View Full Version : Encoding file plays perfectly on my computer, but there is no sound when played on my PPC (video looks great).

Vasant56
04-04-2004, 12:21 AM
I encoded this yesterday, and when I tested it on my computer it looked and sounded fine, however after I put it onto my SD card and attempted to play it on my Pocket PC (WMP PPC) there was absolutely no sound. Can anyone help me remedy the problem so that next time I will know what to do?

Mitchybums
04-04-2004, 12:53 AM
What device is it (basicaly ppc2000/2002 or wm2003)
if its an older one you might have to update your windows media player on the microsoft website.

Also, try playing the original file on your desktop pc. It might be that you dont have a codec installed for the audio, and then it wont play the sound on your desktop.
if Windows Media Player can play the file the way it should, then windows media encoder can convert it.

if you play the converted file (the ppc one) on windows media player on your desktop, then you can select the properties (file-properties) and see what it mentions about the audio.

goodluck

Vasant56
04-04-2004, 01:11 AM
It's a Toshiba E310 with PocketPC 2002.. I updated it, but since I did a hard reset not to long ago, I may need to reinstall it. (unless it flashes it to the rom).

I clicked properties on the encoded file, and this is what I got:

Windows Media Audio 9
64 kbps, 48 kHz, stereo (A/V) 1-pass CBR

thanks

Mitchybums
04-04-2004, 01:28 AM
you might have to update your wmp again.
the audio bitrate is a little high, and as I stated in your previous post, look at the wm2k3 guide on www.bigdsvideo.com.

It has a section in there where you adjust the quality.

your device shouldnt go on a higher total bitrate then 250kbps.
try something like 20kbps mono for sound and around 150kbps for video for starters.
or check out the link in my sig.
it will allow you to do a small clip of your file as the trial version, but it should play on your machine.

goodluck

tbutts3
06-07-2004, 03:45 AM
I also have the same problem. I have Windows media player 9 on the computer(xp) and the ppc. The video is good on both but no sound for the pocket pc. The properties show:

Length: 00:47
Bit rate: 891 kbps
Audio codec: IMA ADPCM
Video codec: ISO MPEG-4 video v1 or vI

Mitchybums
06-07-2004, 01:32 PM
In mediaplayer on the desktop pc it should say something about windows media 9 audio.

Windows media 9 audio is playable even on wmp7 (ppc2000) devices.

It looks like there has been a custem codec used, and you might have to convert the audio stream.
Play around with Windows Media Encoder to get the properties right.
You might wanna have a look at www.bigdsvideo.com for some little tricks on WM encoder.

jeffmd
06-11-2004, 09:36 PM
try converting audio to 44khz

Small Town Man
06-11-2004, 09:59 PM
there is a bug in the PPC profile of WME
it converts audio to 48khz (should be 44khz)
you can download an updated profile from MS or just edit it manually

tanalasta
06-12-2004, 06:55 AM
there is a bug in the PPC profile of WME
it converts audio to 48khz (should be 44khz)
you can download an updated profile from MS or just edit it manually

This seemed to be the problem. Funny, trust Microsoft to get it wrong... the previous version of WME worked just fine! WME9 seems less user friendly too (despite the wizard). I'm used to the previous version which didn't have the problem with the sound. It's a bit irritating to have to change the audio encoding settings each time and I haven't found out how to save the custom profile yet - would you mind posting the link for the updated PPC profile please?

Thanks!

Small Town Man
06-12-2004, 12:51 PM
can't find the link for the download right now, but here is the link to the KB

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;813693&Product=wms