View Full Version : Discussion about E3

Fishie
04-01-2004, 01:29 PM
OK, say Jason are you guys gonna be at E3 or one of the events around E3?
If so id like to interview you for cybercafe, a Belgian technology TV show for wich I will be covering the event.

Jason Dunn
04-02-2004, 06:31 AM
OK, say Jason are you guys gonna be at E3 or one of the events around E3?

Sounds like fun, but no, I won't be at E3...until I start Gaming Thoughts. ;-)

Janak Parekh
04-02-2004, 06:42 AM
until I start Gaming Thoughts. ;-)
$ whois gamingthoughts.com

Domain Name: GAMINGTHOUGHTS.COM
Registrant:
J. Dunn

Get to it, Jason! ;)

--janak

Fishie
04-02-2004, 06:44 AM
I tought maybe SPB would be.
Too bad.

ethancaine
04-02-2004, 01:59 PM
Okay, both of these questions are a bit off topic, but they follow the flow of the conversation (kinda) so please forgive me.

1) How does the 'average consumer' gain entrace into these E3 shows and the like?

2) I see a lot of names on here a lot. Jason Dunn, Janak Parekh, etc. and I would just like to know what your 'real' jobs are? Is this site really profitable enough to cover living expenses for ya'll?

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE this site... but it always seems that the good sites are the ones that barely hold a candle to the financial wind.

Fishie
04-02-2004, 03:17 PM
www.e3expo.com will answer your questions with regards to E3 and no unless you are not part of the industry you are not supposed to attend(it happens tough)

Monty
04-02-2004, 05:10 PM
Well, I suppose I might just throw my hat into the ring. :)

I happen to have a few reviews under my belt at www.abfnet.com. Over there I have reviews for cases, batteries, keyboards, and software.

Examples below:

http://www.abfnet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8425

http://www.abfnet.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20016

8)

Oh yeah, my new HP 4355 is on the way. I'll be needing a new case...dumdedum dededee. :wink:

Jason Dunn
04-02-2004, 06:16 PM

Nah, Spb only has a few small, simple games - nothing that would warrant going to a gaming show. :-)

Jason Dunn
04-02-2004, 06:20 PM
I can't answer your question about E3, but I can answer this one:

2) I see a lot of names on here a lot. Jason Dunn, Janak Parekh, etc. and I would just like to know what your 'real' jobs are? Is this site really profitable enough to cover living expenses for ya'll?

The ABOUT page has most of the information that you're looking for:
http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/about.php

Everyone on this site except for myself is a volunteer, and between my three sites, I'm able to earn a partial living. It's all there in the bio, but you're right, you don't get rich running a Web site. ;-)

Fishie
04-02-2004, 06:58 PM

Nah, Spb only has a few small, simple games - nothing that would warrant going to a gaming show. :-)

Manny non gaming centered companies have a small presence at or around E3(outside of the actual IDSA E3 framework).
Ah well too bad, the TV show i will produce programing for at E3 is split in three between games, computers and general technology so it would have been intresting to interview you for it.

Squid
04-02-2004, 08:23 PM
I haven't seen this so far. How many reviewers are you looking for? Do you have a limit? What if you have several people with "skills" that impress you? Just curious.

Regards,

Kevin

Jason Dunn
04-02-2004, 10:44 PM
I haven't seen this so far. How many reviewers are you looking for? Do you have a limit? What if you have several people with "skills" that impress you? Just curious.

I'm looking for between 5 and 10 new reviewers, so that number isn't in stone - if there are 15 people who are great writers and can follow our template, I won't turn them away. :wink:

Falstaff
04-02-2004, 11:13 PM
until I start Gaming Thoughts. ;-)
$ whois gamingthoughts.com

Domain Name: GAMINGTHOUGHTS.COM
Registrant:
J. Dunn

Get to it, Jason! ;)

--janak

Hey when is this site opening? I'd love to be a writer for that!

Jason Dunn
04-02-2004, 11:31 PM
Hey when is this site opening? I'd love to be a writer for that!

