View Full Version : Help playing movies on Pocket PC.

boris4098tnt
03-30-2004, 03:29 PM
Hello guys,

I am new to this web site and I find it very useful. I have a Toshiba e805 Pocket PC and I am trying to play a movie on it. I have alot of divx movies and when I copied them to pocket PC it froze. I realzed that resolution was too big so I encoded it using Divx Doctor sofware. Now, resolution is fine, but every 2 minutes movie freezes. I was wondering what software or encoding show I use to make my movies go smooth without freezing. I don't care about a size of a file, cause I have a 2GB microdrive, and 512 SD card. Can anyone help me with some tips or advices, I would really appriciated it.

Thank You Guys

Mitchybums
03-30-2004, 04:43 PM
Basicaly you need to encode on a bitrate for divx below the 300kbps
on normal divx you are at more then double that.
Also the screensize of the movie is important.
It's nice that the tosh800 has 640x480 res, but you can get a lot better quality on the same screen when encoded on 320x240 resolution.

boris4098tnt
03-30-2004, 04:58 PM
To make an excellent quality without worried about the size, and having resolution of 320 x 240, what are the settings I put? Basically, the question is, exactly how many bit rate I have to put and what sofware to use to do that.

Mitchybums
03-30-2004, 05:43 PM
to have exact max values of the tosh 800, look on the forums at www.corecodec.com for PocketMVP encoding.

basicaly you can try small clips of like 10 minutes or something by trial and error method.

on a 320x240 screensize my Ipaq2215 can play around 300kbps video and 32kbps audio (mono) at a good speed, meaning you can use any video and audio bitrate combination as long as you dont go over 332.
PocketMVP has some stuff in it that can make use of the graphics chip in your tosh, meaning you can prob go higher.
but if you do a proper encoding, you can hardly tell the difference when higher then 300 for video.

www.bigdsvideo.com has excelent guides on DiVX encoding,
you can also have a look at my sig,
and of course the corecodec.com forums has additional info and recommendations.

prismejon
03-30-2004, 06:47 PM
Or you might give Windows Media Video (*.wmv) a try. I tried using DivX, but never got any satisfying results (sound got out of sync etc.), but I'm very impressed with Windows Media Encoder 9. The quality and performance is great!

Download the free encoder here (http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/9series/encoder/default.aspx). There is a guide on how to use the encoder
here (http://percontifamily.com/speedzone/vid.html), but don't worry it's easy! I usually use a bitrate at about 240kbps which I think gives good results.

boris4098tnt
03-30-2004, 07:24 PM
Thank you guys, you so helpful, I'll try to help you with anything I can as well. But I do agree, that when I do .avi encoding sound and video not synchronized. But I'll try Windows Media 9 Encoding and I'll see how it'll go.

Pat Logsdon
03-30-2004, 09:43 PM
It sounds to me as though the problem could be a lack of memory. How much is available when you run PocketMVP? How much after? Do you have any programs running in the background? What build of PocketMVP are you running? I'd look into those before you throw everything out and start over. :wink:

bigds63
04-01-2004, 10:53 AM
boris4098tnt, You might also want to make sure you have enable cache UNCHECKED in PocketMVP in the advanced tab for this will also pause your video playback ever min. or two as it caches your video before it is played...todays Pocket PC's does'nt need this feature.