View Full Version : 2210 sync cable not working with my 4150

silentmuse
04-01-2004, 01:44 AM
I just sold my 2210 and bought a 4150. I like the device, but my portable hotsync cable doesn't seem to want to reliably charge my 4150. I plug it in, I get a connection, it starts charging, then after a few seconds it loses power and stops charging. Charging with the cradle works fine.

Anyone experience this? The cable worked fine with my 2210 so I'm wondering if maybe it's a tolerance issue or something...?

Paul

Dave Potter
04-01-2004, 05:23 AM
Yup. I've experienced the same thing.

The cause? The 4150/4350 apparently draws too much power when Bluetooth and/or WiFi is on. This problem is compunded if you are trying to syncronize at the same time. The result - the unit doesn't charge properly.

The fix - first, turn off BT and WiFi. Also don't try to sync and charge at the same time. Once syncronization is done, hit the 'stop' button in Activesync on the PPC.

silentmuse
04-01-2004, 05:44 AM
Hmmm... That's interesting. I actually first experienced it when I first took the 4150 out of the box - I tried to use the cable to make the initial connection instead of the cradle. Out of the box bluetooth and wifi was turned off, so it seems a bit odd to me.

I'll play with it a bit more and see if I can duplicate what you're talking about.....

Paul

silentmuse
04-01-2004, 06:35 AM
Yup, that seems to be it. I can't even get it working right with the wireless and bluetooth off. If I turn the entire unit off, I'll get a fast blinking Orange light, which I suspect means there's a power problem (the regular charging is a slow blinking Orange light).

*sigh*. I guess I gotta start carrying around the big ass charging block....

Dave Potter
04-01-2004, 04:59 PM
Or - try this:

http://www.seidioonline.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=SDCU2IP38

It's what I use now. It has a switch that allows you to switch between sync and charge modes. It seems to solve the problem.

ignar
04-01-2004, 05:08 PM
I experienced the same issue. My retractable sync/charge cable doesn't work with 4150 so I got a regular one. The regular one seems to work, but when the battery drops below 50%, it fails to sync. I have to turn off the device and wait until the battery gets charged to some level.

jsk5766
04-01-2004, 08:58 PM
According to the Javo people, the Ipaq 4155 really needs a charging voltage of close to 5.5 volts, rather than the ususal 5 volts. In most cases, the process will work if the battery is at more than 50%, but is iffy below this level. The charger they supply puts out the needed 5.5v and has a female USB connector to take the cable.

Jay