I have no immediate plans for that site - it's just a glimmer in my eye at this point after someone suggested it might be a good concept for a site. I have around a dozen XYZ Thoughts.com type domains registered, enough to keep me busy for a long, long time. ;-) At this stage, the next Thoughts Media site hasn't been decided upon yet.

Altaman
04-03-2004, 05:44 PM
For all you current and potential reviewers, I came across a fantastic freeware utility that allows you to capture your PPC screen to your desktop computer.

The program is called "GetPDAScreen"!

Here is the info from the website:

GetPDAScreen 1.1 for Windows 2000/NT/XP
GetPDAScreen is a small utility to get screen captures from your PDA when its connected via ActiveSync.

Whats new (2004-01-05):
* Copy to Clipboard
* Save as TIFF, JPEG, GIF, PNG, BMP
* Use GAPI to capture screenshots directly from the screen memory.

I added the BMP to the above description as they seemed to have forgot to add to their description.

it can be gotten at:

GetPDAScreen (http://www.newmad.se/software.asp)

Enjoy!

Alt

Janak Parekh
04-03-2004, 10:34 PM
Manny non gaming centered companies have a small presence at or around E3(outside of the actual IDSA E3 framework).
True, but buying space at a convention like E3 isn't cheap. I don't see Spb's prime focus being gaming, so it's possible they decided it's not worth the investment. ;)

--janak

Fishie
04-04-2004, 01:36 AM
True, but buying space at a convention like E3 isn't cheap. I don't see Spb's prime focus being gaming, so it's possible they decided it's not worth the investment. ;)

--janak

Actually you can set up in Kentia hall for as low as 200$.
You have a lot of SMALL companies exhibiting there for all sorts of niche products and often you can find some nice stuff there that is overlooked by the mainstream press.

In 2k2 I was walking around there with a young up and coming Videogamejournalist called Heidi Kemps and we bumped into the vice president of Sega Japan and a guy called kataoka who recently became president of Sega´s AM2 studios(im sure you are familiar with Outrun) we chatted it up with them a bit and turned out they were walking around looking at the smaller korean and Taiwanese software companies.
As it turned out they did strike a few deals with some of them for distribution on the Japanese markets and it was a great succes for both Sega as well as the companies involved.

So yeah Kentia hall is cheap and riddled with oportunities.

Last year I saw a Linux fliptop keyboard PDA there wich sadly never reached production.

Steven Cedrone
04-04-2004, 05:03 AM
Posts split from this thread! (http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26355&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0)

Steve

sublime
04-04-2004, 05:02 PM
it's just a glimmer in my eye at this point after someone suggested it might be a good concept for a site

*cough*

Janak Parekh
04-05-2004, 12:02 AM
Actually you can set up in Kentia hall for as low as 200$.
You have a lot of SMALL companies exhibiting there for all sorts of niche products and often you can find some nice stuff there that is overlooked by the mainstream press.
Thanks for the info. Didn't know that. ;)

--janak

Fishie
04-05-2004, 02:42 AM
Iff anyone here is coming to E3 this year let me know, id love to meet up with ya(time permitting and unless you are Vincensozi :mrgreen: )

markcrump
04-05-2004, 02:10 PM
I'll be at E3. Hopefully the media room will have a decent WiFi connection and IR printer, since I plan on not bringing my laptop.

Fishie
04-05-2004, 02:50 PM
I'll be at E3. Hopefully the media room will have a decent WiFi connection and IR printer, since I plan on not bringing my laptop.

Yeah there is WiFi in the media room and HP is nice enough to be giving me a 420wbt printer so I can print whatever I want wherever I want.
Actually I think this year most of the showfloor will be covered with WiFi so my Toshiba e800 should come in verry handy.

What media will you be covering E3 for?

markcrump
04-05-2004, 03:17 PM
I'm one of the staff writers at worthplaying.com. The link to my articles is here: http://www.worthplaying.com/search.php?author=Mark%20Crump

This is my first E3, so I'm pretty excited.

Fishie
04-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Oh man, your first one.
I can tell ya its mighty overwhelming the first time, prepare well.

feel free to email me at [email protected] if you would like to meet up and need some tips on how to make the most of it.