View Full Version : My first shopping trip

Aerestis
04-06-2004, 12:41 AM
I used my handheld to keep a shopping list for the first time. Well, it was pretty exciting, and I didn't have to worry about setting down my shopping list paper and forgetting it. I always do that. But elderly people seem to think you are trying to like, hack into the produce isle... or their credit cards maybe. They give you terrible looks :)

Well, I know people have used pda's and handhelds for this stuff for a long time, but I finally gave it a go.

And... Well, bejeweled is definitely more interesting for my walk home than a piece of paper is.

dean_shan
04-06-2004, 02:24 AM
Wow walking home with groceries. That concept is so foreign to me. I live 110 miles away from the closest store.

buckyg
04-06-2004, 02:39 AM
I haven't walked home with groceries in like 15 years. It was nice having a grocery store about a block & a half from home. Then again, it was a small town.

Anyway, I've never taken my PPC with me shopping. (I might take it to Compusa or a similar place if I want to do some comparisons sometime, I suppose.) Yes, with a great to-do/list program like ListPro or similar, it would make a nice shopping list. But I'm too afraid of doing something bad like drop it while picking something else up or crashing the cart because I thought of something else I want to do real quick while the iPAQ's out. (I'm such a klutz)

Trimac20
04-06-2004, 08:08 AM
They also have barcode scanners for PDAs, ah just one more of the million uses for your PDA!

Aerestis
04-06-2004, 09:36 AM
Yeah, I am about seven minutes walking away from the store. I'm actually that close to around four stores, three of which are grocery stores. About ten minutes walking from my house is a few more stores, most of which I never shop at.

I used to live up in Lone Butte, British Columbia, and the nearest store was about half an hour away. There was a little corner store near by, but it was a little pricey and had a small selection. My parents still live there, but I'm a little old for home and I moved out to get ready for college. I just turned eighteen the other day :)

How do those barcode scanners work? I thought they were super expensive, but I might be wrong. Would they just plug into your sd slot? I'm kind of interested in looking those up again.

Ripper014
04-06-2004, 09:45 AM
The bar scanners I have seen are CF based... and are attached to a wand with a cable... You can probably find one at Mobile Planet... if you care to have a look at one...

Aerestis
04-06-2004, 10:02 AM
wow, I definitely do not have 350$ to spend on a bar code scanner. Who uses these?

KenClunk
04-06-2004, 11:09 PM
I don't go grocery shopping but for any type of comparrison shopping I use it. I keep everything I've found out about the product in the notes section with typed font. It is much easeier than writing it all out on seperate papers and way easier than trying to remember. Anyhow I also use it to keep info on the product that i got off of online while looking at the stuff.
For grocery shopping this program looks pretty cool they have a free trial. Check it out here (http://www.sdmventures.com).

Steven Cedrone
04-07-2004, 02:07 AM
For grocery shopping I use VOShoppingList... (http://www.voscorp.com/asp/ppc/voshoppinglist/default.asp)

Steve

Zack Mahdavi
04-07-2004, 02:11 AM
For grocery shopping I use VOShoppingList... (http://www.voscorp.com/asp/ppc/voshoppinglist/default.asp)

Steve

I personally use PhatPad just to jot down what I'll be needing. However, this program looks pretty interesting.

Aerestis
04-07-2004, 08:45 AM
that shopping list is way cooler than my shopping list. Sometimes I wish I had a credit card, I would buy software then.

PetiteFlower
04-08-2004, 05:53 AM
Wow, moving out before college. There's a foreign concept, I went away for college but I came home every summer except my last one and I moved right back to my mom's when I was done....took me 3 more years to finally get my own place.

Well good for you!

Anyway that's a nifty looking program, but I use a simple little freeware called ListMan from Transstellar Software(I think) which does everything I need a list-making program to do :)

Aerestis
04-09-2004, 07:01 AM
For my palm I found an ok freeware list. It's called dbGrocery v1.01, and while it's sort of ugly, I like it better than memo on palm.

I moved out early because I was getting sort of lazy at home. For example, I used to never go shopping. And everyone that I know lives here, so while my parents are fun and we get along, I see friends here and find work with a few semi-business partners.

I was just reminded lastnight of all the spring sicknesses here which I'd forgotten about after moving back, such as the flu and gross headaches and stuff. Everyone here gets sick right now... I came across a bit of a flu :cry: In the spring and fall, everyone seems to get sick. Mostly with a flu :? yuck. I tried learning to program in a new language while I was sick, which I would say is one of the worst experiences I've had in a long time. I wanted to make my own list :D

Programming for pc seems much more logical than palm. I wonder how it is for ppc, but I guess it's equally crazy.