View Full Version : Would you upgrade to WM2k3SE, if it would cut half of your RAM?

omikron.sk
03-31-2004, 07:34 AM
Would you upgrade to WM2k3SE, if it would cut half of your RAM? This is an addition to a topic WM2K3SE = 24 MB of RAM less in your Device! ( http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26371 ). I'm curious about your responses and poll results.

dean_shan
03-31-2004, 08:55 AM
No I'd stick with my older OS. I can't give up 20MB of my internal memory. Although I don't think the final version will take that much memory. I'm sure they will have it reside in the ROM.

ixion
03-31-2004, 09:07 AM
I'd probably give up more than 10MB's - the way I see it, the bigger the OS, the more features available etc. Perhaps the upgrade ROM installer should give you an option as to what bits you wish to install (like when you are installing win95/98) so you have the option to save space on your ROM/RAM or wherever it goes - for example, if you dont want windows media player, or the ability to view things in landscape you dont have to install those components

socrates63
03-31-2004, 09:48 AM
I would be willing to sacrifice up to 10MB to do the upgrade, leaving me with 54MB.

The "killer" feature for me is the ability to change screen orientation without needing a soft reset. I tried nydtiot's software, and the required soft reset to change orientations bothered me enough to uninstall it after two days.

Omikron, how did you vote?

ixion
03-31-2004, 09:51 AM
lol dont start him off again: http://www.pocketpcthoughts.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26371

:)

popabawa
03-31-2004, 11:25 AM
I'd only upgrade if it doesn't take up any of 'my' RAM. The functionality I'd lose because I couldn't have all the software I want / need installed wouldn't be offset by the additional features I'd gain.

I think I'm more likely to but a new Pocket PC with more RAM! :D

Iain.

rock
03-31-2004, 11:53 AM
Of course, that's what flash cards are for. Keep all your programs on SD and you'll use little of your RAM. I always have well over 100 MB of RAM free on my e805, so even if it took 50 MB for SE I'd have no problems upgrading.

jneely
03-31-2004, 01:43 PM
The issue might be that it needs more ROM though... I'd happily jettison some of the ROM apps to pump up the OS. I don't need any of the ROM-based utilities that came with the iPAQ (Image viewer app, Backup app, iTask, etc...). I've replaced all of them with better options installed on my storage card. Surely they could be provided as optionally installable (to storage card) apps without requiring some of the limited internal storage.

For Many PDAs like mine RAM is in short supply
The biggest problem I'm having is that some things have to be installed onto internal storage and don't work properly on storage cards. This really puts me in a bind. My iPAQ had 64MB of internal RAM. Something like 54MB available to me. I'm trying to ensure that I always have 32MB of free RAM to run applications (some large games need almost this much).

That leaves only 22MB for:
* all apps that must be installed internally:
---- launchers (like Wisbar, Gigabar, etc...)
---- start menu replacements (like HandyMenu, SmallMenuPlus, etc...)
---- today screen apps (like Journal bar, Uptime, etc...)
---- keyboards (like Resco kb pro, or Spb full screen kb)
---- display switchers (like Nyditot)
---- app enhancers (like MultiIE)
* all stuff that gets stored in the \Windows dir:
---- shared DLLs (Pocket Informant has a 1MB shared dll !)
---- uninstall scripts
---- help files
* all internal database data (like contacts, calendars, etc)
* stuff in \My Documents (some of which are required/installed by apps)

Which is insanely hard to deal with once you start installing a lot of software.

I think I need a PDA with 128MB of RAM :(

edited: fixed typo.

Steven Cedrone
03-31-2004, 02:16 PM
While I would love to see them stay within the RAM footprint they use now (I'd be willing to lose my filestore as well), I would probably upgrade regardless of how much RAM it uses! It's just the need to have the latest and greatest that would force me to do it! :wink: Well, that and: W?BIC!

Steve

arnage2
03-31-2004, 02:22 PM
my e805 was probebly built for wm2k3se in the first place. I have to upgrade

Kash76
03-31-2004, 03:24 PM
---- shared DLLs (Pocket Informant has a 1GB shared dll !)

Holy sh*t, 1 gig! :)

fairyliquidizer
03-31-2004, 03:32 PM
---- shared DLLs (Pocket Informant has a 1GB shared dll !)

Holy sh*t, 1 gig! :)

How much internal memory do you have? What model do you have? Did you have to travel into the future to buy this wicked iPaq?

Tell me whilest there did you see how small iPods are in the future? Does history understand our contempory sense of humour, you know President Bush and stuff :-)

Love,
Fairy

jneely
03-31-2004, 04:39 PM
GB, MB what's the difference... :)
What I meant to say was... "... a 1MB dll"

I guess the memory constraints make even 1MB feel like a HUGE amount of space usage -- which my fingers turned into 1GB as I typed it.

Robb Bates
03-31-2004, 05:01 PM
I'd be interested in seeing which programs could be gotten rid of because of the new features of WM2K3SE. I would suspect that many people would get rid of Nyditot and maybe even some Single Column PIE viewers. And how much would that save? Would it offset the increase in the OS size?

How big is Nyditot?

What other software could you get rid of?

Robb

jneely
04-01-2004, 05:11 PM
Some people could probably get by without NYDITOT after the dynamic switching in SE, but it does still offer some unique functionality like virtual displays larger than the physical display (ie showing 480x640 compressed into the 240x320 on most current devices). NYDITOT isn't very big as PPC apps go.

It's disappointing that SE seems to take the bare minimalist approach to solving PPC screen resolution issues. I expected that the next rev would support arbitrary device resolution (rather than a handful of fixed sizes).

IE addons provide many other missing features/enhancements than the single column reformatting. So it's unlikely that people would get rid of things like MultiIE or PIEPlus.

I'd actually prefer to get rid of some of the bundled apps and recover the storage space for them... I'd delete Pocket Word and Pocket Excel and many of the OEM vendor utilities given the chance. I have things that I'd much rather store in that space (alas we're stuck with those in ROM).

Fishie
04-01-2004, 06:04 PM
You know this Beta release might disable the rom portion and just reside in RAM so that people who got it at the con can just hard reset and have regular Win Mobile back.

The size of it is certainly indicative of that.

Kowalski
04-01-2004, 07:39 PM
when i softreset my device it uses 8 megs of program and 4 megs of storage ram.
i install most of my applications to my rom and SD so i have plenty of free ram for landscape oriented OS.
i need it realy bad!!! whatever it costs