seen the pics and stat sheet on the Motorola mpx. This thing is nooo joke. Its has everything from wifi and bluetooth right back down to a keyboard and nice dual flip thingie. I've been looking for a pocket pc phone for a while but none of them never caught my eye until now.
Then we have the archos av500. My friend has the 325 which is very nice. 20 gigs, plays all sorts of music and videos. It even comes with a connector that lets you copy straight from the dvd while its playing. The only draw back of this thing is the battery life sucks!!! At full brightness the device will only at about 2 hours, which is no where close where it should be. So im waiting for the av500 which is supposed to be smaller and better.
But...with the mpx being a smart phone which still uses a stylus and can function and run the same apps as my ipaq; and the archos taking care of all my media needs on the go...where does this leave my ipaq??? I really can't see myself not jumping at the next ipaq. But if i have no need for it will this bring some sort of calm to my addiction?
Any one else see a major change in their mobile habits down the line?

Jacob
04-06-2004, 06:21 PM
Not being able to buy a new PPC every summer??

Welcome to most people's lives.

rzanology
04-06-2004, 06:45 PM
its not an issue of not being able too...its "will i need to?"

Jacob
04-06-2004, 06:48 PM
My answer would be no in every case then ;)

Jeff Rutledge
04-06-2004, 09:41 PM
You could always go with the iPAQ 6300 when it comes out. It's a phone device...and it's an iPAQ. You could keep your record going! 8)

KenClunk
04-06-2004, 10:42 PM
I wish I could even think about getting any of those devices.

Either way I say to forget about the PPC phone. Don't get me wrong that looks like a crazy thing and it would be the one to go with if you go with any but to me I like to have my things seperate.

I'd imagine that the camera is decent but it's onlt 1.3 megapixels plus the flash is probably not that good. And it doesn't have all of the options that a normal digital camer does.

The phone service will have I'm sure will be okay. But obviously it is GSM and we all know that GSM is no where near as good as CDMA currently.

The PPC will have all the availablities as othe PPC's which is good However the screen is not as big. Yeah the keyboard is laid out the best I've have ever seen built in, but My fingers are defintially too big to handle that on a daily use. My overall thing about PPC/Phones is that they look bulky. I don't like talking on wide phone with the LCD next to my face getting smudges all over it. The screen is too small for a PDA and too big for a Phone.

Overall I'd be afraid of breaking it. The flip sreen being able to flip both ways is ahead of our time. None the less I can see my self flipping it open a little to fast and having the LCD fall and the screen scratch.

That is defintially the most perfect PPC/Phone and truth be told if I had all the extra money... I might go for it. But as of right now I like to have my Camera, my Phone, and My PDA seperate.